Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

recall for steering rack

demundus

Jul 5, 2015
Oceanside, CA
Wow, they finally did it. Sorry if this is a repost, color me completely shocked...
upload_2020-3-26_10-0-59.png

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Have them check the turn signal module while they at it.

I assume the airbag has been done... If not, make sure they don't damage the dash trim around the MCU...
This is regarding to connection between the assist motor and rack in the under hood area, nothing should occur in the cabin or to the steering wheel due to this issue.

aerodyne

Nose cone car - "Going to LR"
Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
This is regarding to connection between the assist motor and rack in the under hood area, nothing should occur in the cabin or to the steering wheel due to this issue.

There is a hidden warranty, recall, what ever you want to call it, for the turn signal module, on early model S. It is separate from the well known NTSB recall for aluminum bolts on the steering unit.

if you are going to get the car worked on, might as well get everything you can fixed that is important...

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
This bold corrosion for the steering rack housing has been going on for some time. At first it was only for those vehicle subject to road salt or ocean salt, which hastened the corrosion. They have been replacing them for years. Believe not it has advanced to a more overall recall, as time has causes some corrosion, even in non salted road conditions.

It is a pretty simple fix, as they replace the bolts subject to corrosion with non corroding bolts.

demundus

Jul 5, 2015
Oceanside, CA
Yeah I remember following the thread. I'm just surprised they did a recall on it, and more surprised they reached out to me. I have been off Tesla's radar for maybe 4 years now

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Might even be something a remote Ranger can do.
Then can, but there is risk. If a bolt brakes, they have to replace the entire rack which requires a lift. So in field replacements add the risk of needing a tow along with unknown total replacement time.

aerodyne

Nose cone car - "Going to LR"
Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
You can pull the Frunk tub yourself, and see if the bolts are broken. if not the ranger can do it, he did mine.

Also note if the frunk attach clips have fallen off and need replaceing. These special 3M adhesive mounting clips/Velcro like atachements need a clean surface and must be pressed into place for 60 seconds, something I do not think the factory did.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC