Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recall: Model 3 and Model Y Front Suspension Lateral Link Inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla
Tesla has decided to proactively recall certain Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to inspect the bolts that secure the lateral link in the front suspension. This recall applies to certain Model 3 vehicles built between January 2019 and April 2021 and certain Model Y vehicles built between March 2020 and June 2021. Our records indicate that your vehicle 5YJYGDEE1MF185029, may be affected by this recall.​
On certain vehicles, the lateral link bolts may not have been secured to the correct specifications. This could cause the fasteners to loosen over time, which could cause the lateral link to separate from the sub-frame. If the fasteners become loose, you may detect abnormal noise from the front suspension. We are not aware of any crashes or injuries relating to this condition.​
Please schedule a service appointment using the Tesla app by selecting ‘Schedule Service’ > ‘Other’ > ‘Something Else’ and entering the notes, “Open Recall Repair – Lateral Link inspection”. At your appointment, Tesla Service will inspect your vehicle and perform any necessary repairs, free of charge.​
Thank you for your support, and we apologize for the inconvenience.​

Reactions: BitJam
During this time Tesla would have built over 300,000 vehicles. How do they know which 2800 cars didn't get these bolts tightened correctly? I'm happy my car isn't listed in the recal, but I'm not sure how they are able to determine exactly which cars are affected.

During this time Tesla would have built over 300,000 vehicles. How do they know which 2800 cars didn't get these bolts tightened correctly? I'm happy my car isn't listed in the recal, but I'm not sure how they are able to determine exactly which cars are affected.

can we have service check these if no recall? Hopefully mobile

Maybe Tesla can trace the problem down to a mis-calibrated equipment or a particular assembly line work, and there is record for what VINs are built by the given equipment/worker?

Reactions: MikeR99
My car definitely has something loose in the front suspension that’s been getting worse over time, taking it in Friday, but it’s not showing as part of this recall.

Started as an audible ‘thunk’ that could also be felt in drivers side floorpan when turning up an incline. Now this happens when just turning, anytime, at low speeds.

Reactions: rick8560
My car definitely has something loose in the front suspension that’s been getting worse over time, taking it in Friday, but it’s not showing as part of this recall.

Started as an audible ‘thunk’ that could also be felt in drivers side floorpan when turning up an incline. Now this happens when just turning, anytime, at low speeds.
Take it in for at least an inspection - you don't want a suspension component to fail while driving.

I got the notification this morning. But oddly enough I picked up my car less than 2 weeks ago after a 3 week delay where they had to fix something with the suspension. I reached out if it is the same thing but they are saying this is different. If true it’s pretty ridiculous that they couldn’t do this while my car was there. I find it hard to believe that they didn’t know about this while they had my car.

On a related note has anyone who got the email checked their VIN on the Tesla recall site? Does this recall show up? I got the email but Mine is not there…yet.

I got the notification this morning. But oddly enough I picked up my car less than 2 weeks ago after a 3 week delay where they had to fix something with the suspension. I reached out if it is the same thing but they are saying this is different. If true it’s pretty ridiculous that they couldn’t do this while my car was there. I find it hard to believe that they didn’t know about this while they had my car.

On a related note has anyone who got the email checked their VIN on the Tesla recall site? Does this recall show up? I got the email but Mine is not there…yet.
So only if you receive an email from Tesla about the lateral link recall, should you bring it in for service?