TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

recall for steering rack

Discussion in 'Model S' started by demundus, Mar 26, 2020.

1. demundus

demundus Active Member

Wow, they finally did it. Sorry if this is a repost, color me completely shocked...
    upload_2020-3-26_10-0-59.png

2. SilverGS

SilverGS Member

Finally! What is your production build date? Do you know what the bulletin # is for this steering recall?

3. demundus

demundus Active Member

My build date is 3/13 and I actually do not know the bulletin

• Informative x 1
  4. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

Have them check the turn signal module while they at it.

I assume the airbag has been done... If not, make sure they don't damage the dash trim around the MCU...

5. r1200gs4ok

r1200gs4ok Member

is that
    date in this year...2020

6. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Attached Files:

7. KalJoMoS

KalJoMoS Member

8. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

This is regarding to connection between the assist motor and rack in the under hood area, nothing should occur in the cabin or to the steering wheel due to this issue.

9. SilverGS

SilverGS Member

So it affects any Model S/D built before October 2016? My S is a June 2016 build.

10. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

My 2016 was done about a year ago in my garage.

11. demundus

demundus Active Member

No it’s 3/2013

12. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

There is a hidden warranty, recall, what ever you want to call it, for the turn signal module, on early model S. It is separate from the well known NTSB recall for aluminum bolts on the steering unit.

if you are going to get the car worked on, might as well get everything you can fixed that is important...

• Helpful x 1
  13. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

This bold corrosion for the steering rack housing has been going on for some time. At first it was only for those vehicle subject to road salt or ocean salt, which hastened the corrosion. They have been replacing them for years. Believe not it has advanced to a more overall recall, as time has causes some corrosion, even in non salted road conditions.

It is a pretty simple fix, as they replace the bolts subject to corrosion with non corroding bolts.

14. demundus

demundus Active Member

Yeah I remember following the thread. I'm just surprised they did a recall on it, and more surprised they reached out to me. I have been off Tesla's radar for maybe 4 years now

15. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Might even be something a remote Ranger can do.

16. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Then can, but there is risk. If a bolt brakes, they have to replace the entire rack which requires a lift. So in field replacements add the risk of needing a tow along with unknown total replacement time.

17. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

You can pull the Frunk tub yourself, and see if the bolts are broken. if not the ranger can do it, he did mine.

Also note if the frunk attach clips have fallen off and need replaceing. These special 3M adhesive mounting clips/Velcro like atachements need a clean surface and must be pressed into place for 60 seconds, something I do not think the factory did.