Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebuilt Title 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How extensive was the rebuild? Does the Tesla warranty apply at all? Does a “rebuilt title” mean it can be insured, or is this the same as trying to insure a salvage title?

Great price especially considering it comes with EAP/FSD!

The damaged looked severe but no damage to the body/frame. The rebuild consisted of unbolting damaged parts and bolting on new / used parts. I replaced the front crossmember/subframe, complete left suspension, left wheel, left crushcan, reinforcement bar, radiator support, left fender, left headlight, hood, front bumper, all the cooling components(radiator, condenser, cooling fan, shutter assembly), steering wheel airbag, knee airbag, driver seatbelt and pretensioner.

As to the warranty, the warranty from Tesla is void. To local buyers, 1 year / 12,500 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 2 year / 25k mile battery / drive train warranty.

As of now, supercharging is function but may be disabled by Tesla in the future. Phil / Ingineerx is able to turn it back on but he charges 1,000. That's up to the buyer if they wish to do that.

All features of the vehicle work including autopilot. The car also still receives updates. Insuring this car is no problem. We've had salvage / rebuilt title cars in the family as long as I can remember and we've different insurers and never had any issue getting complete coverage.

Can it be re-certified by Tesla?
You no longer need to certify cars. You can take the car in for service or have mobile service come out. They won't service the high voltage system until they do an inspection of the HV system.

Reactions: T-Will
September 2018.

Pretty close to last time I went in and they basically told me to go take my car and f*** myself.

Will have to call the 800 and ask about the policy and try again and argue it. I need a new 12v and really don't feel like tearing half the car apart to get to it, I have other *sugar* to do.

Thanks for the info if its true, but I have a feeling even if it is the SC will be jerks about it

@Enigma32 this is straight from Tesla’s website.

Privacy & Legal | Tesla

Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy
An unsupported or salvaged vehicle is a vehicle that has been declared a total loss, commonly after extensive damage caused by a crash, flooding, fire, or similar hazard, and has been (or qualifies to be) registered and/or titled by its owner as a salvaged vehicle or its equivalent pursuant to local jurisdiction or industry practice. Salvage registration/titling typically can never be removed from the vehicle so that all future persons understand the condition and value of the vehicle. Tesla does not warrant the safety or operability of salvaged vehicles. Repairs performed to bring a salvaged vehicle back into service may not meet Tesla standards or specifications and that is why the vehicle is unsupported. Consequently, any failures, damages, or injuries occurring as a result of such repairs or continued operation of an unsupported vehicle are solely the responsibility of the vehicle owner.

Until Tesla can confirm that the vehicle is in compliance with Tesla’s safety standards and vehicle specifications, Tesla does not perform or support repairs involving the HV (high-voltage) battery systems in the vehicle because of the potential for the salvage vehicle to have sustained damage that:

• Makes the vehicle unsafe to drive
  • Makes the vehicle unsafe for any repair technicians that might work on the vehicle
  • Might damage Tesla equipment, such as Superchargers
When a vehicle is classified as a salvaged vehicle:

• Any Tesla limited warranties and extended service agreements for the vehicle are void.
    NOTE: Repairs due to recalls will be performed unless the safe repair of the vehicle is prevented either by the condition of the vehicle or by vehicle modifications not installed by Tesla. If the Tesla Service Center determines that the vehicle is not safe to repair, the recall-related repair will not be performed until the customer has returned the vehicle to a condition that the Service Center determines is safe to repair.
  • Supercharging is permanently disabled.
  • Parts availability is not affected. Any Unrestricted or Over-the-Counter part may be purchased for a salvage-titled vehicle.
  • A “Salvage-Titled Vehicle HV Safety Inspection” may be performed (at the customer’s expense) on the vehicle to determine if the HV-related components are safe to work on or access.
For more information about this policy, please contact a Tesla Service Center.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will