Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recell: certified replacement battery packs for low-range/bricked Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be of interest to folks facing the prospect of a battery pack replacement

Last edited:
As a follow up to this, I did send my 2013 85 S to Recell, and I must say I'm delighted. They dropped the battery, replaced the faulty module as well as the main fuse and contactors, found and fixed an issue with the battery management board on a different module, balanced it all up and thoroughly tested it. They didn't charge (forgive the pun) any extra for the additional problem they found. Communication was outstanding, I've never had anything like it before. including a two year warranty, the cost was about $7.5k. It's a shame that they are so far from me (they are in San Antonio, I'm in Seattle) so shipping costs added up but Id HIGHLY recommend them!
Can you please share how much it costs to ship your S to San Antonio and back to Seattle?

A quick update on shipping, as we recently revised our pack offerings and now include both installation and shipping in the price of our RC+ line of remanufactured battery packs.

In the event return shipping is needed, the cost generally ranges from $495 to around $1395 (in the case of Seattle and Boston). We never apply any markup on shipping - everything is a direct pass through - and we work with a number of of shippers to ensure the lowest possible price available.

We hope to reduce shipping costs even further in the months ahead as we build out strategic partnerships with existing service centers in California, New England, Florida and the Pacific Northwest - with the ultimate goal of reducing our existing 1800 mile service radius to 250 miles or less.

We’ll have more on this in the weeks ahead.

Last edited:
After a "Maximum Battery Reduced" BMS_029 error on my 2014 85, I was quoted $16K+ by a Tesla Service Center to replace the battery pack. I chose the Re-Cell 210+ option instead--that saved me about $9K. I could not be happier with their service. Everything that promised was delivered in full. The service team kept me updated throughout the service, from transport down to San Antonio, TX to my fly-and-drive weekend pickup. Full five star recommendation for Re-Cell!

A quick update on shipping, as we recently revised our pack offerings and now include both installation and shipping in the price of our RC+ line of remanufactured battery packs.

In the event return shipping is needed, the cost generally ranges from $495 to around $1395 (in the case of Seattle and Boston). We never apply any markup on shipping - everything is a direct pass through - and we work with a number of of shippers to ensure the lowest possible price available.

We hope to reduce shipping costs even further in the months ahead as we build out strategic partnerships with existing service centers in California, New England, Florida and the Pacific Northwest - with the ultimate goal of reducing our existing 1800 mile service radius to 250 miles or less.

We’ll have more on this in the weeks ahead.
wow...so if the 75d battery fails on our car recell can supply similar size?
That is correct. They offer the product based on range:210+ miles for the ReCell product I chose. Slightly less than the pre-failure range of 237 miles, but no real world difference in charging stops for the occasional road trip. Im using the car as my daily commuter and the 4 year 50K warranty is the same as what the Tesla SC Warranty, same peace of mind.

• Informative
Reactions: maximizese
After a "Maximum Battery Reduced" BMS_029 error on my 2014 85, I was quoted $16K+ by a Tesla Service Center to replace the battery pack. I chose the Re-Cell 210+ option instead--that saved me about $9K. I could not be happier with their service. Everything that promised was delivered in full. The service team kept me updated throughout the service, from transport down to San Antonio, TX to my fly-and-drive weekend pickup. Full five star recommendation for Re-Cell!
What battery pack did you go with? What kind of range are you getting from the replacement? I'm looking to send my car to them but still trying to decide what pack to go with.

What battery pack did you go with? What kind of range are you getting from the replacement? I'm looking to send my car to them but still trying to decide what pack to go with.
Went with the R/C 210+, with a rated range of 212. I thought about the trips/how I would use my model s: Visiting my daughter at college, family vists in Ohio, daily work commute, etc. The charge stops and timing for my R/C 210+ choice were the same when compared to the next higher range product @ 240. The car is my daily commuter and I dont want to drive another car, love driving my model s.

I'd like to hear from someone who had free supercharging and then had the battery replaced - not by Tesla.
  1. Do you still have free supercharging after replacing the battery at a third party?
  2. I've seen other threads about this topic, but the responses are all from people who had the battery replaced by Tesla and yes, they still had free supercharging after.
  3. Some responses mention that the free supercharging feature follows the VIN and not the battery.

Reactions: EstebanP212
…Do you still have free supercharging after replacing the battery at a third party?…
Pretty sure the answer will be yes for some time.

I think in five years you’ll still be able to upgrade a 75kWh by a third party to 100kWh and keep FUSC.

But in ten years will you be able to upgrade to a third party 200kWh battery and keep FUSC? Maybe. Maybe they’ll be so few left, relative to the rest of Tesla’s business, maybe they won’t care.

Pretty sure the answer will be yes for some time.

I think in five years you’ll still be able to upgrade a 75kWh by a third party to 100kWh and keep FUSC.

But in ten years will you be able to upgrade to a third party 200kWh battery and keep FUSC? Maybe. Maybe they’ll be so few left, relative to the rest of Tesla’s business, maybe they won’t care.
i would love to upgrade my 75d 2017 batter to a 200kwh battery when it craps out

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
I'd like to hear from someone who had free supercharging and then had the battery replaced - not by Tesla.
  1. Do you still have free supercharging after replacing the battery at a third party?
  2. I've seen other threads about this topic, but the responses are all from people who had the battery replaced by Tesla and yes, they still had free supercharging after.
  3. Some responses mention that the free supercharging feature follows the VIN and not the battery.
Still had it. It's tied to the vin, not the battery.

@Travisj would you mind giving us a one year update?

I wrote this in a different thread but I saw this and thought I would share it here too. I also will share this thread with Recell to see if they might join and answer any more questions.
I had an amazing experience with them they, were faster than they said they would be (7-10) days they answered every question I asked, usually within a couple hours. They also would send regular updates on the progress and told me what was actually wrong with the battery. They helped find the cheapest shipping back to me. I have only had it back since Saturday, everything is working perfectly so far and would recommend them to anyone that can't afford the 20000 for a new battery.

Reactions: halo10v2
I just found this, I’m told I needed a new DU and battery pack at $28,530.13. I could not conceive how I’d be able to pay for that and why Tesla would not work a deal since the car has only 89,000 miles and is 11 months out of warranty. A lot of bad publicity from me at this point forward. Tesla has a great car but for a product that is supposed to be solid and last 300-500k miles. You’d think they ed have better options when you have basically a lemon.

Thanks for sharing, this is my first glimmer of hope that I’ll have a cat again instead of a 35k lawn ornament!
My 2014 Model S 85 - 1st battery pack dead after 4.5 years & 60K miles
Tesla installed refurbished battery pack
4.5 years later & 35K miles --- battery pack dead again????

Is it the battery pack or an underlying issue killing the packs so quickly?
Tesla will not respond

My 2014 Model S 85 - 1st battery pack dead after 4.5 years & 60K miles
Tesla installed refurbished battery pack
4.5 years later & 35K miles --- battery pack dead again????

Is it the battery pack or an underlying issue killing the packs so quickly?
Tesla will not respond
There is conjecture that Tesla's 400v, 16 module reman 85 kWh packs have failed because they are ones that Tesla did a module replacement on in their reman process to stay at 400v, 16 modules.

Thought being is that module swap is difficult to match with the other good modules and a temp 1-3 year fix.

I've heard latest Tesla remans are now 350v, 14 modules (not confirmed). If so, then it appears Tesla now has abondoned keeping 16 modules by swapping failed modules.

Now I suppose 400v, 16 module Tesla reman packs are still viable if Tesla determines the original 16 modules pass muster and only, say, a BMS board has to be replaced.

But then, I've heard that at Tesla no longer makes older model Tesla BMS boards and are in short supply in house. That's another story.

Last edited: