Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coldfront taking over QC tonight and tomorrow. Just got 44.30 today purposely left my MY unplugged with 70% charge to coldsoak over night low of -19C. Will see if VCFRONT _a447 error rears its ugly head when I run a few local errands tomorrow morning skipping any pre-conditioning other than steering wheel and seat warmer. VCFRONT _a447 was quite unnerving on pre-christmas update firmware travelling far from home in New Brunswick just before Christmas as stated in a previous post in this thread.
No heatpump issues today with firmware 2021.44.30

Reactions: MP3Mike and Braumin
I've had the problem when the temperature went below -15 earlier today. I could hear the heat pump trying something, making loud creaky sounds, and eventually the sound stopped and the error message was displayed. I drove for a while without heat relying on my heated seat and steering wheel. After I stopped at a supercharging location the day was warmer and it started working again. This all happened on the old firmware. I've updated it since.

I've had the problem when the temperature went below -15 earlier today. I could hear the heat pump trying something, making loud creaky sounds, and eventually the sound stopped and the error message was displayed. I drove for a while without heat relying on my heated seat and steering wheel. After I stopped at a supercharging location the day was warmer and it started working again. This all happened on the old firmware. I've updated it since.
Thanks for the report. Hopefully the new firmware fixes things for you.

Went for a drive today and put the best on max. I found the car was heating good then started blowing cold air for a good 5 minutes before going back to pumping hot air. It’s my first winter with it and the temp is -15. Does it normally cycle like this?

I got 2021.44.30 yesterday.

I'm headed up to Collingwood area on Thursday for skiing, and it looks like a very cold weekend is coming up. I've got a 240v/24a charger at the chalet and will leave it plugged in and will precondition quite a bit before driving. Will post here if anything happens.

Reactions: Braumin
Hi all, I'm in the UK and someone from the other forums mentioned this thread. I've had similar problems.

Picked the car up mid Dec. A week later we had our first trip, in freezing fog (about 1Deg C outside). Got about 100 miles into the trip and all was fine, we charged and set off only for the climate control completely die on us. We stopped, rebooted and no change. So we ended up driving for 70miles in outside cold temps blowing in the car....not fun at all.

We stop, do the service request etc. I go back to the car later in the day, check it, and its working again. I leave for the ranger to come the next morning, he comes over, says there are no errors and that its working fine. Either way I book it in for Jan 10 for replacement of pressure sensors or something.

I've not had the problem since, but have noticed with climate control on it blows hot, then suddenly has the odd minute of colder air, then back to hot. Its like its trying too hard to heat up, then realises the temp is too high in the cabin, so blows cold.

Either way, the problem hasn't come back since so I delayed the service appointment to Feb. Have to see what happens.

'21 Model Y just received the VCFRONT_a447 error this morning on my way to work. Weather temperatures dropped from a high of 40'F yesterday to a cozy 16'F today. Installed software update one day or so ago. Going to be difficult to keep this vehicle where I'm at if the climate control failures continue.

'21 Model Y just received the VCFRONT_a447 error this morning on my way to work. Weather temperatures dropped from a high of 40'F yesterday to a cozy 16'F today. Installed software update one day or so ago. Going to be difficult to keep this vehicle where I'm at if the climate control failures continue.
Oh dear. By "software update", I assume you mean 2021.44.30?

perform a full power down and up when home.

Having the same problem with my new model 3, I have found doing a hard reboot has help to restore the system. Also requires many bouts of pre conditioning through out the day if you are parked somewhere cold. Pre conditioning drops the battery at least 5 percent for 30 minutes and if you are on the mobile charger at the end of the day you will likely be at a net loss of range. Hope someone can confirm if 44.30 fixes this issue!
Having the same problem with my new model 3, I have found doing a hard reboot has help to restore the system. Also requires many bouts of pre conditioning through out the day if you are parked somewhere cold. Pre conditioning drops the battery at least 5 percent for 30 minutes and if you are on the mobile charger at the end of the day you will likely be at a net loss of range. Hope someone can confirm if 44.30 fixes this issue!
I am a fellow Winnipeger 2021 m3 with 44.30 update and yesterday -25c no heat. Got appointment for jan. 21 ugh Tesla has paid to rent me a gas car. This has been a problem since heat pump came out not acceptable imo.And also a safety issue in this part of the world.

I am a fellow Winnipeger 2021 m3 with 44.30 update and yesterday -25c no heat. Got appointment for jan. 21 ugh Tesla has paid to rent me a gas car. This has been a problem since heat pump came out not acceptable imo.And also a safety issue in this part of the world.
I am not kidding here so please take this seriously. If you have lost heat that is a major safety issue with the car and it should be reported to Transport Canada. You can do an online submission here:

(took a while to find that link it was well hidden)

Even if Tesla fixes this, it should still be reported so they can track how much this is happening. This is a very serious issue when it's -20 and below for obvious reasons - you can lose visibility, get frostbite, etc.

So far my M3 has been OK. It was -34 yesterday but I have not had to go anywhere where I wasn't able to pre-heat, but for those that have had this issue please please please do the online form.

• Informative
Reactions: BR666T
Justus, i just experienced this error yesterday here in Winnipeg too for the first time and i'm on 44.30 as well with my 2021 m3. I managed to get an appointment for 12 Jan.

Last edited:
It would appear that adding the heat pumps to the car was a mistake by Tesla.
My 20 M3 has had no problems at all keeping warm in -20 Ottawa winters over 2 winters.
I feel for folks that are having these persistent issues.
This is why the failures need to be reported to Transport Canada. This needs to get sorted and not just with random warranty claims.

I had this happen to my Y this last week on a road trip. Tesla offered to put it on a flatbed to the nearest service center but that would have been inconvenient to be without transportation on my trip. Instead, I told them I'd stop at the Boise ID service center on my way back. When I got there Tuesday morning, I mentioned the software update and they said they were aware of a couple of different heating issues, but none were fixed with a firmware. I'm running FSD Beta so the latest 2021.44.30 is not applicable to me. They tested the coolant level and found it a little low (but not enough to matter). They flushed and refilled it but it still failed the diagnostics (but was a little warmer). I couldn't stay much longer (I had been there 4 hours) and had to get on the road back to Seattle. The car stayed warm enough to make it. I dropped it off at the Bellevue service center yesterday and have yet to hear back about the root cause.

TLDR: There are multiple issues at play and some may be hardware related such as the super manifold or octo valve replacement.