Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Model 3 Today - SO many problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nvx1977

Unknown Member
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
Today marks the completion of a 2-year wait for a Model 3. It's been a really long wait. So much anticipation. I've literally scoured google daily for Model 3 news for 2 years. And now there's a Model 3 in my garage, and I didn't think I'd have that many problems, but I do. Here goes....

1) I have this Hyundai Sonata that I dunno if I should keep just in case of the apocalypse. Maybe gas is easier to come by than electricity when anarchy reigns?

2) I'm so rarely going to drive that Sonata - having a hard time deciding what kind of insurance coverage I should put on it.

3) I only have a 2-car garage and one spot for visitors on the driveway. The S and 3 are now in the garage, and the Sonata is now relegated to the guest spot, so when people visit, they have to park on the street.

4) People are stopping me to ask about the car. I'm an introvert; can everyone just leave me alone?

5) Need to figure out what to do with a bottle of brake fluid, couple containers of antifreeze, and some 5W30. Maybe I'll donate them to my mechanic. Least I can do for taking business away from him.

6) Inspection sticker is always a challenge. His software doesn't seem equipped to handle the lack of ODB emissions data, which means a longer visit with him just fiddling with his computer.

7) My snowblower runs on gas, so occasionally I have to run to the gas station to fill up my gas cans. If I end up selling the Sonata, do I go to the gas station with the Teslas? Parking at the pump with an EV just seems so wrong. Do I park the car elsewhere and stand at an empty bay with my cans?

8) Here's a short video with some of the strange sounds I've been hearing from my Model 3, both while driving and while parked.

9) There's a gigantic panel gap between my driver-side front door and rear door. I probably could see it from Mars - oh wait, the door's open.

To all the bloggers and 'journalists' who come to this forum cherrypicking threads for bad news to put in your Tesla hit pieces, this is a big F U to you all. You've just been trolled. For those of you who don't know better than to use forums to draw conclusions, please do yourself a favor and read up on selection bias.

Going to spend some time with the car and will be back with some real feedback shortly.

Received Model 3 Today - SO many problems....

Lol! I get trapped by this clickbait title.

Here is something you can consider having for playing with all of your tools:

Note: About the car insurance (2) , I think you can select witch car will be your primary car.
Why not keeping the older Sonata as primary, might lower the coverage cost of the S and 3?

I am watching a documentary series about the Grimes family during an apocalypse and Rick, the patriarch seems to love Hyundai’s.

Reason 1 is not the joke you are making it out to be.

Superchargers are not fully off grid yet so keep that under consideration.

405B905C-D3CE-4DA8-9D0F-808F3BF04EA4.jpeg

I say ditch the Sonata. In the apocalypse my feeling is that electricity will be easier to come by with solar or wind. Gas and water seem like they will be tougher to come by based on my studies of the life of Mad Max.
One thing people forget is that gas pumps require electricity to pump the gas. I ran into this problem several years ago when we had a widespread, long term power outage here from a storm. I had a gas generator but couldn't get additional gas to refill it. Luckily I had enough on hand to get through it but I could have driven to Rochester to get gas if I had to.

One thing people forget is that gas pumps require electricity to pump the gas. I ran into this problem several years ago when we had a widespread, long term power outage here from a storm. I had a gas generator but couldn't get additional gas to refill it. Luckily I had enough on hand to get through it but I could have driven to Rochester to get gas if I had to.

I’m tapping the underground tanks and other abandoned vehicles.

Normally an apocalypse would be bad but it’d make me not worry about dismal TSLA performance so everything has a bright side.

Last edited:
I say ditch the Sonata. In the apocalypse my feeling is that electricity will be easier to come by with solar or wind. Gas and water seem like they will be tougher to come by based on my studies of the life of Mad Max.

...and, gas stations use (gasp) electricity to pump gas up from those tanks in the ground. In the "apocalypse", they won't be able to fill your tank. Have you thought of putting gas in a barrel in your garage? Let's see, one gallon of gas has the explosive power of eight sticks of dynamite, so 55 gallons times eight is.....

7) My snowblower runs on gas, so occasionally I have to run to the gas station to fill up my gas cans. If I end up selling the Sonata, do I go to the gas station with the Teslas? Parking at the pump with an EV just seems so wrong. Do I park the car elsewhere and stand at an empty bay with my cans?
You park crossways to block access to the pumps on both sides of the aisle, then go to the restaurant across the street for lunch?

tesla-supercharger-hummer.jpg

On #1, 2 snd 3, sell the ICE, no one will want to ever drive it anyway and the battery will be dead when you try to move it to give your guest the spot.

On #7, go ahead and park at a gas station stall in one of your Teslas if there is no one waiting. Even if you sell your gasoline yard tools. We are now a 2 Tesla family (love the model 3), no ICE, and I do that all the time to wash the windshield. I even go inside to ask the cashier to turn on the air and water if I need to fill my tires or washer fluid. I figure I've contributed to the oil companies plenty over the years.