Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recall vs MCU1 upgrade or LTE upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SneepeZ Given current inflation, it's hard to imagine MCU2 upgrade ever getting cheaper in nominal terms. Then again, thanks to inflation it's arguably the cheapest right now that it's ever been, and will keep getting cheaper in real cost unless/until they raise the nominal price!

@wchang3t Thanks for the note about the backup camera! That was actually a major concern of mine. We heavily rely on the backup camera in our S, as parking sensors weren't even an option when it was built. MCU2 3/Y backup camera is straight up worse than our MCU1 2013 S backup cam. The 3 camera is laggy, drops frames, and the colors are worse. I wasn't sure how much of the issue is MCU2 itself, but now I know MCU2 really is the issue, as apparently MCU3 3/Y have much better backup camera feeds (with no change to camera module AFAIK).

Getting the entertainment features in our chargegated S would've been nice though. Our 2021 3 has MCU2 with its the entertainment features but it supercharges so quick there's little time to use them! 😂

I thought the MCU2 dim camera at night was already resolved by software updates, no?

I thought the MCU2 dim camera at night was already resolved by software updates, no?
@Droschke I haven't noticed my MCU2 Model 3 backup cam seeming too dim. The issues are as I stated above - it's laggy/delayed and drops frames. However @wchang3t's note about it looking dim after MCU2 upgrade in their S tells me Tesla still hasn't properly optimized MCU2 video processing. And probably never will at this point with MCU3 out now, which by all accounts has much better camera processing.

Also colors seem less accurate on my MCU2 Model 3 than on my MCU1 S, but that's a minor quibble, it doesn't affect usage. Delayed video with dropped frames is the real issue.

Reactions: Droschke
One thing to keep in mind for those thinking about staying with MCU1 is that the instrument cluster is a separate unit, so it’s totally possible that instrument cluster could fail after you invest in keeping MCU1. Better to switch to MCU2.

My 2017 MCU1 was replaced before 50,000 miles under warranty. Then the eMMC recall was done close to 100,000 miles. But my 2017 instrument cluster reboots several times a day and I expect it to die before 150,000 miles. If I had an older car, I wouldn’t even consider investing in MCU1 for fear of the instrument cluster dying alone.

I believe yes and no: after doing our upgrade, I also noticed that. Later, some TMC members started saying it was solved for them. Still not on our S (same fw version). This changed a few months back. It’s all good now like MCU1. My conclusion is that there are more factors playing in fixing the issue depending on the car, so it’s being progressively fixed.
Also colors seem less Delayed video with dropped frames is the real issue.
That is indeed the same issue I also see. It did improve, as initially it was even freezing, making it a real danger if you only looked at the camera.
It’s now better but like you wrote: feels like frames are dropped.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Droschke
@Droschke I don't think I've ever been in a Model S/X with MCU2, either as retrofit or original. Newest loaners I've had were P100D era and seemed to still be on MCU1. I've only experienced MCU2 in 3/Y so far.

I think the backup camera in our 2021 3P with MCU2 might be a little dimmer at night than our MCU1 S, possibly because of the more muted and inaccurate colors, but it's not severe enough that I ever thought it was too dim.

One other issue with our 3's backup camera...it seems to get covered in raindrops easier than our S. That's not the fault of the MCU of course!

• Helpful
Thanks guys. My interest in asking is because I'm scheduled for the MCU2 upgrade. I have no spontaneous reboots or yellowing on my MCU1, just too sluggish with navigation, no functioning browser, interruptive media streaming and very long reboots (I reboot before every drive to make sure there is no surprise during the drive). I never opted for the eMMC recall and the LTE upgrade (have no Internet connectivity since February even though the navigation and routings are still functional). So, finally decided to go with the MCU2 upgrade. I always drive with the rear camera up on the screen for visibility. Hence the concern about the dim camera being discussed :(

just too sluggish with navigation, no functioning browser, interruptive media streaming and very long reboots (I reboot before every drive to make sure there is no surprise during the drive).
that will all dramatically improve.
I never reboot and it does not reboot on its own either.
I always drive with the rear camera up on the screen for visibility. Hence the concern about the dim camera being discussed :(
In daytime it will be better. At night cannot tell you.
In my case, the image at night with MCU1 felt like some sort of night vision, slightly greenish. Always impressed me and very useful as I always park backing up in our driveway.
It got very darker after the MCU2 upgrade. So much so that I stopped using the camera when backing up and just used the mirrors.
Time passed, and this winter, I’d say begin of the year, it went back to that same MCU1 quality. As I had stopped hoping for it, can’t tell exactly which update fixed it. I now can use the camera again. Great to spot our old cat that tends to be in the way 😅

that will all dramatically improve.
I never reboot and it does not reboot on its own either.

In daytime it will be better. At night cannot tell you.
In my case, the image at night with MCU1 felt like some sort of night vision, slightly greenish. Always impressed me and very useful as I always park backing up in our driveway.
It got very darker after the MCU2 upgrade. So much so that I stopped using the camera when backing up and just used the mirrors.
Time passed, and this winter, I’d say begin of the year, it went back to that same MCU1 quality. As I had stopped hoping for it, can’t tell exactly which update fixed it. I now can use the camera again. Great to spot our old cat that tends to be in the way 😅

Thanks. What's the size of eMMC on the upgraded MCU2?