Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Email to Configure M3 but now Dual Motor Avail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says......After a year+ of waiting (April 1 order, current MS owners), we finally received our email to configure our Model 3 two days ago - yay! You'd think that we'd have what we want nailed down by now - but no! While fretting over our order decisions it was announced that the AWD option is now available, which is what we really-really want ,but were willing to forego in order to garner the tax credit. SO......now we might have the option to get both. However......dual motor option is still grayed out on our config link. Any ideas as to when it will trickle down and be available on config?? Help! :)

The theory is that P and AWD is avail to employees only and then 3/31 owners, etc. Until we get more people seeing the configurator it’s hard to tell who can see it now. I got my original invite in January and can’t for example. So, you may have to wait a bit, unfortunately.

Just because you're ungated for first production config doesn't mean you are ungated for dual motor. All the deferrals from employees, owners, and non-owners who were in line in front of you will get ungated for dual motor first.

The decision to wait until the next latest offering becomes available, but not so long that you miss out on the tax credit is a tough one.

While many people want BOTH, it probably is a good idea to ask which you want MORE.

If you would be willing to give up the tax credit to get the interior/performance/AWD, then wait until you can order and take delivery whenever it becomes available.

If the tax credit is more important, then place your order in plenty of time to get the best chance of getting your delivery before it runs out.

If you want to increase your net worth, then don't buy any car...buy the stock.

The frugal people will say wait for the base battery.
The enthusiasts will say wait for the performance model.
The people with lots of snow say wait for the AWD.
The travelers will say order now. Their perfect car is the one being currently produced.
The tax consious will say order now, or loose a great opportunity for a bargain.
The next big thing/refresh people will wait forever.

But the greatest thing, is when you actually take delivery and see your lives changed with the Tesla experience that we all share. I can be life altering.

Thanks for the information all!

EerieP - Yes, we're in WA State. Yes, received invite at the end of this past week. Not questioning the good karma there :)

Uncle Paul - Yeah, the ordering quandary is a crazy maze to be sure! Where we live we get ice and occasional snow, so prefer the AWD for the security there. However, we *could* get by without it. Decisions-decisions. Being a MS owner already, we certainly are aware of the additional life changes coming our way with another EV - yay! However, sold both of our vehicles when we purchased our MS and have been juggling with one vehicle for the household for over a year now. In hindsight, poor planning on our end, but optimism abounds!

Bottom line - we'll see what this week brings. We'll have a household decision made by the end of the week.......I hope!

Posted this on another thread, but this seams the better place:

So, I reserved online the first day in 2016, non-owner in NC, got the email to configure 4/18, and did. No VIN yet. Now, the dual motor is available. I called Tesla yesterday to inquire about changing my configuration to dual motor, and they said I could, would keep my original RN and line position to configure, but that I should expect 9 months to delivery, and oops, may not get the tax credit.

Now I am seeing first day reservers, even non-owners, getting to configure with dual motor, and the Tesla website quotes 6-9 months to delivery for NEW RESERVATIONS.

So, was the Tesla guy just blowing smoke, giving me a standard line designed to try to keep me with my current config, or just uninformed? Or, would I go to the back of the line?

I really want to Dual, but would probably skip it if I'd lose the tax credit.

Any and all speculation is welcome here.

Posted this on another thread, but this seams the better place:

Now I am seeing first day reservers, even non-owners, getting to configure with dual motor, and the Tesla website quotes 6-9 months to delivery for NEW RESERVATIONS.

Any and all speculation is welcome here.

I'm an owner, reserved Nov 2016 and I still can't configure dual motor.... this runaround and wasting of my time because there is no clear timeline or path, other than "end of next week" then "tonight" then frigging nothing. Which leaves me checking every few hours refreshing the website. meanwhile others appear to be getting the option to configure. If Elon wants to talk about having the best "customer experience" he needs to work on his communication skills. Can you imagine if Apple operated this way with a new model of iPhone? "Orders will open tonight".... then instead of letting people order Tim Cook just tweets "will be the best phone ever, we really binned the chips nicely on the flagship iPhone X" then disappears for 24 hours and tweets about future service options... meanwhile customers who thought they could order have no idea what is going on. It is infuriating.

Reactions: sefs
I know heads are going to spin into orbit with this but.....feel it has to be said...... "Chill out, dude!"

Let's do a reality check here.....
1) At the end of the day, it's "just" a car, and...
2) You voluntarily plunked down $$ to essentially MAILORDER a $50k+ vehicle without ever having driven it! Where else would you ever do that?? Certainly not any of the big 3 automakers.
3) You're in a line with several HUNDRED THOUSAND other people who all also feel entitled to being at the front of the line and receiving personalized concierge service.

At the end of the day......be glad that THOSE are your gripes as it certainly could be much worse.

Keep calm and ........:)

I know heads are going to spin into orbit with this but.....feel it has to be said...... "Chill out, dude!"

Let's do a reality check here.....
1) At the end of the day, it's "just" a car, and...
2) You voluntarily plunked down $$ to essentially MAILORDER a $50k+ vehicle without ever having driven it! Where else would you ever do that?? Certainly not any of the big 3 automakers.
3) You're in a line with several HUNDRED THOUSAND other people who all also feel entitled to being at the front of the line and receiving personalized concierge service.

At the end of the day......be glad that THOSE are your gripes as it certainly could be much worse.

Keep calm and ........:)

In response,
1) I realize its just a car, I'm not complaining about the car, I'm complaining about the way Tesla is handling their customer interactions, I do the same thing with restaurants, retail stores; etc... Feedback is how people can improve.
2) This is false, I have driven the car... twice. Again, irrelevant to my complaints with Tesla customer interaction.
3) Just because I'm in line with several hundred thousand people, doesn't change my criticism of the way that the AWD rollout is being handled. Per my example, iPhone rollouts are done with several MILLION other people and they don't screw the pooch like Tesla is right now.
Despite my complaints, I'm not saying I'm not still super excited about the car and think it will be amazing. I just hate being given a direct timeline for ordering TWICE and then the configurator still being the same as before the whole thing started. I've got BLUE BALLS my friend! All I want to do is give them 2500 more dollars, and get myself locked in. I don't even care if delivery takes till September. I don't think that is a whole lot to ask, especially when they are the ones who told me I could do it last week.

Also... I'm only half serious and mostly joking.

Got it! Having gone through CPO drama with our MS, I totally feel your pain and frustration. Our household consensus/theory is that Tesla had an awesome product that they brought to market without solid systems in place necessary to efficiently distribute. A company of engineers with very minimal strong sales processes in place. Much of the time the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing (or who to even ask). They seem to be playing extreme "catchup" in this area. This topic has been analyzed ad nauseam on this site :)

Like you.....we just want to see that 3 parked in our garage next to it's big cousin......waiting-waiting-waiting-waiting-waiting......

So we have to keep signing in and checking to see if they flip the switch??? Then why show the option at all? or, are we supposed to click the button that says I want to wait for the dual motor option??? Which I didn't click, because I didn't know when or how much. Now I know how much and want to buy, even though I don't understand why the dual motor does not get any extra range??? What's up with that? Since they are not claiming the size of the 3s' battery, our they just taking out x amount to save some money?

Grumble, grumble.

So, I reserved online the first day in 2016, non-owner in NC, got the email to configure 4/18, and did. No VIN yet. Now, the dual motor is available. I called Tesla yesterday to inquire about changing my configuration to dual motor, and they said I could, would keep my original RN and line position to configure, but that I should expect 9 months to delivery, and oops, may not get the tax credit.

So, was the Tesla guy just blowing smoke, giving me a standard line designed to try to keep me with my current config, or just uninformed? Or, would I go to the back of the line?

I really want to Dual, but would probably skip it if I'd lose the tax credit.
Even if Tesla hits 200,000 cars sold in the US today, the tax credit will exist well into 2019. You might not get the entire $7500 but the tax credit doesn't just disappear. It gradually goes away, being reduced from $7500 to $3750 to $1875 before it finally ends.

Even if Tesla hits 200,000 cars sold in the US today, the tax credit will exist well into 2019. You might not get the entire $7500 but the tax credit doesn't just disappear. It gradually goes away, being reduced from $7500 to $3750 to $1875 before it finally ends.
Hoping they hit 200k any day after July 1 so we have a chance of getting the full credit with delivery of the dual motor before the end of 2018, based on the 4 month current order/delivery estimate.

I think just like the first time we were invited to configure for the RWD, we will get an email to configure for the AWD, when available. The problem is, since we were already offered the single motor, we have access to the configurator. Whereas someone who has not been offered the single motor due to clicking the "planning to wait for the dual motor", or their RN not coming up yet, doesn't have access to the configurator yet. So we get to sit and see the grayed our dual motor option because we have access to the configurator, but our number isn't up yet to actually order the dual. They are going back to the front of the line to start with those whos numbers came up before ours, and who deferred.