Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recall 21V-035 eMMC - Can't Schedule Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MIBryan

Need the group's assistance for ideas as I'm beyond frustrated. Recently received a letter dated Nov 30 from Tesla stating that the VCM daughterboard with an enhanced eMMC is available. Work is being done under recall 21V-035. Letter goes on to say I need to schedule an appointment.

I've tried three different times using different options within the app to schedule an appointment. Each time, I get a message in the app saying the service center will contact me within 2 hours with an appointment. So far, all three times, I've received no contact and the service request magically disappears from the app.

Any suggestions on what to do besides filing a complaint with NHTSA and/or tweeting to Elon? I've had no issues in the past using the app to schedule an appointment but this time it is getting extremely frustrating.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpeg
    IMG_1168.jpeg
    689.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1169.jpeg
    IMG_1169.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 86
I scheduled my appointment through the app and also experienced some difficulties. I remember getting a confirmation on the first appointment and then it changed to a different location, Toledo SC from my home. The location moved it up a week. I would suggest to keep attempting to schedule the service through the app and include info that this is a Recall for the eMMC and the Recall number 21V-035. I think they are over whelmed with this recall.

Reactions: MIBryan
I scheduled my appointment through the app and also experienced some difficulties. I remember getting a confirmation on the first appointment and then it changed to a different location, Toledo SC from my home. The location moved it up a week. I would suggest to keep attempting to schedule the service through the app and include info that this is a Recall for the eMMC and the Recall number 21V-035. I think they are over whelmed with this recall.
Thanks....all three attempts have had the wording that I was scheduling for the recall 21V-035. Really a crappy system and communication. You would think in the recall letter that they would tell you which service option (Collision & Glass, Software, Upgrades, etc.) to use. So far, I've tried Software and Upgrades. Since Tesla is a software company, you'd think they could drop an option into the service that is specific for recalls. I'd think that would make the scheduler's lives easier.

Reactions: Wol747
So, I just finished resolving the recall with Tesla (fixed yesterday). Essentially, the first notice is to tell you that there's a voluntary recall. But, that parts aren't available yet. So, all the dealerships will turn you away. I got a further email on the topic a week ago, saying parts were in house and to book the appointment. Upon booking the appointment, the person still cancelled the appointment. I messaged them, and had to send the email saying the part was in house and to book. Then he allowed the booking. Seems that there's some way Tesla is going through their list of customers, and the service centres have no idea what's going on.

You would think in the recall letter that they would tell you which service option (Collision & Glass, Software, Upgrades, etc.) to use.
I believe you should find an option lists as "Infotainment". I would recommend using that option. I used it within the past 2 weeks to schedule an appointment to do the MCU2 upgrade and had zero issues. The only slight hick-up is the app initially tagged my appointment as eligible for mobile service, but within a couple days I had message from service stating it needed to be done at the service center, with confirmation of the time.

I wanted to return and provide an update. I believe the issue may have been with service center availability. Every time I would try to schedule, app would say someone would call me in two hours and then after some time (many times even more than two hours) the request would disappear. Finally, late Tuesday, I was able to book an appointment as per normal (selecting day and time). I just received confirmation in the app that they are preparing for the visit and have approved the $0.00 cost estimate. It only took about 10 days of frustration to get something scheduled.

I'm actually quite surprised to have gotten an appointment for 12/21.

I have the same problem. We want to take the car on a long trip. I'm afraid to do so and get stuck somewhere. One Tesla repair shop basically told me to get lost and come back when the car no longer is functional. I found another repair shop that was willing to order the part. Its been almost 3 months now. They are setting appointments at one month intervals. I hate to throw money at it, but could I still do infotainment upgrade? Would that fix the problem and what do I get? I basically use the car to drive, not as an X-box.

I have the same problem. We want to take the car on a long trip. I'm afraid to do so and get stuck somewhere. One Tesla repair shop basically told me to get lost and come back when the car no longer is functional. I found another repair shop that was willing to order the part. Its been almost 3 months now. They are setting appointments at one month intervals. I hate to throw money at it, but could I still do infotainment upgrade? Would that fix the problem and what do I get? I basically use the car to drive, not as an X-box.
Yes, you can do the MCU2 infotainment upgrade and this will resolve the issue. It is $1500 base plus tax, although for that you will lose AM/FM/XM radio. There is an additional $500 option ($2,000 total) which includes a new radio tuner that will restore FM as well as XM if you had the premium sound system that included XM capability.

Here is the link to Tesla's support page which includes summary of what you get.

It is not only the replacement to the MCU processor, but both the main center and instrument panel displays are replaced.

I had this performed for my mid-2016 MS90D about 3 weeks ago. It does require an in-person visit to the service center and typically takes around 3 hours, but that's highly dependent upon if they have any issues with downloading/installing all the required software driver updates. I've seen mixed comments about people losing settings, profiles, etc. In my case everything appeared to come across, including my driver profiles, exit profile, and save lifetime trip meters.

The only things which did not come through were:
  1. Homelink settings. While the three homelink items still appeared, I needed to reprogram the openers for it to work.
  2. My home wifi password
  3. Repair my phone to bluetooth

Need the group's assistance for ideas as I'm beyond frustrated. Recently received a letter dated Nov 30 from Tesla stating that the VCM daughterboard with an enhanced eMMC is available. Work is being done under recall 21V-035. Letter goes on to say I need to schedule an appointment.

I've tried three different times using different options within the app to schedule an appointment. Each time, I get a message in the app saying the service center will contact me within 2 hours with an appointment. So far, all three times, I've received no contact and the service request magically disappears from the app.

Any suggestions on what to do besides filing a complaint with NHTSA and/or tweeting to Elon? I've had no issues in the past using the app to schedule an appointment but this time it is getting extremely frustrating.
My car is currently at service for this very issue. I started trying to schedule this in late November. Actually had to schedule for other issues and have a mobile tech come out for an intermittent issue before I could get an appointment for the recall. Then my appointment was rescheduled 4 or 5 times before it wasn’t. I also had a call with a service rep before I could actually get the appointment for the recall.
I started by scheduling mobile service because the mirrors wouldn’t auto fold intermittently. Then I tried to get the mobile tech to help with slow startup times and delays with touch screen interface. He made notes and told me to book another appointment under something else. Then they called me. A remote tech cleared the cache and scheduled for the recall. Then the appointment was canceled/ rescheduled three times. Then finally it wasn’t.