Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received messages sometimes shows the wrong contact and associated message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There doesn't seem to be a common denomiator, other than they are all Android phones. I was using Pulse SMS, some people are using Google Messages, others using RCS. It's also happening across Tesla models; it's not just the newer MYs or M3s, older MSs and MXs are having the same problem.

So a new Data Point.... My car is in for service and I have a 2017 S P100D with MCU1 as my loaner. So far I have NOT had the bad text message problem. I have received probably a half dozen messages so far in the loaner and both the person and the message was correct. Could this be an MCU2 thing?

Anyone here having the issue have a car with MCU1?

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
After 2 years, I've got an update - progress but not great news.

I opened a new service request this week looking to see if there were any changes. Here was their reply:

TeslaMessages.png

"I've looked at your vehicle's logs and found that the old messages are appearing because of a characteristic of the firmware currently installed in the vehicle. The root issue is under investigation and when a resolution is found, it will be included in a future firmware update. Please note that this may not necessarily be the next firmware update your vehicle receives. No repair is necessary at this time and there is no need for a service appointment."

So they're at least admitting it's an issue on their side. My reply was something along the lines of "this is basically what I was told 2 years ago" and I received a call from the tech to discuss further.

Essentially the developers know that this is an issue but it's not considered a priority because so few people are actually reporting it to Tesla. I asked if others opened service requests would that help and he believed it would. Each entry that is made for this issue is documented and submitted to the development team. The more we submit, the higher the priority will be.

So, I encourage anyone with this issue to please create a service request, provide the app version, phone hardware, phone OS version and the timestamp of an example of when the issue occurs.

I hope this will encourage them to increase the priority to address the issue.

• Informative
After 2 years, I've got an update - progress but not great news.

I opened a new service request this week looking to see if there were any changes. Here was their reply:

View attachment 800778

"I've looked at your vehicle's logs and found that the old messages are appearing because of a characteristic of the firmware currently installed in the vehicle. The root issue is under investigation and when a resolution is found, it will be included in a future firmware update. Please note that this may not necessarily be the next firmware update your vehicle receives. No repair is necessary at this time and there is no need for a service appointment."

So they're at least admitting it's an issue on their side. My reply was something along the lines of "this is basically what I was told 2 years ago" and I received a call from the tech to discuss further.

Essentially the developers know that this is an issue but it's not considered a priority because so few people are actually reporting it to Tesla. I asked if others opened service requests would that help and he believed it would. Each entry that is made for this issue is documented and submitted to the development team. The more we submit, the higher the priority will be.

So, I encourage anyone with this issue to please create a service request, provide the app version, phone hardware, phone OS version and the timestamp of an example of when the issue occurs.

I hope this will encourage them to increase the priority to address the issue.
Thanks for he info! But as someone stated earlier, there is no feedback button in the car or app. How did you contact them? How can we, who are having the same issue, contact them? Pixel 5 owner with 2020 SR+.
Thanks!

I searched around and didn't see any other posts on this so wanted to post about my experience with it.

Picked up my M3P in mid March with 2019.35.108 which did not have the messaging feature in it. Once my software updated to 2020.8.2 I was happy to see the messaging feature was available and was receiving text messaging. I did notice, however, that about 30% of the time, the message I received on my infotainment screen did not match the message, or even the sender on my phone causing some confusion. In some cases it was pulling random text messages from people I hadn't spoken to in weeks or even months.

Basically I'd get a message on my phone from John Smith today at 2 PM and it would display in the console a message from Jane Doe at 6 PM December 18th.

I figured this might be a known issue and waited for the next software update before pursuing it. I upgraded to 2020.12.5 last week and the issue was still there. I opened a case with Tesla support who walked me through some basic troubleshooting (power off the car, power off the screen, remove and readd phone) but nothing worked. They suggested I schedule a service appointment and I did. They remotely reviewed my logs and came up with it being an issue with how the software interacts with a Pixel phone (I have the Pixel 4 XL). They said it's a known issue but no known date on when the issue will be resolved.

I'll update the thread once I hear more or have a tested resolution.
YES
samsung s20 ultra 5g
i almost got in a fight with my dad over sending me stupid texts and my dickish response to what i thought he had said.

when in fact he hadn't texted me at all

Thanks for he info! But as someone stated earlier, there is no feedback button in the car or app. How did you contact them? How can we, who are having the same issue, contact them? Pixel 5 owner with 2020 SR+.
Thanks!
I opened a service request through the Tesla app on my phone. They'll then ask for the information I put in the post - the app version, phone hardware, phone OS version and the timestamp of an example of when the issue occurs.