Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received HW3 MX today. What I found compared to my 2016 MS (delivery)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is a similar post, but it seems more about what version of firmware and HW included.
So I'm writing this for the people who own Model S and considering to get Model X as an addition.

---------

I received my new long-range Model X today without FSD.
I have 2016 Model S (facelifted model) with AP1 and this is what I found.

- It comes with 100D badge. I was curious about it since there's no naming when I ordered.

- The backup camera provides a sharper image and deeper color (maybe because of the Seattle weather today) than my already great Model S camera. Not sure it's the benefit of HW3 camera or maybe it's been like this from AP2 or AP2.5.

- The build quality was TERRIBLE! Pretty much all the rubber moldings and sealings were off or the wrong size, not fully attached. Black glue was everywhere inside and outside. White (my exterior color) paint was on the black side panel and so on. I made a super long list of post-delivery fix list with an employee.
My Model S was one of the first delivery after Tesla announced the facelift. The build quality was pretty disappointing but not as bad as this. Really disappointed.

- The repair appointment date has not been scheduled because my new car is not on their system yet. I'm waiting for their call, but no so far today.

- No fancy red ribbon, certificate, umbrella, Tesla logo mug or cheering-up photoshoot during the delivery process. I believed Tesla sells not only the car but also the experience. Feels much less satisfied and cared compared to 3 years ago.

- Even no more keyfob cover/ring, cellphone charging cable included. Of course, they were included before. How much would you like to save from the omission, Tesla?

- I originally ordered MX without FSD. I was told I can order it before delivery with $5,000 since it's just a simple software unlock. I considered to add it, but I didn't. So, if you already ordered your car without FSD, you can add it before the delivery without paying $7,000. You can pay just $5,000.

- No FSD but the simple Auto Pilot only option doesn't include the Advanced Summon. So, I expect to get no summon feature at all. But, Auto Pilot option includes Summon! It's just not an Advanced Summon, but the original Summon is included.

- My new Model X is much quieter than my 2016 Model S. Not sure this is the difference between two models or Tesla has improved the noise reduction, but it's much nicer than mine. (Unfortunately this Model X is for my wife. Dang)

I drove less than 50 miles today and even AP is not activated yet (Still calibrating). So it's pretty much the very first day experience.

-= minist =-

Thebbetter image from the camera will be mcu2 the difference between the two is like night and day so suspect that’s it.

It’s crap that you had a bad experience but if I’m honest free tat on delivery whilst nice is on the p&l somewhere so I’d rather not indirectly paying for something I would t buy myself

Reactions: spectrum
- No fancy red ribbon, certificate, umbrella, Tesla logo mug or cheering-up photoshoot during the delivery process. I believed Tesla sells not only the car but also the experience. Feels much less satisfied and cared compared to 3 years ago.
I think it is somewhat telling if you expected a reb ribbon and a certificate at this stage of their life. That is a new model and early delivery thing. Especially for those loyally waiting for months sometimes. Model 3 deliveries have gotten some of that initially. I was treated well on my 2nd X and was very satisfied (1st X was a Sig and a deer took it out). It was not like my Sig X tho. I'm fine with that. They need to 'deliver' as many cars as possible as quickly as possible.

I am sorry that your quality was not better. I hope they take care of you for that.

I actually think my AP1 2017 has a better rear view camera than my AP2 2019. I never had any water drops on my AP1 car either, but this one seems to get dirty a lot.

The door latch seems to require a lot more strength and force to close. I am not sure if that is adjustable, couple times I had to go back and slam the door shut and the latch reminds me of the early AP1 cars with the loud clunk.

They redesign some of the plastic underneath the frunk and the rear trunk area.

Good question. I don't know exactly how to confirm what HW version I have, but Tesla told me it has HW3 inside.
I trust what they told. :)
Look for APH4

APH2 Autopilot Hardware, 2.0
APH3 Autopilot Hardware, 2.5, Model 3
APH4 Autopilot Hardware, 3.0

TYKPTk7.jpg

I think you can enter that URL here too to get the breakdown.
https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

You should have not accepted delivery if your situation allowed it. I have had nothing but issues ever since I took delivery (should have declined). In the 7 months of ownership, my X 75D spent 3.5 months at the SC!!

I am now dealing with range issues (getting just 105 - 125 miles on a 90% charge down to 10%), so the saga continues...

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
You should have not accepted delivery if your situation allowed it. I have had nothing but issues ever since I took delivery (should have declined). In the 7 months of ownership, my X 75D spent 3.5 months at the SC!!

I am now dealing with range issues (getting just 105 - 125 miles on a 90% charge down to 10%), so the saga continues...

Isn't going to help your situation or the OPs, but I had a lot of issues with both my 100D MX and my P100DL MS in the first few months. They were both going to be Lemoned and I had a buyback offer in hand on the X and one being prepared for the S. After first few months of issues though everything has been fine, and I decided to keep both cars. We have not had a major issue since, so maybe once you work through the initial pain you will get lucky like we did. Going through similar issues with our Model 3P as well; delivered with paint issues that were all corrected, have had 12V battery replaced 3 times due to failure, tail lights replaced due to fogging and mobile service will be here this week to replace a non-functioning USB port. Have had long list of Tesla issues, but still really like the cars in the end.

May want to try the reset / balancing procedure to see if that recovers projected range; drive down to below 20% (I aim for 10%) and then charge to 100% and leave on charger for a few hours at 100%. Do not use a Supercharger for this, home charger only.

• Informative
Reactions: bayx
I tried ev-cpo, but it seems only working before delivery. (doesn't work)

EV-CPO Option Lookup Tool is not a VIN decoder. The database only contains New,Inventory or Used (and previous CPO) cars that have been listed for sale on Tesla's own New/Used listings website. Unfortunately, it can not show you the options for every other VIN or car out there, if you bought it direct from Tesla (custom build) or from a private or other third party dealer.

If the VIN is in the database of over 50,000 cars worldwide, it will display the options for that VIN.

But if you can acquire the "Options List" using the "View Spec" image in your Tesla Account, you can paste in any list of option codes to see those codes described. No VIN required.

Tesla asked if I want to decline the car.
I returned my previous leased car a week ago, and I cannot wait forever until they re-deliver.
They said the difference is,

1. If I decline, they will fix the car and deliver it later. No timeline guaranteed.
2. If I accept, they will schedule and fix it later. I'll get a loaner if the case.

I had a similar issue with my Model S 3 years ago, and they took care of it. Even though it took pretty long to fix the issues.
This time, most of the issues are cosmetic issues, so I accepted the car.

EV-CPO Option Lookup Tool is not a VIN decoder. The database only contains New,Inventory or Used (and previous CPO) cars that have been listed for sale on Tesla's own New/Used listings website. Unfortunately, it can not show you the options for every other VIN or car out there, if you bought it direct from Tesla (custom build) or from a private or other third party dealer.

If the VIN is in the database of over 50,000 cars worldwide, it will display the options for that VIN.

But if you can acquire the "Options List" using the "View Spec" image in your Tesla Account, you can paste in any list of option codes to see those codes described. No VIN required.

Yes, I tried. My Tesla Account image has option codes, but no HW version or AP version code in there. :(