Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebuilt title on a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
This is my fist post on the forum but have been reading quite a bit for the past month, since my supercharging was turned off. I purchased a model x that had a rebuilt title from a dealer. I know what you are thinking, “you shouldn’t have purchased a salvage title tesla” and all the other cliches that seem obvious in hindsight. But this car was in a very, very minor accident where it hit a tree; the airbags didn’t even deploy. According to the NHTSP, the minimum speed at which a vehicle must be traveling for airbags to deploy is 8-13 mph when hitting a solid, fixed barrier. So the collision my car was involved in was low speed and therefore low impact.
I am very environmentally conscious and a firm believer in recycling. Me coming across this vehicle seemed like destiny. Well now it’s a complete nightmare! I had no idea Tesla’s harsh policy towards cars they manufacture with a Salvage Title. I was unaware that Tesla could just steel a function of the car that I purchased??? What’s the difference between my seats being permanently removed at my 1st service appointment and having supercharging disabled? I really loved this car right up to the point where I left On a trip to deliver some masks to my in-laws a couple hundred miles away, got 70 miles to a supercharger and the display tells me dc charging disabled. I called Tesla and was told that because my car had a salvage title, it could no longer dc rapid charge. I was in shock, my own car had betrayed me!!!! I just want my car back the way it was. Please, if there is anyone who can help me, I would appreciate it!! Maybe you know someone at Tesla who can help me. I can provide pictures before the repair, documentation that the airbag didn’t deploy. This car is no more unsafe than any other Tesla with a clean title. I honestly was just trying to do the right thing, give a great car a 2nd chance. It was really not that much less expensive than a clean title Model X.

This is my fist post on the forum but have been reading quite a bit for the past month,
since my supercharging was turned off. I purchased a model x that had a rebuilt title from a dealer.

I called Tesla and was told that because my car had a salvage title, it could no longer dc rapid charge.
It was really not that much less expensive than a clean title Model X.
Did you contacted Tesla to get your car re-certified?

This might be worthwhile, otherwise the only travel option is using public L2 chargers.

In the upper right hand corner of the page, click on the search symbol and type in the word (salvage). Good luck and happy reading! You will find your answers in many threads posted relating to that. Keep in mind that things have changed through time and the newest posts reflect the most recent Tesla attitude toward rebuilds. It has been a moving target and probably will continue to be...

I know what you are thinking, “you shouldn’t have purchased a salvage title tesla” and all the other cliches that seem obvious in hindsight.

100%.

If you didn't overpay for the car you can sell it and get some of your money back. No one here can help you, except to let you know that there is nothing that can possibly be done to restore supercharging.

Hello all,
This is my fist post on the forum but have been reading quite a bit for the past month, since my supercharging was turned off. I purchased a model x that had a rebuilt title from a dealer. I know what you are thinking, “you shouldn’t have purchased a salvage title tesla” and all the other cliches that seem obvious in hindsight. But this car was in a very, very minor accident where it hit a tree; the airbags didn’t even deploy. According to the NHTSP, the minimum speed at which a vehicle must be traveling for airbags to deploy is 8-13 mph when hitting a solid, fixed barrier. So the collision my car was involved in was low speed and therefore low impact.
I am very environmentally conscious and a firm believer in recycling. Me coming across this vehicle seemed like destiny. Well now it’s a complete nightmare! I had no idea Tesla’s harsh policy towards cars they manufacture with a Salvage Title. I was unaware that Tesla could just steel a function of the car that I purchased??? What’s the difference between my seats being permanently removed at my 1st service appointment and having supercharging disabled? I really loved this car right up to the point where I left On a trip to deliver some masks to my in-laws a couple hundred miles away, got 70 miles to a supercharger and the display tells me dc charging disabled. I called Tesla and was told that because my car had a salvage title, it could no longer dc rapid charge. I was in shock, my own car had betrayed me!!!! I just want my car back the way it was. Please, if there is anyone who can help me, I would appreciate it!! Maybe you know someone at Tesla who can help me. I can provide pictures before the repair, documentation that the airbag didn’t deploy. This car is no more unsafe than any other Tesla with a clean title. I honestly was just trying to do the right thing, give a great car a 2nd chance. It was really not that much less expensive than a clean title Model X.
I don't believe you get a salvage title if your car was in a minor fender bender.

\ I honestly was just trying to do the right thing, give a great car a 2nd chance. It was really not that much less expensive than a clean title Model X.

Then it sounds like you got the worst of both worlds... not that big a discount and a salvage title. Sorry, not buying the "stole my seats" argument. "Free unlimited supercharging" is more like your cellphone service. You can buy a phone, but you have to pay to connect it to someones network, and they dont HAVE to let you connect any cellphone to their network.

Your car works, but tesla does not HAVE to allow you to use their supercharging service (or premium connectivity, or any other "service" feature). Services are not hard goods. You still have your steering wheel, and can still charge your car at home and at level 2 chargers.

Maybe look into someone hacking your car, if thats something you are into, or sell it, and try to get one without a salvage title. Very expensive lesson, for sure.

On the "airbags didnt deploy" argument, there definitely can be accidents that total cars where airbags dont deploy. Depends on how the impact happened, etc etc. Airbags not deploying doesnt mean a thing as it relates to how bad the accident was, or the structural integrity of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Rich Rebuilds figured out a way to get supercharging working again!

Link?

That said, I think this seems reasonable that if ever our vehicle is damaged enough to need to be issued a salvage title, it means the vehicle was "totalled" and the auto insurance should pay out the total value of the vehicle. The important part is to not buy back the vehicle from insurance.

I also own a beautiful 2013 rebuild title car. I had supercharging for the first year of ownership and then (just like others) and with no warning, supercharging was shut off. At that point, I was not aware of Tesla's policy.

There is more bad stuff in that policy. Tesla will not repair or work on any of the high voltage components of the car (except for recalls) until they perform a safety inspection on the system. Of course, at your expense. The service departments are interpreting that to mean that they will not touch the car at all (except recalls) until that's done. I recommend having it done so that you can have the car repaired by Tesla if it becomes necessary (partially re-patriates the car with Tesla. It's not "Typhoid Mary" anymore.). I've got to believe that it also adds some value back into the car. Mine cost $1,200.00

I'm looking into what might be possible legally. Interested? See my thread elsewhere.

BTW: I TOTALLY dis-agree with the statement that one should NEVER buy a salvage-rebuild car, but it is definitely a "Buyer Beware" issue. There are a lot of good ones out there, and if your needs are no more than 70-80% of the battery's range, you will not miss supercharging (it's hard on the battery anyway).