Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rec for electrician in OC/Irvine area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I'm in the Irvine/OC area and looking for recs for an affordable electrician to install a 240v/NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage and the cost you paid.

My wife is giving me a hard time as we had the option to have the builder do it for $300 (no longer an option), now I'm learning it's always better to listen to the wife :).

I had neighbors go through the Tesla recs and was around $900 so want to be better then that and if I can get close to the builder cost so I don't have to listen to all the nags that'd be PRICELESS! ;)

Thanks so much!

Anybody have ideas on this? I'm in the same boat...got a quote today in Orange for $1025 for a 40 foot run. No tricks or gotchas, new construction so the panel is good to go.

Is the standard rate for electricians really $150/hr? Maybe I'm in the wrong business.

Got another quote to day of $550 base + $20 a foot of wire from "johnny electric", so for 40feet to run it from one side of my garage to the other (my panel is on the opposite wall) its $1350. Even worse than the first quote! The word "tesla" was never mentioned during the call.

Surely somebody had recommendations for an electrician that has a reasonable price.

Anybody have ideas on this? I'm in the same boat...got a quote today in Orange for $1025 for a 40 foot run. No tricks or gotchas, new construction so the panel is good to go.

Is the standard rate for electricians really $150/hr? Maybe I'm in the wrong business.

That's kind of funny! I said the same thing to the electrician that came out to give me our first estimate. Then he lowered the price a couple of days later. I contacted two more electricians and removed the Teslas from the garage and was quoted a few hundred less than the lowest offer made by the first (a Tesla approved electrician). I only asked for two NEMA 14-50 outlets and a separate 100A sub panel box for the garage.

Hint. Get the Tesla out of the garage and ask for NEMA 14-50 outlet. Once you have the wiring in place it's quite simple to install the HPWC where the outlet is.

I remember everything costing more on a BMW and Porsche. I guess there is a Tesla tax now?

Don't know if it's too late to help you guys out but I just got mine done today for $300 in Irvine CA. Took less than an hour for them to install and charges perfectly fine. They knew it was for a Tesla. I sent them the Tesla NEMA 14-50 spec sheet. Buncha guys I called wanted $650- $1000+. Such a joke. Call these guys if you still need it...Hi Power Electric out of Laguna Niguel. Yes, they are licensed.

Thanks! Did it include permit and inspection?

So called probably about 8 different folks, I could get as low as $300 from a licensed electrician but didn't include city permitting and inspection.

If you add that in then it boosts the costs, the permit alone is around $48 and then you add the labor ($100+/hr) of getting the permit and waiting around for the inspector to come, etc...

Of all the places, actually found Johnny to be most reasonable (much cheaper then the Tesla recommended guys, for the price they charge for one outlet, getting two to future-proof plus only pull permit once) that included:
- licensed electrician
- city permit fee
- city inspection

Plus I had a lot of neighbors also use him so he's very familiar with my wiring.

I did find someone out of a van that would do it for less than $300, but is it worth the risk?

Unfortunately, Irvine requires permits for any electrical work (officially) and if anything WOULD to happen didn't want to have issues with claiming any home owner insurance as well as possibly having my HOA go after me too :(... You really don't want to risk getting a housing claim denied (if something were to happen) cause you didn't follow proper regulations.

You don't want to end up like this person (which inciedently happened IN Irvine)
Exclusive: No permit for electrical work where Tesla charging fire occurred - Torque News

Thanks! Did it include permit and inspection?

So called probably about 8 different folks, I could get as low as $300 from a licensed electrician but didn't include city permitting and inspection.

If you add that in then it boosts the costs, the permit alone is around $48 and then you add the labor ($100+/hr) of getting the permit and waiting around for the inspector to come, etc...

Of all the places, actually found Johnny to be most reasonable (much cheaper then the Tesla recommended guys, for the price they charge for one outlet, getting two to future-proof plus only pull permit once) that included:
- licensed electrician
- city permit fee
- city inspection

Plus I had a lot of neighbors also use him so he's very familiar with my wiring.

I did find someone out of a van that would do it for less than $300, but is it worth the risk?

Unfortunately, Irvine requires permits for any electrical work (officially) and if anything WOULD to happen didn't want to have issues with claiming any home owner insurance as well as possibly having my HOA go after me too :(... You really don't want to risk getting a housing claim denied (if something were to happen) cause you didn't follow proper regulations.

You don't want to end up like this person (which inciedently happened IN Irvine)
Exclusive: No permit for electrical work where Tesla charging fire occurred - Torque News
Spoke with SoCal Edison before I did the install and they informed me that a permit was not needed.

Installing a 14-50 is no different than any standard wiring to an oven, an AC unit, a pool pump and such. It's very much normal every day work any electrician does. You can go to the city yourself, file the permit, pay a small fee and they send an inspector out to check it. No big deal. You can have the electrician run to the city hall and do it for you but he will charge you for his time.