TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recent California Deliveries--How long for plates?

Discussion in 'California' started by GasDoc, Feb 8, 2013.

1. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

California Residents--How much time elapsed between your vehicle pickup/delivery and receiving your plates in the mail?

I'm asking because my personalized plates are sitting at the DMV but I don't think I can pick them up unless I turn in the set that is going to be issued with the initial auto registration.

2. vcor

vcor Member

Got the car on Jan-18, Plates arrived today, Feb-8 (so 21 days). The plates are actually shipped from Tesla (Palo Alto headquarters), which I didn't expect. I guess they get them from the DMV.

3. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Just got my car 3 days ago. Do I have to do anything to get my plates?

4. SUN-day Driver

I ordered a plate (so my idea wouldn't get taken by someone else) many months before delivery is due, so I was in the same boat. If you go to DMV and say you don't have the car (or plates) yet, you can arrange for them to hold your new plates until you are ready to turn in existing plates. At least that's how it was for me at DMV in San Diego.

5. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

I think it took about 3 weeks for our plates to arrive. One evening I found a fed ex package at our front door and found plates. I am still waiting for the HOV stickers, but I have not needed them lately. We received our California rebate today--I mailed it in on December 31

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

7. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Update. Received my plates via FedEx from Tesla yesterday. Only 8 days after factory pickup.

Have to stand in line at the DMV to swap for my vanity plates. Or wait until 2/28 for my appointment

8. gg_got_a_tesla

Go for it , GasDoc! I stood out in line at Fremont DMV for 20 minutes, then, waited inside (seated) for another 20 min after I got the token number. Couldn't wait till 2/21 for the appt.

9. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I'm off on Tuesday so maybe I'll go to the DMV first thing in the morning.

Then I'll have to consider the whole front plate issue...

10. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

Waiting for my plates. Got the car last Sunday. I can't get the HOV sticker nor the California rebate without it - right?

11. gg_got_a_tesla

You'll have to wait for the plates to apply for the HOV decals.

But, the temporary registration's good enough to apply for the CVRP rebate; don't wait on that one as it's going fast!

http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/self-generation-incentive-program/sgip-documents/doc_download/534-cvrp-applicant-requirements-a-qualifying-vehicle-information

12. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

13. Doug Martoccia

Can someone in California post a picture of the front of the Telsa with the plates attached? I'm curious what it looks like.

14. gg_got_a_tesla

Not a closeup (can take one tomorrow) but, here's one with the Lake Tahoe plates:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361173152.311903.jpg

15. mbcaffe

mbcaffe Member

I actually received my pink slip a few days before the plates. the pink slip has the license plate number. Took delivery 1/13 received pink slip 2/7

16. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I received my plates and reg today - 2/20. I got my car on 2/10, so 10 days. Just applied for the HOV lane stickers. The $2500 rebate has been reserved for me, but I am waiting for Tesla to send the complete signed purchase agreement to submit the final paperwork for the rebate. Thanks to all for the help.

17. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

Took delivery 2/13, plates and registration arrived 2/20.

18. tenstringer009

Just curious, has anyone gotten plates starting with a 7 yet? I feel like they should be getting pretty close...

19. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

Mine is 6WZ - so there is a little way to go. My 2007 Lexus LS460L was 6AG (from fall of 2007) so it looks like about 6 years to go through the 6's.

20. markb1

markb1 Active Member

6WZ here, too. Received it on Friday from Tesla via FedEx, exactly two weeks after factory delivery. Received the title in the mail yesterday, 2/19.