Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

recall for steering rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, they finally did it. Sorry if this is a repost, color me completely shocked...
upload_2020-3-26_10-0-59.png

This is regarding to connection between the assist motor and rack in the under hood area, nothing should occur in the cabin or to the steering wheel due to this issue.

There is a hidden warranty, recall, what ever you want to call it, for the turn signal module, on early model S. It is separate from the well known NTSB recall for aluminum bolts on the steering unit.

if you are going to get the car worked on, might as well get everything you can fixed that is important...

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
This bold corrosion for the steering rack housing has been going on for some time. At first it was only for those vehicle subject to road salt or ocean salt, which hastened the corrosion. They have been replacing them for years. Believe not it has advanced to a more overall recall, as time has causes some corrosion, even in non salted road conditions.

It is a pretty simple fix, as they replace the bolts subject to corrosion with non corroding bolts.

You can pull the Frunk tub yourself, and see if the bolts are broken. if not the ranger can do it, he did mine.

Also note if the frunk attach clips have fallen off and need replaceing. These special 3M adhesive mounting clips/Velcro like atachements need a clean surface and must be pressed into place for 60 seconds, something I do not think the factory did.