Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Receding door handles in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

benraemon

Jun 12, 2011
I don't know if this has been covered before but does Tesla have some way for preventing the door handles from freezing shut in the wintertime? Is there some sort of heater? I would be really annoyed if I came back to my car after it snowed to find that the handles frozen over and unable to get in!

I don't know if this has been covered before but does Tesla have some way for preventing the door handles from freezing shut in the wintertime? Is there some sort of heater? I would be really annoyed if I came back to my car after it snowed to find that the handles frozen over and unable to get in!
This has crossed my mind too. I live in the Ozarks and we often get severe freezing rain/sleet and then snow on top of that. While I can usually park in my garage at home or the covered area of the parking garage at work, occasionally I do have to leave the vehicle outside and it ends up covered in ICE--often bad enough that even opening the door is a challenge. I wonder if we'll have to develop some sort of cover for the door handles to prevent them from freezing over.

Geesh, this again? Yes, this has been covered before but I'm too lazy to copy the links. You can pre-heat the inside of the car with your remote control and Elon has said that the door handles will have a small amount of heat going to them to prevent freeze over. Even if they aren't heated, your key fob will unlock the door and all you have to do is press in on the handle, which should free it from the ice.

Geesh, this again? Yes, this has been covered before but I'm too lazy to copy the links. You can pre-heat the inside of the car with your remote control and Elon has said that the door handles will have a small amount of heat going to them to prevent freeze over. Even if they aren't heated, your key fob will unlock the door and all you have to do is press in on the handle, which should free it from the ice.
Good to know.