Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been putting the stickers in my windows on days that I plan to ride in the carpool lanes (one day a week I make a 100 mile commute each way). So far no issues.

I'm curious if anyone has actually received the $500 ticket for not having the stickers properly displayed.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I've been putting the stickers in my windows on days that I plan to ride in the carpool lanes (one day a week I make a 100 mile commute each way). So far no issues.

I'm curious if anyone has actually received the $500 ticket for not having the stickers properly displayed.
I doubt the ticket would be issued with respect to not being displayed properly. More likely to be issued if it was not displayed at all(even though you have them).

That's the video I saw for getting the water/alcohol ratio. I didn't care for where he's placing the side panel, tho. Personally, I'd move the sticker more to the right, lining the right straight edge to where the bend is by the wheel. Possibly higher too so the angle of the sticker edge matches the angle of the edge of the panel.

Pondering if I will get fix it ticket every time an office stops me haha. Tbh drove an Audi A6 2012-2017 without front plate and never had issues, didn't know was driving without it though.

That's a pretty impressive number of years to not notice you don't have a front plate :D
16 years driving in CA with no front plate, plenty of fast cars driven quickly, motorbikes, etc etc. Never even been pulled over. I think you'd have a hard time finding a place more lax on these kinds of things. I've driven in at least half the states in the union and it sure is nice here. Go on a roadtrip, get stopped in Utah for 39 in a 40, "sir, these windows look awfully dark to me..." pfft.

No, I think this is just one of those things out-of-state people like to CLAIM is going to happen here.

How I've dealt with my red HOV stickers (haven't had time to place the sides yet), which I feel didn't come out horrible. I kinda planned early for the red HOV stickers and figured I needed to tie the color into the car. I did this by getting the front and rear Tesla decal wrapped in red as well as sticking red decals on the aeros. The results are below.

The decal for the front actually worked pretty well with the way the bumper is shaped under the light. For the rear I just lined up the horizontal line of the bumper and gave a little bit of spacing from the red reflector to avoid a noticeable clutter.

I think for previous examples in the thread...some of you really need to work on lining up the angles. Yeesh. Forgot where I saw it but I sprayed a mix of 1:5 ratio alcohol/water from a spray bottle to mist the bumper and sticker before applying so that I could move them around and check positions. That helped tremendously.

Those came out really well. I gotta say, I think the worst applications are the ones where people line up with the trim on a section where the trim isn't quite level with the road. It seems like the right thing to do up close but looks bad from farther away. I guess that's one advantage to the PPF route, keep re-applying 'till you get it right.

Important note: It's not a fix-it ticket for the HOV stickers. If they give you a ticket, it's (if memory serves) $491 + 1 point. No stickers on an eligible car is legally the same as a Humvee with one person in it, for HOV purposes.

I don't run a front plate because I don't mind paying $25 every once in a while but almost $500 and a point on the license = nope.

Thanks for clarifying, yes I meant for the Plates, not HOVs... but thanks for noting it, I take carpool everyday and was planning to go without it, guess I will wait the red stickers. So front plate should be ok right?

Thanks for clarifying, yes I meant for the Plates, not HOVs... but thanks for noting it, I take carpool everyday and was planning to go without it, guess I will wait the red stickers. So front plate should be ok right?

Depends where you are. In the SGV area, they've used that as an excuse to pull people over. I've been pulled over for that too in Irvine a long time ago, but my car was a lot cheaper than. In Irvine, if your car is nice enough, they seem to be lax on stuff like that. SGV area cops don't care how much your car is.

My check got cashed last week, dreading putting on those hideous bloody things. Sigh…
Hey I had someone that does wraps copy mine and they peel right back off. I have actually reused them placing them on and off and yes the security part does not come out when reprinted but I don't really think law enforcement is going to look that closely at the sticker more the certificate that's issued with them. I also have the originals in my glove box. RPM also sells the clear bra so you can peel back off when our great state kicks us out of the carpool lane!!:eek:

Hey I had someone that does wraps copy mine and they peel right back off. I have actually reused them placing them on and off and yes the security part does not come out when reprinted but I don't really think law enforcement is going to look that closely at the sticker more the certificate that's issued with them. I also have the originals in my glove box. RPM also sells the clear bra so you can peel back off when our great state kicks us out of the carpool lane!!:eek:

Yeah I applied my stickers direct to some PPF so they can be easily removed when that sad day comes.

FYI I submitted mine a few weeks ago then I emailed [email protected] 5 days ago just asking the status along with my VIN number. I saw today they cashed the check. No clue if it made any difference to email them, or if I was even emailing the right people.
I think it is the DMV that administers the sticker program so not sure contacting the ARB helps at all. You have to contact the DMV Special Processing Unit (google their number) and they can help. Use their auto callback function so you don’t wait on hold.