Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recall vs MCU1 upgrade or LTE upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jaguar36

Apr 10, 2014
NJ
Between the recall, the 3G shut down, and the MCU upgrade I'm trying to figure out what to do with our pre-AP 2014 and what it will cost. It seems like the best idea is to just cough up the $2k and get the MCU2 upgrade. I assume this also will remove the need for the recall? Or is the daughterboard with the eMMC separate? Is anyone doing just the $500 LTE upgrade? I don't really have any interest in any of the new stuff in MCU2, but V10 wrecked the performance of MCU1 so badly. I'd love to go back to the V6 days.
It also appears like the $2k is really $2500 with the FM radio add.

Has anyone had mobile service do this? Looks like the app will let me schedule that, but I'm suprised they don't want us to bring the car in for it.

The upgrade to the MCU2 will eliminate the need for the recall. MCU2 is a total replacement, including any need for separate eMMC.

I just had this done yesterday for my mid-2016, AP1 vintage MS90D. Cost was $1500 for the base MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. I did decide to also do the additional radio tuner so I preserve FM (drive in some areas where no AT&T cellular) which is an additional $500, for a total of $2000 plus local sales tax.

Unclear if for some reason your older, pre AP1 is more expensive, but for me it was only total of $2000 including the tuner.

Also, to you question of mobile, my original appointment went in for mobile service but Tesla contacted me and to make it an in-person visit. A significant portion of the time is reloading various firmware and which is the reason that I believe they want it in the shop so they are on Tesla service wifi to be pulling files down from the cloud.

Between the recall, the 3G shut down, and the MCU upgrade I'm trying to figure out what to do with our pre-AP 2014 and what it will cost. It seems like the best idea is to just cough up the $2k and get the MCU2 upgrade. I assume this also will remove the need for the recall? Or is the daughterboard with the eMMC separate? Is anyone doing just the $500 LTE upgrade? I don't really have any interest in any of the new stuff in MCU2, but V10 wrecked the performance of MCU1 so badly. I'd love to go back to the V6 days.
It also appears like the $2k is really $2500 with the FM radio add.

Has anyone had mobile service do this? Looks like the app will let me schedule that, but I'm suprised they don't want us to bring the car in for it.
My opinion (and consistent with the steps I've personally taken with our AP1 85D):

1) If you do NOT plan to keep the car outside of the 8-yr battery warranty, I'd do the eMMC upgrade.

2) If you DO plan to keep the car past the 8-yr battery warranty mark, and you have NOT replaced your center screen or instrument cluster for bubbles/leaking glue, I'd do the MCU2+LTE(+FM) upgrade.

3) If you DO plan to keep the car past the 8-yr battery warranty mark, and you HAVE replaced your center screen or instrument cluster to the updated "won't leak, will just yellow" displays:

3a) If you DON'T plan to use any new MCU2 functionality AND you don't use voice recognition for nav/txting frequently, I'd do the eMMC upgrade only.

3b) If you DO plan to use any new MCU2 functionality OR you DO use voice recognition for nav/txting frequently, I'd do the MCU2+LTE(+FM) upgrade.

2) If you DO plan to keep the car past the 8-yr battery warranty mark, and you have NOT replaced your center screen or instrument cluster for bubbles/leaking glue, I'd do the MCU2+LTE(+FM) upgrade.
That brings up another question, the instrument cluster is leaking, it doesn't really bother me, but does that get changed with the MCU2 upgrade? If not does anyone know the price for that?

The LTE upgrade is basically a requirement I can't see having a Tesla without cell service.

That brings up another question, the instrument cluster is leaking, it doesn't really bother me, but does that get changed with the MCU2 upgrade? If not does anyone know the price for that?

The LTE upgrade is basically a requirement I can't see having a Tesla without cell service.
Yes, the MCU2 upgrade includes replacement of both the main display and the instrument cluster. For MCU1, the instrument cluster has it's own processor. For MCU2, the instrument cluster is driven off the main MCU2 processor.

I got new enfotainment upgrade for $1600. I didn't need the $200 LTE antenna. Did not want to pay $500 for am\fm radio. It is unbelievable better than my 2012 system. Two new screens and MCU. The software is totally different. I have to get a beer and go sit in car and figure it out. I picked it up yesterday, and software update last night which added alot more to system. I'm very happy, hope it cures all my old problems?

I got new enfotainment upgrade for $1600. I didn't need the $200 LTE antenna. Did not want to pay $500 for am\fm radio. It is unbelievable better than my 2012 system. Two new screens and MCU. The software is totally different. I have to get a beer and go sit in car and figure it out. I picked it up yesterday, and software update last night which added alot more to system. I'm very happy, hope it cures all my old problems?
$1600 USD? In Canada it's $2000, and you get LTE included but FM is $500 more.

Why wouldnt you want software updates?
In my experience, software updates of the last 4 years have only downgraded the car, not improved it. For example, slower supercharging, inferior map and traffic display, pumps running constantly when charged to over 78%., degraded regen at temps below 60F. Not an issue in my car, but in later cars - they removed the low regen setting, which is safer on icy roads. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

I have a non Teck pkg 2014 model S, no nav or trip planning, still 3g. Tech says I'll gain both and LTE by doing the mcu2 upgrade for 2k cdn. I plan to keep the car another 4 years minimum. No brainer to do it? Any chance it gets cheaper?
We were told the opposite for our 2013 S, that upgrading to MCU2 would NOT give us nav.

If you do the upgrade let us know what features you actually end up with!

I got Nav update last night. Everything is there like a 2018 MCU 2. Way points, etc. It's cool. I watched a video just now to see how all that stuff works. Sure a great deal for $1600. Both my screens were leaking bad, and software was junk.

Barry. I totally agree, every update just ruined my car starting with 9. I hated it. I complained everyday to SC and Help desk. I hope this new software brings my antique into modern up to date car?

Reactions: tm1v2
mine came with 4G when i bought it from tesla CPO and when i did the eMMC repair it didn't take because my motherboard had issues that was causing it to crap out so i just did the MCU2 upgrade and it was well worth it for an actual responsive screen.

Tm1v2. No to LTE free . Look at your LTE, if 4 then u don't need the $200 update. I didn't need it. I have a new screen that tells every detail about car, CPU is Intel Atom, LTE is 4. Motor is Large. I talked to Draper Help Desk yesterday because mine would not connect WiFi? Found out when u select WiFi you have to touch the network name for password screen to appear.
He told me I have the latest, greatest updates possible for MCU 2. Some features will not work, but he said it's jammed with the entire software updates.
I have new motor, gearbox, remanufactured pack. Pray car goes another 100k😁

Reactions: Russell