Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The application asks for plate number as well. So I assume we have to wait for plates? Not sure. I was going to send an application but stopped when I saw license plate number....

That is what they told me when I called and asked. Plus the document they send you to keep in the car has the plate number on it so it would seem you need a plate number for them to be able to print that.

So I sent in an application for the 2nd car's stickers after traveling for an extended period. The DMV sent back the application with a note that the check was too old (90 days plus).

So I sent in the same application with a new check. The aforementioned geniuses sent back the application with a note that the application was too old. Evidently it was too much trouble to note that the first time around.

So I just sent in a completely new application (which looks exactly like the former application except for a new date that I've written in) with the same check which is not more than 90 days too old.

The irony being that soon after I receive the stickers, with which I still refuse to deface the chariot due to their abject hideousness, the car will no longer have CA plates and so the stickers will be completely useless. More or less *polite cough*.

And so it goes. Fortunately when in town, there's often a 2nd person with me so until *that* rule changes, HOV lanes will still be my friend. I presume everyone has received the Metro Expresslanes survey asking how we feel about them potentially changing the rule in SoCal from 2 people to more than 2 people...

• Funny
Reactions: EVnut
That is what they told me when I called and asked. Plus the document they send you to keep in the car has the plate number on it so it would seem you need a plate number for them to be able to print that.
No, they will process the application with just the Vin on it. Surprising given the typical bureaucracy of the DMV, but they will put your plate into on the certificate if you submit the application with vin only.

I have done this several times. Do not need to wait for the plate.

I spoke to someone at California ARB today and she told me that the sticker is good until Jan 1st of the 4th year. She was explicit that if you got the sticker this year, it would be good until Jan 1 2022. She confirmed that if you get it next year, for example Jan 2, 2019, it will be good until Jan 1, 2023. If your goal is to have the sticker for the longest duration possible, it seems like you should wait until the new year.

But if you have the sticker now, you can use the HOV lanes so...why wait? Besides, there's a good chance the HOV lanes will be a lot more congested by next year, not to mention in 2022, with all the 3s on the road. :)

Yes, it all depends on your situation. That is why I said IF your goal is to have the stickers for the longest duration possible. I am still on the fence but it is mainly because I have a red 3 and the current sticker is red, which I prefer. I have no idea what color sticker they will issue next year. If we are just talking about duration though, I'd rather wait and get the additional 9-ish months or so since I am still waiting on my plates and have heard conflicting info about whether plate number is needed for the application.

Saw this in another thread but don't know how it's been minimally noticed since April when the vote passed.

In Los Angeles, 110 and 10 will be toll roads that give a 15% discount off the toll to single occupancy CAV. No more free "carpool lane" pass.

Sucks. My whole commute is 110 and 10.

Did you apply once you got the VIN and before delivery?

Waited for plates. People on here have said they had success applying with just the VIN. I got my VIN roughly 48 hours before I got my car and I was scrambling to figure out financing, charging, etc (among other issues) so I didn't have time to worry about the carpool stickers. It was a particularly crazy time and I hadn't really figured out all the details of owning an EV at that time.

But if you have the sticker now, you can use the HOV lanes so...why wait? Besides, there's a good chance the HOV lanes will be a lot more congested by next year, not to mention in 2022, with all the 3s on the road. :)

That's what we decided on. If we waited, we were only looking at 6 months extra use time. We figured it was more useful to get it now and see how things go later. Maybe they'll extend it later.

No, they will process the application with just the Vin on it. Surprising given the typical bureaucracy of the DMV, but they will put your plate into on the certificate if you submit the application with vin only.

I have done this several times. Do not need to wait for the plate.

Ah, good to know. I'll have to submit ours then. Had the car for 3 weeks, no hint of plates. TBH I'm not sure they've submitted the title application.

Just got my red stickers as well. We submitted in early January as well but these took significantly longer to receive vs the white stickers I got last year for our S...

All stickers are expiring 1/2019 from what I understand unless CA extends the program beyond 2019

Check the paperwork that you are supposed to keep in the car. Just got mine, and there it says they expire in 2022.

Check the paperwork that you are supposed to keep in the car. Just got mine, and there it says they expire in 2022.

Mine that I got in June says 1/1/19. I am assuming they will just send me a new one for 2022.

2018-08-22.png

• Informative
Reactions: Sneakerhead
Well got my car aug 1. Dmv processed and cashed my 22 bucks for hov. I sent without plate number! Thank you whoever that said plates are not required! You saved me 3 weeks because it took 3 weeks for plates to arrive

Glad to hear it. I waited a month, still no plates (5 weeks now). Just sent in my application last week without plate #. We'll see. I'm suspicious Tesla hasn't even sent in the title application because they haven't taken my money yet either. So if there's no title application there might be no reg info at all for them to look up.