Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent fire another reason all controls on screen are a bad idea!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>>Though FSD is certainly MIA atm, Tesla has never claimed it was L5, so saying its a fraud because it isnt L5 is silly.<<

Although I’d agree it’s not fraud in the criminal sense, Tesla has constantly used the phrase FSD with the word “robotaxi” as if they are synonymous.
l fail to see how a robotaxi could be other than level 5, so it makes sense to conflate FSD with 5!

Robotaxis are most certainly not required to be level 5. Waymo, Cruise, others are all L4 robotaxis. L4 means no human driver is involved, but there are some restrictions on operational domain (location, weather, etc). L5 is vaguely defined and it is questionable if it’s even desirable to satisfy the commonly interpreted definition (drives anywhere, and in any conditions, where a human can/would) - as humans often drive in conditions where they should not.

Reactions: WhiteWi
The DeLorean occasionally would trap its occupants. The door locks were powered not by motors but solenoids, and the inductive kick would cause a spark across the gap of the relay contacts, which on rare occasions would weld them shut. With the solenoids fully energized, it was impossible to unlock the doors until the battery died (or you could unplug the module if you knew where to look). I don't know of anyone that was injured or died as a result.

Since it's a known problem, owners have the problematic module unplugged, or replaced with a modern sold-state replacement, so feel free to take a ride if offered. ;-)

The DeLorean occasionally would trap its occupants. The door locks were powered not by motors but solenoids, and the inductive kick would cause a spark across the gap of the relay contacts, which on rare occasions would weld them shut. With the solenoids fully energized, it was impossible to unlock the doors until the battery died (or you could unplug the module if you knew where to look). I don't know of anyone that was injured or died as a result.

Since it's a known problem, owners have the problematic module unplugged, or replaced with a modern sold-state replacement, so feel free to take a ride if offered. ;-)
OT but since you mentioned the DeLorean, the door and window design meant entrapment if the car rolled over and stayed on its roof as well. So if taking that ride, bring a window hammer. :)

I dislike their use of the name “FSD”, but it was never ever defined as “level 5”. Presumably it was/is meant to achieve at least L3 or probably L4, though.

Today it is of course L2. Even the “FSD Beta” stuff is, for the moment, L2.

They certainly have the intent, and belief, that they can deliver an L3+ mode, so I don’t think “fraud” is an appropriate word. However, I do think they owe something to people who paid for the FSD upgrade, especially those who upgraded from EAP and received nothing for it before selling their cars.
Yes. Ok. lol.

As far as rear seat, having an emergency handle as well as child-proof rear doors is a bit of a challenge. Hiding the emergency handle between the seats on the floor is a non-intuitive safety feature. I'm not sure there is a good intuitive method of allowing rear passengers to open a child-proofed door while the car is rolling, in order to escape a fire.
(...)
I suppose having a red emergency handle with a glass window, like on transit might qualify. Children would hopefully know not to smash it and pull the handle while goofing around, but it can be used in an emergency if needed.

Reactions: TessP100D