Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recell: certified replacement battery packs for low-range/bricked Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to hear that story. How old are we talking about?
Comment (from BMS_U029 Facebook Group) from former Tesla technician now operating an independent repair shop in Vancouver, Canada (Factor E) Screenshot_20240305_182000_Facebook.jpg

Disseminating inaccurate facts is inappropriate.
Disseminating inaccurate allegations of disseminating inaccurate facts is also inappropriate.

See me posts #80 and #81 for my sources. Prove me wrong. Specifically former Tesla Techs comment in my post #81. Show me your proof these comments (which pertain to older 2015 Model S's) in post #81 are not true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Disseminating inaccurate allegations of disseminating inaccurate facts is also inappropriate.

See me posts #80 and #81 for my sources. Prove me wrong. Specifically former Tesla Techs comment in my post #81. Show me your proof these comments (which pertain to older 2015 Model S's) in post #81 are not true.

Nowadays, it is quite common for individuals to come across claims on the Internet and subsequently share it by stating, "I've been informed that Tesla is no longer producing older model Tesla BMS boards and they are currently scarce within the company".

What does it mean, i.e. if the BMS fails and no used BMS can be found, the car has to be junked or is there other ways to go around that issue?
It means the Tesla will have problems refurbishing packs that have the BMS go bad, and that will reduce the number of refurb packs they have available for warranty replacements. They might have to resort to replacing bad packs with more modern versions of their battery packs.

I suppose it could also hinder Tesla's ability to recycle these packs for industrial applications, although it's possible that they could do that some other way.

This could also trickle down to third party repair shops if good BMS boards become scarce. Once again, the only recourse might be replacing the bad pack with a newer battery pack, leaving a surplus of bad packs that need BMS boards.

Of course, it's an ill wind indeed that blows nobody good. Someone who has one of these packs go out for any other reason, so that they have a good BMS, might find third party repair cheap and easy.

I'm sure something got lost in translation here but i'm pretty positive Tesla will just make new BMS pcbs backward compatible to whatever is needed or just update firmware/software to accept new ones.
Parts discontinuation happens in corporate businesses all the time n they just adopt to new parts...

Reactions: hydro
I'm sure something got lost in translation here but i'm pretty positive Tesla will just make new BMS pcbs backward compatible to whatever is needed or just update firmware/software to accept new ones.
Parts discontinuation happens in corporate businesses all the time n they just adopt to new parts...
Thanks for the important clarification. Have a great day

Several Tesla owners are now reporting that Tesla is offering them a LFP battery pack instead when getting a battery replacement under warranty.

It appears to be primarily due to Tesla not having enough parts for the old battery pack with nickel-based cells and similar energy capacity. Therefore, it makes for them to start offering the newer pack.

However, the LFP pack is heavier and Tesla owners have to agree for the automaker to also upgrade their suspension:

Reactions: brainhouston
Technically Tesla could offer LFP (lower range) to any 3/Y out of warranty cars as a cheaper replacement cause the pack will physically fit
Tesla will have to modify software to support it
But i doubt they will ever develop LFP solution for legacy S/X cause it will require either cell or pack redesign n they already moved on to diff packs with refresh models...