Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received my model S , 1st week had to get frunk realigned. Was told by mobile service and SA that wrapping my car would not void warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So first week of receiving the car , there was multiple issues . the mobile service tech came out , said he could only adjust the frunk and I would have to bring in the model s into a service center for wind noise and other alignment issues with lights. I asked the service tech , the same thing I asked my SA prior , if I wrap the car, will it void any warranty ? i was told no . I booked a service appt , but there was no openings for 3 weeks . So I figured I'll get my S wrapped now and deal with issues after the wrap. Well guess what happens ? I bring the car into Tesla Service center and they tell me there they cant work on my S anymore because its wrapped. They can only look at it for $200 an hour. Anyone else deal with this ?

E47BF10C-68F5-4D18-9EA0-9D7785C15305.jpeg

This is my model S 3 weeks after receiving it .

Reactions: AMPd
They can’t “void your warranty” for a wrap.

They could maybe void your paint warranty, but that’s it.
They said they cant do any work on the car anymore because of the wrap. All the stuff they would normally check for free and fix when you first receive the car. The only way they can work on it is if i pay $200 an hour for them to assess what needs to be done. and then pay labor plus $200 rate

Do any of the issues require access to or work on wrapped parts? Try a pleasant discussion with the Service Mgr, asking for their help or to escalate for you if necessary. Keep it friendly and see where you can get.
the issues before wrap was :

alignment of one of the plastic black piece on outside driver window
noise coming into car from that side window
misalignment of one of the taillights
big gap on one of headlights after frunk realignment
and the side cameras not showing sides of car in Sentry mode .
the service team told me the only thing they can look at is the plastic piece on the door , everything else since its near all the newly wrapped parts they cant look unless I pay for it

the service team told me the only thing they can look at is the plastic piece on the door , everything else since its near all the newly wrapped parts they cant look unless I pay for it
I mean, this actually seems mostly reasonable. They don’t want the liability of messing with your wrap. Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I’d have never gone forward with a wrap if I was expecting them to address post-delivery exterior issues.

My Teslas have been wrapped since early on. Never had them refuse to do warranty work when needed. What service center is telling you this?

What exact wording in the warranty are they claiming prevents them from doing what they would be doing if the car weren't wrapped?

My Teslas have been wrapped since early on. Never had them refuse to do warranty work when needed. What service center is telling you this?

What exact wording in the warranty are they claiming prevents them from doing what they would be doing if the car weren't wrapped?
Tesla Rocklin

they didnt say anything about wording. just said they arent allowed to work on anything that is wrapped. or even tinted windows

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
I mean, this actually seems mostly reasonable. They don’t want the liability of messing with your wrap. Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but I’d have never gone forward with a wrap if I was expecting them to address post-delivery exterior issues.
My SA and the mobile service tech who came both told me wrapping wouldnt be an issue and should be fine. So if they both work for tesla , why wouldnt I move forward with it ?

I've never heard of wrapping being an issue with any car. My entire front is wrapped with x-pel ultimate since day 2 and they did plenty of post panel alignment adjustments after my wrap. There's no difference between a wrap and plain old PPF.

Reactions: AMPd
This is exactly it. They are not "voiding" your warranty, but the are not going to work on your wrapped car, somehow scratch your wrap, and then have to pay to fix it. Most of your issues deal with panels being moved/adjusted which is just asking for the wrap to be messed up.

I bet if you removed the wrap, they would be happy to help with your issues.