Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s my efforts, stuck on XPEL from Amazon first...

Attachments

• 8CABBF19-04C3-4500-BAFD-C39C8BA10C8A.jpeg
    8CABBF19-04C3-4500-BAFD-C39C8BA10C8A.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 332
  • ABBC3E51-F01D-4FA3-B4B3-52BF6248CD63.jpeg
    ABBC3E51-F01D-4FA3-B4B3-52BF6248CD63.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 268
  • F0151627-84C7-4BC8-97C9-9802821E21B2.jpeg
    F0151627-84C7-4BC8-97C9-9802821E21B2.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 271
Motorcycles can use the HOV lane at any time (NO STICKERS). You would think EVs could do the same. I know, it expects the cops to know the difference between an ICE car and an EV... but really? That hard?

Considering all the plug in hybrids now or electrical versions of existing cars, with more coming online... yes, it's pretty hard. Especially at a distance.

Motorcycles can use the HOV lane at any time (NO STICKERS). You would think EVs could do the same. I know, it expects the cops to know the difference between an ICE car and an EV... but really? That hard?

All motorcycles are exempt without exception for an indefinite period of time, but EVs are only exempt if the the owners meet the qualifications, apply for, and are approved for the exemption. Also, these exemptions expire after ~ 4 years.

If all EVs were exempt without exception for an indefinite period of time, then your argument may have a tiny chance of making sense. But then exempting all EVs without exception for an indefinite period of time would hardly make any sense from a public policy perspective.

For anyone interested in a temp solution:

Got my magnetic sheet in the mail today. Decided to test this out with my old S white stickers that I never put on my car while I wait for my red ones.

I will use these headed down to Van Nuys on Friday, will see how well they hold up to freeway speeds. I am not bothering with the front one.

View attachment 288023 View attachment 288024

Brilliant idea, @Az_Rael! What kind of magnetic sheet did you get and where did you get it?

I just got my red stickers and haven't put them on my MS yet. I don't really use the HOV lanes much, but I'd like to have the capacity to do so without permanently uglifying my car.

Last edited:
I just got my red stickers and haven't put them on my MS yet. I don't really use the HOV lanes much, but I'd like to have the capacity to do so without permanently uglifying my car.

I got them off of Amazon. However, they do not work on the S as the S is aluminum body panels. I used a sheet of window cling from JoAnn fabrics to stick the HOV stickers on when I had my S.

Reactions: Tezzie
I got them off of Amazon. However, they do not work on the S as the S is aluminum body panels. I used a sheet of window cling from JoAnn fabrics to stick the HOV stickers on when I had my S.

This dude shows how to apply a piece of the Xpel PPF over the HOV sticker, cut it out, and squeegee it onto a car that had Xpel PPF applied.

I'm going to confirm this with the company that applied my Xpel PPF and will get back to you.

Reactions: WallyP
I am holding off because of this too

i know it has been posted, but is it confirmed that if you wait till 1/1/19 to apply, the sticker is good till 2023 instead of 2022? the documentation seems to suggest otherwise
thanks!

i'm not sure what documentation you've been reading that suggests otherwise, but the CARB website is very clear on it...

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

Qualifying vehicles that were not issued a green, white, or red decal prior to January 1, 2019, will be eligible for a new Clean Air Vehicle decal starting in January 2019. These decals will expire January 1, 2023. Information regarding the color, application date, and application process are not yet available.

California’s Clean Air Decals | California Air Resources Board

For Decals Issued on:
January 1, 2019 or after to a vehicle that did not previously have a decal

Will Be Valid until:

January 1st of the fourth year after the year of issue.
For example, a decal issued on June 24, 2019 would expire on January 1, 2023

hell, if you wanted to, you could wait until 2020 or 2021 and push the date out even further (although of course this means you don't have HOV access at the current moment until you actually apply for the sticker)...

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: abasile and Tezzie
Enjoy the HOV sticker access while you can. Pressure is comming down from the Fed (who fund the HOV lanes).

They noticed that the HOV lanes are so clogged up with vehicles they often do not serve their purpose of speeding up High Occupancy Vehicles. Between all the single people sneaking in and all the vehicles exempt they often are not much faster than the regular lanes.

The Fed did not intend HOV lanes to privilege EVs and all the other exemptions that some states have enabled.

They are not threatening to hold back federal funds unless they are free flowing.

Will become a combination toll road and bus lane.

Perhaps they should take the cheaters out of the lane. It seems like for every 10 cars that pass, 6 of them have no one in the car but the driver and no stickers on the outside. I do see an electric car in that 10, but they are not the majority. I NEVER see police pulling over cheating drivers. At almost $500 a ticket you would think it would be a popular one to give out.

-Randy

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Enjoy the HOV sticker access while you can. Pressure is comming down from the Fed (who fund the HOV lanes).

They noticed that the HOV lanes are so clogged up with vehicles they often do not serve their purpose of speeding up High Occupancy Vehicles. Between all the single people sneaking in and all the vehicles exempt they often are not much faster than the regular lanes.

The Fed did not intend HOV lanes to privilege EVs and all the other exemptions that some states have enabled.

They are not threatening to hold back federal funds unless they are free flowing.

Will become a combination toll road and bus lane.

source?

Reactions: Tezzie
Yep, enforce the cheaters and you will have much faster flowing lanes. I've seen several instances where the cheater passes the toll plaza area passing a parked officer and still get away with it. I don't think they will get rid of HOV lanes, they may change it and limit it to only 2-3 passengers like before and not offer them to EV/hybrids.

It seems ridiculous to have ugly HOV stickers all over the car. In California, permanent disability stickers are applied to license plates and renewed annually, as part of vehicle registration--why can't that be done for ZEVs?

As far as HOV lane privileges, it seems reasonable that these are being phased out for gas/electric hybrids. It should eventually be reserved for high occupancy and zero emissions vehicles.