Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recall Alert for Power12 CapturePro customers - please read

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is a recall alert on the Power12 CapturePro - Please read and understand this alert.

The Power12 CapturePro device you purchased has a flaw which could, in very limited circumstances, strand you at a charging station.
Power12 recommends ending its use and destroying it.

Summary
As of June 25 the only way to unlock a Tesla J1772 converter when connected to a charging station (Blink, ChargePoint) is to press the connector release button on the J1772 charging cord. Because the internal disconnect signal is generated by an electrical contact actuated by the same release push button that raises the locking hook, if a user selects a slot on the CapturePro that is too tight a fit, then once the converter is engaged and locked it might not allow the J1772 handle button to be pressed. This situation would mean that the car is locked physically to the charger (because the incorrectly-applied CapturePro device blocks release button motion), and the lock would have to be cut off mechanically to remove the lock+converter arrangement. This operational limitation was not intended, and is thought to be the result of a Tesla software/firmware change.

Customers who experience this situation can pry or cut off the CapturePro device with no damage to car or converter module.

Background
We believe there was a change to Tesla software controlling the locking pin inside the charge port - it previously had allowed charge port unlocking when one of these three things happened: pressing the J1772 connector release button, ending charging session at the charging station (Blink, Chargepoint, etc), or disabling charging at the dashboard control. We don't know when the unlock process changed, or why, but it is now no longer capable of providing the multiple unlock methods a user might need with the CapturePro - to be specific, if the user uses too tight a slot on the CapturePro, and blocks operation of the release push button, there is no other charge port unlocking alternative, and a locked converter+CapturePro might in some limited cases be unable to be unlocked.

Action
This problem was not intended, and the effect is not a liability that Power12 can endure - no matter how unlikely, the effect might strand customers at docking stations with little recourse. Unfortunately, since this problem can happen with uninformed customers, or simply by mistake, we have no other choice but to recall and cancel the product, and request that all sold product be destroyed.

Note that there is no critical issue if you don't use the CapturePro.

I am saddened to deliver this news. We had planned to release a number of other products, and attend TESLIVE -- we may still do so, but this latest misstep has left us deflated, and slowed our pace dramatically. Finally, if there are developments in either Tesla locking procedure or our design, I will alert you to that.

Big Huge thank you to all the early adopters - I will start the process to refund everyone's money over the next week.

David

Closedassemby-small.jpg

Not your fault-don't feel the need to refund my payment. You could not have anticipated this issue. FWIW I am on v.4.4 and the only way I can unlock with the CapturePro on tight (as designed) is to end charging at the ChargePoint station, then go to the touchscreen Controls and hit the charge port button (even though it shows the open port). This unlocks the adapter and I can remove the adapter, then pull off the CapturePro and disconnect the adapter. Indeed if I 'improperly' used too big a slot on the CapturePro to allow the button to be pushed on the charger handle, charging would stop and then you might in fact be able to disconnect the whole setup.

Don't despair. Thanks for your efforts. See you in a couple of weeks @ Teslive.

Wow. I don't even HAVE a CapturePro...but the integrity and forthright nature of this voluntary recall due to an unannounced change on Tesla's side makes me want to buy one just to support such an honest and above-board businessman!

Let me know when your next design iteration or next gadget is available...I'm now a fan.

Thanks for that nice comment, and all the others who have been supportive.

To be fair:
- Tesla wasn't aware the difference was significant and assumed that all chargers can de-assert 'proximity' from the charger, or simply unplug (high impedance on proximity - automatic disconnect)
- We are acting in our own interest in addition to our customers interest - it's a liability we don't care to have.

d

Reactions: glusc2002
Thanks for that nice comment, and all the others who have been supportive.

To be fair:
- Tesla wasn't aware the difference was significant and assumed that all chargers can de-assert 'proximity' from the charger, or simply unplug (high impedance on proximity - automatic disconnect)
- We are acting in our own interest in addition to our customers interest - it's a liability we don't care to have.

d
Would sure be nice if Tesla would immediately roll-out a software update that includes/restores the "Unlock Charger" as a separate button. Would resolve all concerns.