Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Model 3 Today - SO many problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally sold the Sonata. Took it to CarMax, and they offered $6500 for it. Tesla quoted me $5000, which wasn't necessarily bad; it was around what KBB was suggesting was fair trade-in value.

The Sonata has pretty much sat idle since I got my Model 3 back in late March. I took it around the block every weekend to keep things going, but it was a pain to keep doing that. Now that winter and snow has arrived, I didn't want to mess with it anymore. Glad CarMax treated me well.

what year was it?

Didn't care for the toy electric snow blowers they have in the stores, - I've gone through several of the plug-in models, and my current one, a 15 ampere "SNO-JOE" (the biggest Snow Thrower that is electric that you can buy) is barely enough for light snow. Heavy Western NY Snows require my recently completely 'HOME converted' 3 horsepower 240 volt model (at full load, it draws 13 amps, but can draw upwards of 35 amperes prior to stalling - while developing 7 1/2 horsepower). Base Snow Blower is a 23 x 24" CASE (dual stage), with an automotive style 2-speed gearbox as well as an extremely rare DUAL input Augur, and no belts anywhere - the power take off from the 3 HP motor (3450 RPM) is a single chain drive.

Wasn't sure it would work so just got a "Smith & Jones" (Chinese) $115 motor from Harbor "JUNK" Tools. Had to shroud the air-inlet with a
old rear seat VOLT floor mat to keep the Snow, Salt and water out of the windings and centrifugal switch.

Last month's unbelievably HEAVY snow killed all the gas snow blowers on the street. Was watching people run them and they constantly had to either restart them, or severely 'back off' on the snow. Mine just barrelled down the sidewalks with my 200 foot cord and the snow went flying away - but I could tell the unit was 'just on the verge' of stalling - but it worked! My neighbor 2 doors down who sold me the SNoBlo minus engine couldn't believe how much power the thing now has.

I could tell the machine was WORKING since when I was done after around an hour, the motor seemed Luke Warm whereas it was usually stone cold. Its Overload protected, but the 20 degree F air is blown right past the protector, preventing it from tripping it is so darn cold.

In case anyone is wondering - I plug the unit into my Tesla 14-50 receptacle since its at the front of the garage anyway, where the snow is.
'

Would love to see a video of this in action.

Today marks the completion of a 2-year wait for a Model 3. It's been a really long wait. So much anticipation. I've literally scoured google daily for Model 3 news for 2 years. And now there's a Model 3 in my garage, and I didn't think I'd have that many problems, but I do. Here goes....

1) I have this Hyundai Sonata that I dunno if I should keep just in case of the apocalypse. Maybe gas is easier to come by than electricity when anarchy reigns?

2) I'm so rarely going to drive that Sonata - having a hard time deciding what kind of insurance coverage I should put on it.

3) I only have a 2-car garage and one spot for visitors on the driveway. The S and 3 are now in the garage, and the Sonata is now relegated to the guest spot, so when people visit, they have to park on the street.

4) People are stopping me to ask about the car. I'm an introvert; can everyone just leave me alone?

5) Need to figure out what to do with a bottle of brake fluid, couple containers of antifreeze, and some 5W30. Maybe I'll donate them to my mechanic. Least I can do for taking business away from him.

6) Inspection sticker is always a challenge. His software doesn't seem equipped to handle the lack of ODB emissions data, which means a longer visit with him just fiddling with his computer.

7) My snowblower runs on gas, so occasionally I have to run to the gas station to fill up my gas cans. If I end up selling the Sonata, do I go to the gas station with the Teslas? Parking at the pump with an EV just seems so wrong. Do I park the car elsewhere and stand at an empty bay with my cans?

8) Here's a short video with some of the strange sounds I've been hearing from my Model 3, both while driving and while parked.

9) There's a gigantic panel gap between my driver-side front door and rear door. I probably could see it from Mars - oh wait, the door's open.

To all the bloggers and 'journalists' who come to this forum cherrypicking threads for bad news to put in your Tesla hit pieces, this is a big F U to you all. You've just been trolled. For those of you who don't know better than to use forums to draw conclusions, please do yourself a favor and read up on selection bias.

Going to spend some time with the car and will be back with some real feedback shortly.

Awesome!

Didn't care for the toy electric snow blowers they have in the stores, - I've gone through several of the plug-in models, and my current one, a 15 ampere "SNO-JOE" (the biggest Snow Thrower that is electric that you can buy) is barely enough for light snow. Heavy Western NY Snows require my recently completely 'HOME converted' 3 horsepower 240 volt model (at full load, it draws 13 amps, but can draw upwards of 35 amperes prior to stalling - while developing 7 1/2 horsepower). Base Snow Blower is a 23 x 24" CASE (dual stage), with an automotive style 2-speed gearbox as well as an extremely rare DUAL input Augur, and no belts anywhere - the power take off from the 3 HP motor (3450 RPM) is a single chain drive.

Wasn't sure it would work so just got a "Smith & Jones" (Chinese) $115 motor from Harbor "JUNK" Tools. Had to shroud the air-inlet with a
old rear seat VOLT floor mat to keep the Snow, Salt and water out of the windings and centrifugal switch.

Last month's unbelievably HEAVY snow killed all the gas snow blowers on the street. Was watching people run them and they constantly had to either restart them, or severely 'back off' on the snow. Mine just barrelled down the sidewalks with my 200 foot cord and the snow went flying away - but I could tell the unit was 'just on the verge' of stalling - but it worked! My neighbor 2 doors down who sold me the SNoBlo minus engine couldn't believe how much power the thing now has.

I could tell the machine was WORKING since when I was done after around an hour, the motor seemed Luke Warm whereas it was usually stone cold. Its Overload protected, but the 20 degree F air is blown right past the protector, preventing it from tripping it is so darn cold.

In case anyone is wondering - I plug the unit into my Tesla 14-50 receptacle since its at the front of the garage anyway, where the snow is.
'
I have one of thoe Snw Joe 15A snow blowers, it's sufficient for now for MD snow, it chugs along if you don't clog it, with too much snow you have take top 5-6" off at a time. But I would love to see what you have, the 3Hp 240V 35A model. Now that I have a NEMA 14-50 in the garage, I could see myself potentially getting the powerful one. Do you have pictures of yours or a video?

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I have one of thoe Snw Joe 15A snow blowers, it's sufficient for now for MD snow, it chugs along if you don't clog it, with too much snow you have take top 5-6" off at a time. But I would love to see what you have, the 3Hp 240V 35A model. Now that I have a NEMA 14-50 in the garage, I could see myself potentially getting the powerful one. Do you have pictures of yours or a video?

No pictures although there were utube videos of the CASE 24 " DUAL INPUT AUGER snowblower online (with a 7 HP Kohler engine). But can't find it now. Mine works similarly except with mine there is no engine noise. Like a motorcycle - power is taken from the electric motor with a 10 tooth #42 pinion sprocket and single chain drive- no clutch necessary since if I want to stop the augur I just kill the motor. The transmission already has a neutral position for the power drive. No v-belts anywhere... My unit was made in 1970 by Roper (the oven people) for CASE.

I guess I'll have to make a video of it.

No pictures although there were utube videos of the CASE 24 " DUAL INPUT AUGER snowblower online (with a 7 HP Kohler engine). But can't find it now. Mine works similarly except with mine there is no engine noise. Like a motorcycle - power is taken from the electric motor with a 10 tooth #42 pinion sprocket and single chain drive- no clutch necessary since if I want to stop the augur I just kill the motor. The transmission already has a neutral position for the power drive. No v-belts anywhere... My unit was made in 1970 by Roper (the oven people) for CASE.

I guess I'll have to make a video of it.

Here's a Youtube video of 2 Case w724's (like mine - except with the original Tecumseh 7 hp gas engine) - everything else is the same - of course these have clutch pinions at the engine where I just have a simple sprocket since it is so easy to flip the power switch.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Today marks the completion of a 2-year wait for a Model 3. It's been a really long wait. So much anticipation. I've literally scoured google daily for Model 3 news for 2 years. And now there's a Model 3 in my garage, and I didn't think I'd have that many problems, but I do. Here goes....

1) I have this Hyundai Sonata that I dunno if I should keep just in case of the apocalypse. Maybe gas is easier to come by than electricity when anarchy reigns?
Definitely not. Get solar panels for the apocalypse. Or an ethanol-based generator.

2) I'm so rarely going to drive that Sonata - having a hard time deciding what kind of insurance coverage I should put on it
Sell it.

4) People are stopping me to ask about the car. I'm an introvert; can everyone just leave me alone?
Wear dark glasses and look dangerous.

5) Need to figure out what to do with a bottle of brake fluid, couple containers of antifreeze, and some 5W30. Maybe I'll donate them to my mechanic. Least I can do for taking business away from him.
How kind of you.

6) Inspection sticker is always a challenge. His software doesn't seem equipped to handle the lack of ODB emissions data, which means a longer visit with him just fiddling with his computer.
He can do it!

7) My snowblower runs on gas, so occasionally I have to run to the gas station to fill up my gas cans. If I end up selling the Sonata, do I go to the gas station with the Teslas? Parking at the pump with an EV just seems so wrong. Do I park the car elsewhere and stand at an empty bay with my cans?

Snow Joe iON8024-XR 24-In 80 Volt 2-Stage Cordless 4 Speed Snow Blower

Power+ Snow Blower with Peak Power™

...they're getting better each year though. There's something to be said for waiting; every year I see configurations with higher power.

• Funny
Reactions: 1.21Jigawatts
Almost didn’t click but saw all the feedback so figured what the heck. Loved it as much as I love driving my Model 3. Clicked on your YT link last and perfect ending to the post! Feel the same way about our cars. Just best ever.

LOL after realizing how old this thread is. Had my Model 3 for over a year now but still feels like it’s new and still just as fun to drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: nvx1977
I am watching a documentary series about the Grimes family during an apocalypse and Rick, the patriarch seems to love Hyundai’s.

Reason 1 is not the joke you are making it out to be.

Superchargers are not fully off grid yet so keep that under consideration.

View attachment 290563
When you said "Grimes family", my first thought was . . . . Grimes.

Attachments

• 02da0b66-1cb3-4527-bbe4-d7ce09e623dd-AP_2018_MET_Museum_Costume_Institute_Benefit_Gala.jpg
    02da0b66-1cb3-4527-bbe4-d7ce09e623dd-AP_2018_MET_Museum_Costume_Institute_Benefit_Gala.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 85
If it were me, I would pull up first and take the handle off the pump and walk up and down the side of the car, no less than 10 times, pressing on the panels and looking for the gas tank door, just to watch people's faces. Then I would go get the can to fill up.

Reactions: nvx1977