Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Receiving FM radio with HW 3.0 in Drive-in Theatre

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will soon look into a new Tesla, but just realize HW 3.0 may not come with the good old FM radio anymore. It is probably not needed most of the time, except when we go to our beloved Drive-in Theatre where sound is broadcast in FM. We would love to use Tesla's own audio, but wondering if anyone has found a way to get it work.

I did searches in internet to find FM radio that broadcasts bluetooth, but I can only find the reversed where bluetooth audio is transmitted as FM.

Thanks!

There have been conflicting reports on the removal of over the air radio being included in HW3 cars.
Some reports say there is no AM or FM radio any longer, while others say there is no AM but FM
remains. That would make sense as AM is subject to RF interference in an EV while FM does not
have that problem. As a relic from the past, I love listening to AM radio and would love to see
properly filtered AM receivers in any car, but that is expecting too much as the world seems to be
moving to streaming audio content. Most AM stations do provide streaming services but Tesla
limits that as well as many stations do NOT use TUNEIN to stream.

Reactions: tangent
All Tesla's are/were sold with FM radio. The only ones that lose FM are early S and X who voluntarily choose to upgrade the MCU to the latest hardware version. This is separate from the FSD computer.
This. Also, no Teslas come with AM radio after March 2018 since Tuner 2, that comes with MCU2 does not have AM. No Model 3 or Y cars ever had AM, only FM.

Hakuna matata!

It means no worries ... for the rest of your days ...

Nothing to be concerned with! Every single Model 3 & Y has FM radio. No matter what computer’s installed.

All new Model S & X’s also have FM radios. The only ones that do not anymore are a very small, specific set of original cars that have had their display computer (MCU) upgraded.

Now, all that said ... even with that, no worries! Plug one of these into the headphone jack on a small transistor radio, and you can transmit it via Bluetooth to your car: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0829S6K1X/

... and even more interesting, our closest drive-in theater has now started using an app called ListenEverywhere that streams the movie audio to your phone. Same thing - just use Bluetooth to the car.

Plenty of ways to listen in - but have no fear, any and all Model 3s & Ys will have an FM radio for you.

Reactions: tangent
Got me thinking.
It has been a while since I went to a drive-in theater. That may come back post CV19!
Has anyone done one in a tesla?

Tesla builds the world's MOST PERFECT drive-in movie car ever! Just put it in camp mode, sit back, relax and enjoy the movie!

We went to one Thursday night ... it was spectacular. Can't wait to do it again.

IMG_5537.jpeg

Tesla builds the world's MOST PERFECT drive-in movie car ever! Just put it in camp mode, sit back, relax and enjoy the movie!

We went to one Thursday night ... it was spectacular. Can't wait to do it again.

Or just drive up and park at a hill and watch Netflix on your screen... the "chill" part is optional... ;)

Back on topic, the only movie theaters that are opened around here are the drive-in theaters.

Reactions: dmurphy
Hakuna matata!

Nothing to be concerned with! Every single Model 3 & Y has FM radio. No matter what computer’s installed.

All new Model S & X’s also have FM radios. The only ones that do not anymore are a very small, specific set of original cars that have had their display computer (MCU) upgraded.

Now, all that said ... even with that, no worries! Plug one of these into the headphone jack on a small transistor radio, and you can transmit it via Bluetooth to your car: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0829S6K1X/

... and even more interesting, our closest drive-in theater has now started using an app called ListenEverywhere that streams the movie audio to your phone. Same thing - just use Bluetooth to the car.

Plenty of ways to listen in - but have no fear, any and all Model 3s & Ys will have an FM radio for you.
“Hakuna matata!”...
Reminds me of Matthew Broderick which reminds me of “War Games” which reminds me of the line... “Hell, I’d piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help”.

Disclaimer: Prior statement above most likely will not aid in acquiring AM radio in OP’s car.

We went there twice with our kids the past couple of weeks, they have a blast! I also have fun watching Audi, Mercedes and Landrover owners struggling to turn off their cars' headlights and interior lights.

Camp mode is a great idea, I am going to give that a try next time!

In case you are in DC/MD/VA area, The Family Drive-in (VA) and Bengies (MD) are open, and I hope other areas would follow soon.

Hakuna matata!

Does this adapter actually work with Teslas? I thought only a phone could transmit bluetooth to Telsas