Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure thing. Will probably get to it this weekend...though honestly I'm mulling if just leaving it with just the front and back while keeping the sides in my glove would be enough.

Why would you risk a $490 fine plus 1 point if you already had the stickers? It would be at the officer's discretion to let you pass, or cite you and then argue in court, but it's not just a simple "fix a ticket" matter.

B22D9D71-2413-430D-9903-B1551192D236.jpeg 9F76E1D8-7850-4460-B76A-729D8E0D009C.jpeg

Decided to put one sticker in the front (PPF cutout) and then 30mil thick magnets for the two rear stickers. This gives me the ability to place and remove the decals as I please, since I don’t intend to use the lanes that often.

Reactions: forkee
Why would you risk a $490 fine plus 1 point if you already had the stickers? It would be at the officer's discretion to let you pass, or cite you and then argue in court, but it's not just a simple "fix a ticket" matter.

Partially it's just due to laziness cause I don't want them to be misaligned and the I just don't have the time to do it properly recently. I'm just waiting for some free time really, but I do mull over what the actual requirements are....I've been looking at the CVC and the instructions and I just don't see where it says all of them must be displayed. DMV's mailing only show where the placement would be, unlike license plate instructions that state both must be attached. The vehicle codes only refer that "A" or "The" decal (singular) must be displayed properly while driving in the HOV lane. I've searched many threads on the matter and nobody seems to have a definitive answer or a link to find it.

We put ours on today. We purchased a piece of 6" wide roll of 3M PPF from amazon and put the stickers on that and then put it on the car. We attached 3 out of the 4 stickers. I'm already running without a front license plate..I don't want to be *too* much of an outlaw.

View attachment 310571 View attachment 310572 View attachment 310573

Very nicely applied.

Still makes me want to cry, but very nicely applied nonetheless.

If I ever do cave and apply these miserable and wholly unnecessary stickers to a vehicle that will never grow a tailpipe, they will be mounted as low and as evenly as possible, as shown above. For now, they reside in my glovebox as proof that indeed, I have paid the associated tax, er, fee. Twice.

I have never appreciated more, nor missed as much, the eminently more sensible and far more aesthetically appealing option of a special plate. But noooooooooooooo.

I would think processing applications and re-sending stickers every year would be more costly than sending a plate once and then just collecting the additional plate fee every year like AZ does.
There's no guarantee that they're going to make us use new stickers each year, right? Along with the stickers is a certificate that shows the expiration. All they would have to do to make us legal is give us a new certificate when we renew.

With all of the toll lanes being added in CA, i wonder if this is why CA is not issuing long term stickers and going away from the privilege to drive solo in the HOV lanes.... ???

So far as I understand it, the general HOV concept is not going anywhere... But... EV HOV access is likely on it's way out due to the number of cars and the growth curve that's going to eventually cause gridlock in the HOV lanes due to solo occupant EV owners. Some areas already are experiencing traffic impacts due to the number of solo occupant EVs in the HOV lane.

What is CA doing about it? Converting HOV lanes to "express lanes"... Carpoolers will still get to drive free but everyone else will have the opportunity to "buy in" as needed/wanted in order to supposedly go faster and get through traffic quicker. I've seen the term "Lexus lanes" often in media reporting around the Bay Area...

Caltrans has a massive backlog of maintenance and is about to lose a major source of increased funding which was designed to help fix the backlog due to short sighted citizens when the increased gas tax gets repealed in November... Where else to get that money? Tolls... Sadly the gas tax doesn't even remotely reflect where it should be once you factor in all of the environmental damage burning a gallon of gas causes but people would rather whine about poor road conditions than pay to fix them so....

Jeff

Reactions: MissyMcBee
So far as I understand it, the general HOV concept is not going anywhere... But... EV HOV access is likely on it's way out due to the number of cars and the growth curve that's going to eventually cause gridlock in the HOV lanes due to solo occupant EV owners. Some areas already are experiencing traffic impacts due to the number of solo occupant EVs in the HOV lane.

What is CA doing about it? Converting HOV lanes to "express lanes"... Carpoolers will still get to drive free but everyone else will have the opportunity to "buy in" as needed/wanted in order to supposedly go faster and get through traffic quicker. I've seen the term "Lexus lanes" often in media reporting around the Bay Area...

Caltrans has a massive backlog of maintenance and is about to lose a major source of increased funding which was designed to help fix the backlog due to short sighted citizens when the increased gas tax gets repealed in November... Where else to get that money? Tolls... Sadly the gas tax doesn't even remotely reflect where it should be once you factor in all of the environmental damage burning a gallon of gas causes but people would rather whine about poor road conditions than pay to fix them so....

Jeff
This is what i figured was going on...

Reactions: jeffro01