Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recall Rear Seat replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A ranger came out to our place as well and took care of them.
I took a couple pics as well, since the others are not working:
IMG_3835.jpg
IMG_3836.jpg
IMG_3837.jpg

Ernie - please report on the quality, fit, and finish of the new this row seats. I still have the option of refusing them.

p.s.: Did you know that the cargo well lid has a flush (normal) and low position? I just found that out from Ohmman on another 3rd row thread. Makes for extra volume, but exposes the rather tacky-looking hardware (including colorful cable tag) at the bottom of the seats.

Reactions: ernies
Ernie - please report on the quality, fit, and finish of the new this row seats. I still have the option of refusing them.

p.s.: Did you know that the cargo well lid has a flush (normal) and low position? I just found that out from Ohmman on another 3rd row thread. Makes for extra volume, but exposes the rather tacky-looking hardware (including colorful cable tag) at the bottom of the seats.
The cargo cover has 2 positions. One that is flush and level. Other allows more volume but shows the seat back.

Reactions: ernies
The cargo cover has 2 positions. One that is flush and level. Other allows more volume but shows the seat back.
@Ross......I will be looking at it more closely tomorrow as there are some issues with the new seats. I will be meeting with a Tesla supplier of fasteners here who has a facility down the street. There is a serious "fastener" problem with the rivets on the backs of the third row seats. In my opinion, there are just two types of back rivets: (1) those which have failed and (2) those which will. The local SC has a temp fix that is getting me by, but when checking the vehicle yesterday after the recall I found a rivet had failed already. They put in a new rivet, vacuumed the back and again it failed. I suggested a more beefy and broader headed rivet and it is holding for now. More on this later. I did not check further as I have to take it back again anyhow for that and a new spoiler noise when changing from high speed to stop. So, I will go over it again and make up a list. Also have noticed a new noise when opening the driver side FWD, but it is not consistent. I think the rear portion of the wing is just a tad close to the molding on the roof.

Hearing @ernies woes with the new seat back, which seem to have been "remanufactured" and assembled with plastic rivets, can anyone give me a good reason to replace mine? I'll probably never use them, and my experience with Tesla service so far is that they fix one thing and break something else.

Hearing @ernies woes with the new seat back, which seem to have been "remanufactured" and assembled with plastic rivets, can anyone give me a good reason to replace mine? I'll probably never use them, and my experience with Tesla service so far is that they fix one thing and break something else.

@RossRAllen...the initial and replacement rivets were metal but not strong and almost all will fail in my opinion. The third try was a local Tesla solution with a broader head to hold better (temporarily). Whether or not the shaft is strong enough remains to be seen. I will post a picture of the third row passenger seat. The rivet on the right is the local Tesla fix. The rivet on the left is the one that WILL fail for sure. Notice the piece of material with backing just hanging there. It looks like thin carpeting with only a primary backing and not a primary and secondary. In my opinion, the choice of material and construction lack quality. Gosh I hate to say that any part of that car lacks quality.

The local SC Assistant Service Manager was quick to say that the car did not leave their facility with the scraping sound on spoiler deployment. Very defensive approach as in do way did I disparage or denigrate the service experience...I just want it fixed.

Attachments

• Third Row Seats.jpg
    Third Row Seats.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 47
My car was affected by recall and it went for replaced last week. I didn't Ray to fold them down until recently and one seat would not fold down. Once it was pushed down, it took 2 people to push it back up right again. The motor would make noise and release the latch, but the seat would not budge The other one functioned just fine. Not sure why this was missed before the car was handed back to me, but it was. Just check yours first before you leave the SC. Lesson learned.

My car was affected by recall and it went for replaced last week. I didn't Ray to fold them down until recently and one seat would not fold down. Once it was pushed down, it took 2 people to push it back up right again. The motor would make noise and release the latch, but the seat would not budge The other one functioned just fine. Not sure why this was missed before the car was handed back to me, but it was. Just check yours first before you leave the SC. Lesson learned.

We had the exact same issue with our recall seats.

The good news is that it seemed to resolve itself. For whatever reason, after the recall was performed, if you don't fold the seats up and down a few times (pretty soon thereafter), the seat got stuck. After a few uncomfortably forceful maneuvers, we got it back to working normally. When we finally get the car back to the SC (for some other follow-up work), they couldn't even replicate the problem with the seats.