Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent 3G radio problems, fixed in firmware 8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since around 10 days ago I started experiencing problems with my 3G radio. Every 10 minutes or so it completely drops the signal (no bars and no 3G icon). This is on my typical commute that I've been driving for more than a year without this problem.

I called Tesla to report it and get them to look at my logs. I figured that I probably had a faulty radio. Instead they called me back and said it was a memory leak problem (their words) with the firmware I have. I'm currently running 7.1 (2.24.86), which was installed by the service center recently. They told me this is a known issue affecting others and it is scheduled to be fixed in 8.0 and that I need to wait for that. I find this so odd it's almost as though it wasn't really from Tesla (but it was). When I challenged them on this, they held their position and told me that sometimes this issue is helped by loading a complex Web page or moving to satellite view in the maps app. Apparently they say that this causes the memory to be cleared for a time, thus reducing the frequency of the problem.

Have any of you experienced this issue? Do you have any thoughts on this strange recommendation to wait for 8.0?

PS if they really are improving the reliability of the main console in 8.0 that'll be very welcomed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pluto and Jgdixon
I've noticed that when I pull out of my garage and lose WiFi, it takes a while before the car will re-acquire the 3G connection. I don't recall when this started to be a problem, I had assumed AT&T was having problems in our area - but if others are also seeing this, then a software update might have degraded 3G reliability.