TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

Discussion in 'California' started by RandyS, Mar 17, 2018.

1. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

Received Red HOV Stickers today for my Model 3...A total of 4 stickers, 3 for the rear and 1 for the front (new requirement). Expires 1/1/19...Almost a perfect match against the MC Red paint...

RedHOVCarsm.jpg

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  2. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

Expires 1/19? So you'll still need to reapply at the end of the year like folks with the white stickers?b at least they match your car.

When did you send in your application?

• Like x 1
  3. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

I think I sent in the app about January 12th after my plates came in and I swapped over my personalized plate...

Here is what came with it...

Attached Files:

4. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Just got my red stickers as well. We submitted in early January as well but these took significantly longer to receive vs the white stickers I got last year for our S...

All stickers are expiring 1/2019 from what I understand unless CA extends the program beyond 2019

5. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

My check got cashed last week, dreading putting on those hideous bloody things. Sigh…

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. M3totms

M3totms Member

That's cool if you have a red car. Otherwise I'm not a fan of the color change..

• Like x 1
  7. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

It's crazy how California bureaucracies think.

Let's mark cars that are not HOV so they can use the HOV lanes. We have 10 kinds of special plates, so ...

LET'S MAKE THEM STICKERS!!!! Plates would be too simple.

How many stickers? You'd think 1 sticker, but not so fast. For a cop to see them while you are driving, a single one on the back will work. Since HOV lanes are to the left, have them put it on the right side of the rear. That will be perfect.
    Naw... Too easy. Make them put one on each of the 4 sides of the car!!! We would put one on the roof, but there are convertibles. Rats. We could have them put one the bottom of the car, but it's too hard to get them to stick.

Now ... We have White Stickers that mean ZEV. But our policy changes from time to time, and we already have 3 colors of HOV stickers, so let's make it an even 4 colors to simplify matters and increase sticker production cost. Wait. If we make the stickers 2 sizes, won't that ALSO cost a little more? GREAT IDEA Simpson, you can take a month off with pay!

We are proof that the California school system collapsed in the 1970's.

• Funny x 12
    • Like x 9
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. run-the-joules

This is what happens when you make the state legislature a jobs program for the mentally retarded.

They could even have dramatically increased compliance with the front plate law by giving an INCENTIVE to put the damned things on.

• Funny x 4
  9. gaswalla

yes.. a special front plate for HOV access.. simple idea that works - would eliminate all those fake HOV-access vehicles in LA/OC like the Prius and Civics with the green stickers (but actually are stock, ICE vehicles)
    also, online application for HOV access also so that applications can be tracked and it wouldn't take 2+ months to cash a check, check a vin, and mail some stickers.

• Like x 2
  10. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Hey, if it works for the Presidency, why not for State Legislators too?

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 3
  11. run-the-joules

Yeah I cannot believe I had to send in a printed application with an actual check, in 2018. FFS…

• Like x 2
  12. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Rats, I was soo looking forward to white sticker on our white 3!!!

13. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Think these red stickers will look much better than the white, when installed on the black lower areas.

14. Mayo

Mayo Member

I have used these stickers on my old toyota prius. They dont come off cleanly and look awful. after that experience I refused to apply them on my model S or 3. I keep mine in the glove box. Just in case I am pulled over. lets face it if a cop cant figure out your car is an EV he has no business being a Peace Officer

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. gaswalla

Got my red stickers too.. Don't like the color, but maybe I'll paint the calipers red, and get a reds highlight theme going on the silver car

16. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

One suggestion: if it’s worth spending a bit of money to you to be able to remove the stickers cleanly if/when the program expires, you could have a detailer cut pieces of PPF to match the stickers and then put the stickers on, so that they’re on more easily removable PPF instead of the paint itself.

• Like x 2
  17. SDRick

SDRick Active Member

New red stickers, you've got to be kidding.

I keep my stickers in the glove box as well. Have not had a problem in almost 2 years. No front plates since I moved to California 30 years ago. Never had a problem.

My theory is that I am offering law enforcement a free "look-see" since I can be "legitimately" stopped any time for these minor infractions. Either I have been lucky or perhaps most officers would rather spend their time going after real threats to safety and society.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

#18 Az_Rael, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    I put my S stickers on some of that window cling vinyl. Then I only put them on the car when I need to use them and take them off after (I don’t use the hov lanes daily). If you do use the lanes daily, the PPF solution mentioned above is the way to go.

I wonder if there is enough steel in the Model 3 body to be able to put the stickers on magnets?

EDIT: I just checked, and some of the body panels are magnetic. Not the front or back bumper, but you could definately put the stickers on some of that flexible magnet material used for advertisements and the the stickers “close” to their locations. Then just take them on and off as needed.

I haven’t ordered the stickers for my 3 yet - I was just using the ones from my old S (which I know isn’t correct and I could get a ticket)

• Helpful x 1
  19. Sparky

Sparky Member

#19 Sparky, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    The method of identification (red decals at specific location on vehicle is determined by the CHP & Fed DOT) From CA Veh code:
    What I don't get is why issue this interim red decal. Both red and white expire Jan 1 2019. Plus red decals only began issuing on Mar 1. So, they're only good for 10 months max.

Incidentally, the Feds (DOT) can nullify this whole single-occupant HOV lane access by state-issued decals at any time. Can't imagine the Feds doing something so petty and punitive to CA though. :rolleyes:

20. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

Eager to see what the red-on-red looks like once you’ve applied them ...