Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Receiving FM radio with HW 3.0 in Drive-in Theatre

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread does remind me that many traffic, bridge and area conditions local transmissions are done on the AM band, 560Khz, 1610Khz, etc. Anybody bothered about not being able to tune into such local transmissions? For me I would encounter such situations maybe once every 3-5yrs, but still...

For traffic conditions, certainly Waze etc are probably reasonable substitutes, but the AM band is also used for other, non-traffic informational purposes -- like entrance information into parks, amusement areas, etc.

Travelers' Information Stations Search

Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) Locations - New York State Thruway

Last edited:
As many people have said, FM is still there on HW 3.0, atleast that's what my 2020 Model 3 came with. I think you might be referring to MCU 1 vs 2, where they did remove AM and XM radios on MCU 2.

I have heard the reasons why AM radio was removed was because some sort of interference, is that true?

This thread does remind me that many traffic, bridge and area conditions local transmissions are done on the AM band, 560Khz, 1610Khz, etc. Anybody bothered about not being able to tune into such local transmissions? For me I would encounter such situations maybe once every 3-5yrs, but still...

For traffic conditions, certainly Waze etc are probably reasonable substitutes, but the AM band is also used for other, non-traffic informational purposes -- like entrance information into parks, amusement areas, etc.

Travelers' Information Stations Search

Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) Locations - New York State Thruway
I carry a small transistor radio in my glove box for such messages.