Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent accident - Insurance will not cover PPF (custom parts)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to share my experience here and maybe find some additional advice regarding negotiations with my insurance (Progressive).

Recently was in an accident on 9/26/20 (USA, Minnesota) and I'm 99% not at fault based off Tesla cam evidence. The other driver drove straight during a bend in the road and into my front driver side headlight corner area. Both cars are a total loss. It seems my insurance and the other party's insurance are are still resolving some things as they have not yet accepted liability or something.

I've been going through my claims agent reviewing the vehicle valuation for my Tesla Model 3 and they are refusing to consider the PPF and window tinting modifications (both done at the same shop) to my Tesla Model 3 as added value for the final payout.

If anybody is familiar with Progressive policies, I had included the PPF and windows tint modifications value in my "custom parts" portion of my policy, a total of $4350. In the policy, Custom Parts is a single line item and it doesn't ask for specific information like a description other than saying "custom parts" and it increased the premium by $88 per 6 months. My adjuster claims that this would be covered if the vehicle was being repaired only and is not considered in the event of a total loss as it is not considered as added value to the actual value of the vehicle for the final payout.

This is a copy/paste from their website regarding custom parts coverage:
"Custom parts and equipment (CPE) coverage will repair or replace items that you add on to your car, like a stereo, navigation system, custom wheels, or even a paint job. If it wasn't installed by the original manufacturer, then it's considered an after-market accessory that you'll want to insure.

Example: You put custom tires and rims on your car. CPE coverage will typically insure them up to a $5,000 limit."

Has anybody experienced similar, whether with the same or other insurance providers? Am I out of luck? Is the "Custom Parts" coverage a waste of money? Thoughts?

InkedIMG_0373 - Copy_block.jpg

first off - sorry about your accident

secondly - get yourself a lawyer! you shouldn't take 0.00000001% of blame. not sure exactly what happened, but if the insurance companies negotiated to 99/1% then im almost positive it was the other driver's fault.

insurance companies are NOT on your side - they are here to resolve this as quickly as possible while paying out the least amount possible.

my wife was recently involved in an accident where the road raged freak jumped out of his car to attack another driver and his car rolled downhill and hit her car. no insurance company was called - only a call to our lawyer who got the driver to assume 100% responsibility (he really tried to fight it), got us a rental car, and got her car fixed at body shop of our choice with OEM parts.

my parents were in a similar accident to yours - once again the insurance company wanted the blame 75/25 but i told my parents to get a lawyer. it does take time as the other driver's insurance will not want to take full blame, but my parents car was fixed and they were given a loaner. eventually it was resolved and the other driver was 100% at fault.

in your situation - the lawyer will fight for the tint and upgrade that progressive won't pay a penny for.

they key is no out of pocket in either situation - the lawyer will take their cut from the other person's insurance company - the lawyer should take care of all the car loaner/body shop arrangements for you. and the main thing is no increase in premiums for you!

good luck!

Reactions: lUtriaNt
...would be covered if the vehicle was being repaired only and is not considered in the event of a total loss as it is not considered as added value to the actual value of the vehicle for the final payout.

First of all, ouch, and I'm glad you're OK.
Second, I don't understand what your coverage has to do with this? If the other driver is at fault, then it is their insurance that is paying, right?
Third, if this was covered under your policy, and they "only pay out for repairs" then that sounds like BS.

Reactions: zecar
if the insurance companies negotiated to 99/1% then im almost positive it was the other driver's fault.

insurance companies are NOT on your side - they are here to resolve this as quickly as possible while paying out the least amount possible.

The 99% part is more so my opinion from the video I have.

Yeah, I get that insurance companies aren't really on your side, I also hear folks say their obligated to make you whole (I think it was mentioned from browsing some older threads in this forum).

I'll look into lawyering up. Thanks!

First of all, ouch, and I'm glad you're OK.
Second, I don't understand what your coverage has to do with this? If the other driver is at fault, then it is their insurance that is paying, right?
Third, if this was covered under your policy, and they "only pay out for repairs" then that sounds like BS.

This is my first major accident, so I'm not 100% familiar with how things go but I do have full coverage. From what I've gathered so far, my insurance will do what they can to get me back on the road and stuff since I have full coverage, then they will go after the other insurance or something. My guess is they are also probably trying to make the most money by paying me as little as they can get away with and squeezing the other insurance for every penny. My understanding is that I don't need to involve myself with the other party's insurance since my insurance is doing that, but maybe I got it all wrong? My experience with dealing with a major accident and insurance is already miserable.

The "only pay out for repairs" part is only in regards to the custom parts I mentioned. They are still paying out for my totaled Model 3, including EAP and Full Self Driving. I did have to fight for the full self driving, since I purchased the upgrade a year later in 2019 before Tesla said they were changing the price - initially my insurance said it didn't count, but after some back and forth, said it does count. EAP was original and part of delivery, so that wasn't an issue.

You're insurance doesn't have to make you whole, they just have to live up to the terms of their agreement with you. The at-fault party has to make you whole. (You don't have a contract with them limiting their liability.) That is why I always prefer to work with the at-fault company directly and don't involve my insurance company unless I have to. (I see no point in making my insurance company spend money on the claim unless it is necessary, it helps keep their costs, and my policy prices, down.)

Like others have said here, your coverage doesn’t come into play in this situation.

The at-fault party must make you whole (not even their insurance company, the actual driver). THEY have insurance to protect themselves from financial ruin, but it is ultimately the responsibility of the driver. If they didn’t have insurance or didn’t have enough, that is when your coverage comes into play (as long as you have UMUIM coverage). In that case, your insurance will pay and go after the driver to subrogate.

this is one of the cases where you want to use the other insurance company and keep your out of it if you can.

Reactions: CyberGus
I’ll second what many others have already said, and give you the reason why you don’t want to involve your insurance company: all insurance companies are in it for themselves and not you. It is easier for any insurance company to quickly agree with the other, at-fault driver’s, insurance company that “each side will take care of their own.” No fighting, no time wasted ... and, what’s this? each insurance company gets to jack its insured’s rates? Everybody wins except the not-at-fault driver.

If you let your insurance company pay for your damages, then not only are you out your deductible, you have also signed away control to them over whether they can screw you by agreeing to let “each side take care of their own.”

Do not let your insurance company pay for your damages; go after the at-fault driver.

Good luck and be glad that no one was hurt.