Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RandyS

Fan of Elon
Jul 8, 2012
San Diego
Received Red HOV Stickers today for my Model 3...A total of 4 stickers, 3 for the rear and 1 for the front (new requirement). Expires 1/1/19...Almost a perfect match against the MC Red paint...

RedHOVCarsm.jpg

Just got my red stickers as well. We submitted in early January as well but these took significantly longer to receive vs the white stickers I got last year for our S...

All stickers are expiring 1/2019 from what I understand unless CA extends the program beyond 2019

It's crazy how California bureaucracies think.

Let's mark cars that are not HOV so they can use the HOV lanes. We have 10 kinds of special plates, so ...

LET'S MAKE THEM STICKERS!!!! Plates would be too simple.

How many stickers? You'd think 1 sticker, but not so fast. For a cop to see them while you are driving, a single one on the back will work. Since HOV lanes are to the left, have them put it on the right side of the rear. That will be perfect.
Naw... Too easy. Make them put one on each of the 4 sides of the car!!! We would put one on the roof, but there are convertibles. Rats. We could have them put one the bottom of the car, but it's too hard to get them to stick.

Now ... We have White Stickers that mean ZEV. But our policy changes from time to time, and we already have 3 colors of HOV stickers, so let's make it an even 4 colors to simplify matters and increase sticker production cost. Wait. If we make the stickers 2 sizes, won't that ALSO cost a little more? GREAT IDEA Simpson, you can take a month off with pay!

We are proof that the California school system collapsed in the 1970's.

It's crazy how California bureaucracies think.

Let's mark car that are not HOV so they can use the HOV lanes. We have 10 kinds of special plates, so ...
LET'S MAKE THEM STICKERS!!!!
How many? Well for a cop to see them while you are driving, a single one on the back will work. Since HOV lanes are to the left, have them put it on the right side of the rear.
Naw... Too easy. Make them put one on each of the 4 sides of the car!!! We would put one on the roof, but there are convertibles. Rats. We could have them put one the bottom of the car, but it's too hard to get them to stick.

Now ... We have White Stickers that mean ZEV. But our policy changes from time to time, and we already have 3 colors of HOV stickers, so let's make it an even 4 colors to simplify matter and increase sticker production cost. Wait. If we make the stickers 2 sizes, won't that ALSO cost a little more? GREAT IDEA Simpson, you can take a month off with pay!

We are proof that the California school system collapsed in the 1970's.

This is what happens when you make the state legislature a jobs program for the mentally retarded.

They could even have dramatically increased compliance with the front plate law by giving an INCENTIVE to put the damned things on.

yes.. a special front plate for HOV access.. simple idea that works - would eliminate all those fake HOV-access vehicles in LA/OC like the Prius and Civics with the green stickers (but actually are stock, ICE vehicles)
also, online application for HOV access also so that applications can be tracked and it wouldn't take 2+ months to cash a check, check a vin, and mail some stickers.

yes.. a special front plate for HOV access.. simple idea that works - would eliminate all those fake HOV-access vehicles in LA/OC like the Prius and Civics with the green stickers (but actually are stock, ICE vehicles)
also, online application for HOV access also so that applications can be tracked and it wouldn't take 2+ months to cash a check, check a vin, and mail some stickers.

Yeah I cannot believe I had to send in a printed application with an actual check, in 2018. FFS…

New red stickers, you've got to be kidding.

I keep my stickers in the glove box as well. Have not had a problem in almost 2 years. No front plates since I moved to California 30 years ago. Never had a problem.

My theory is that I am offering law enforcement a free "look-see" since I can be "legitimately" stopped any time for these minor infractions. Either I have been lucky or perhaps most officers would rather spend their time going after real threats to safety and society.

I have used these stickers on my old toyota prius. They dont come off cleanly and look awful. after that experience I refused to apply them on my model S or 3. I keep mine in the glove box. Just in case I am pulled over. lets face it if a cop cant figure out your car is an EV he has no business being a Peace Officer

I put my S stickers on some of that window cling vinyl. Then I only put them on the car when I need to use them and take them off after (I don’t use the hov lanes daily). If you do use the lanes daily, the PPF solution mentioned above is the way to go.

I wonder if there is enough steel in the Model 3 body to be able to put the stickers on magnets?

EDIT: I just checked, and some of the body panels are magnetic. Not the front or back bumper, but you could definately put the stickers on some of that flexible magnet material used for advertisements and the the stickers “close” to their locations. Then just take them on and off as needed.

I haven’t ordered the stickers for my 3 yet - I was just using the ones from my old S (which I know isn’t correct and I could get a ticket)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
This is what happens when you make the state legislature a jobs program for the mentally retarded.

They could even have dramatically increased compliance with the front plate law by giving an INCENTIVE to put the damned things on.
The method of identification (red decals at specific location on vehicle is determined by the CHP & Fed DOT) From CA Veh code:
(f) (1) For purposes of subdivision (a), the Department of the California Highway Patrol and the department, in consultation with the Department of Transportation, shall design and specify the placement of the decal, label, or other identifier on the vehicle. Each decal, label, or other identifier issued for a vehicle shall display a unique number, which shall be printed on, or affixed to, the vehicle registration.
What I don't get is why issue this interim red decal. Both red and white expire Jan 1 2019. Plus red decals only began issuing on Mar 1. So, they're only good for 10 months max.

Incidentally, the Feds (DOT) can nullify this whole single-occupant HOV lane access by state-issued decals at any time. Can't imagine the Feds doing something so petty and punitive to CA though. :rolleyes:

Last edited: