Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Y has been in service for a week now for the same VCFront_a447 error and they can't figure out what's wrong with it. It spent a day with the Boise service center to try and get a quick fix during our road trip back to Seattle and now that we are home, the Bellevue service center has had it for a week with no idea what's wrong. They say they have a ticket open with the field reps for help. I'm still on 2021.44.25.6 but have 2021.44.30.5 ready to install (appeared while in service). If it was a software issue, they would have pushed the fix and been done with it.
Please keep us posted on how it goes. We have the same issue with our MY. The error happened right after the car was picked up after a windshield replacement from Tesla SC. I noticed that they had replaced some sensors while the car was in for the windshield replacement. They want us to drop the car overnight for diagnosing and expects the repair to take 3-4 days to complete. Currently have a mobile service appointment scheduled for next week.

On here Finland they started insulating those pipes which are under car. There is plastic cover where is some pipes which are now more insulated, hopefully.

Details from service ticket
Insulate low pressure pipe from supermanifold to compressor.

And
Install supermanifold to compressor pipe insulation foam and harness connector cover

Also this fluid what Tesla is using r1234yf is not really made under -20C usage.

Problem is also mechanical and hopefully Tesla fix it. Also make recall. If not then it’s time for lawyer.

Other manufacturers who have also heatpump kept heating element but Tesla removed that.

I think those test on Alaska never done correctly or Tesla ingnored this problem.

I may be totally wrong but my consumption has increased since the 2021.44.30 update for similar conditions to experiencing VCFront_a447 error on pre-V11 firmware update. Going up on a limb to think Tesla lowered the temperature threshold for PTC loop assistance and takeover from heat pump full functionality. I am hoping it is just a stop gap measure in current firmware. 350+ w/km going 70 kph is crazy. with 2/3 (66%) charge I was given a range of less than 140 km. WTF. My SR+ at the same speed and outside temp with good old PTC heater would out range my Model Y.

I may be totally wrong but my consumption has increased since the 2021.44.30 update for similar conditions to experiencing VCFront_a447 error on pre-V11 firmware update. Going up on a limb to think Tesla lowered the temperature threshold for PTC loop assistance and takeover from heat pump full functionality. I am hoping it is just a stop gap measure in current firmware. 350+ w/km going 70 kph is crazy. with 2/3 (66%) charge I was given a range of less than 140 km. WTF. My SR+ at the same speed and outside temp with good old PTC heater would out range my Model Y.
You are correct. They are now fixing this problem to heating more battery etc. That cause more consumption. With this they try to keep car unfrozen/pump/liquid.

From Twitter,

"Just got some really encouraging news, and context re. Climate system from our amazing tech at Tesla Saskatoon, as we dropped off our 2022 Model 3 this AM. I wanted to share to help others: Tesla is taking this cold weather climate problem very seriously - they’re very worried about the safety of drivers and have definitely prioritized this issue. The tech is on a group chat with engineers in Fremont and Alaska, and has been working directly with them over the past few weeks to figure this out. They’re all working together, and when necessary some parts from cars, including Mark Kroeker’s, are being overnight shipped to California for them to figure out what going on.I also am encouraged to hear why a software update is going to make a really big impact immediately for all Y/3 owners (and the update is in progress now, ETA unknown but asap):

1) The heat pump system actually has the ability to work really well, even in temps colder than -30C, because there are two loops that use compression and expansion of the refrigerant (going from liquid to gas to liquid) and those loops can produce heat, even in the extreme cold. The Alaska team has been testing this in super cold, and it does work well. So fundamentally the heat pump can and will work in our climates.

2) One of the observed causes of a climate failure that has been diagnosed is the front air intake flap freezing open, and blasting cold air into the system when driving on the highway, which is preventing the heat pump system ability to work correctly. The cold air passes by a sensor, and tells the climate system it’s failing, and then you get the famous error, and the compressor just stops. One of the things they're potentially going to do with software as a quick win is allow the compressor/system to keep working, even if the flap is not functioning properly. And of course they’re trying to figure out how to prevent this in the first place. Of note, the Tech recommended ensuring the black grill on the front of your car is clean and clear, as snow/ice build up there can cause the flap to not open/close properly. "

The front lower air louvers freezing open makes some sense to me know. My car was exposed to wet slush snow in -2C around Gaspe tour then 30 CM snow overnight then at -17 C with 80-100 km head wind gust leaving New Brunswick I had a thick heavy crust of ice and snow on my hatch. Never looked in front down low but pretty sure it was as bad there too. When I returned home it has been kept clean so no recurrence of VCFront_a447 error. Still not liking the firmware sucking my range down like tequila shots oceanside.

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
You are correct. They are now fixing this problem to heating more battery etc. That cause more consumption. With this they try to keep car unfrozen/pump/liquid.

I'm having this HVAC problem too and had observed really high consumption yesterday while idling with HVAC on. The state of charge decreased by 6% in 29 minutes. This seemed a little abnormal, but at this stage I'd rather that than my current situation which is no HVAC heat at all at -19ºC.

I'm having this HVAC problem too and had observed really high consumption yesterday while idling with HVAC on. The state of charge decreased by 6% in 29 minutes. This seemed a little abnormal, but at this stage I'd rather that than my current situation which is no HVAC heat at all at -19ºC.
This is bad if they fix it using more ”heating” even there is error on system side. But let see.

44.30.2 is already old fix. Not anymore latest, so I would not see any fix/help on there.

From Twitter,

"Just got some really encouraging news, and context re. Climate system from our amazing tech at Tesla Saskatoon, as we dropped off our 2022 Model 3 this AM. I wanted to share to help others: Tesla is taking this cold weather climate problem very seriously - they’re very worried about the safety of drivers and have definitely prioritized this issue. The tech is on a group chat with engineers in Fremont and Alaska, and has been working directly with them over the past few weeks to figure this out. They’re all working together, and when necessary some parts from cars, including Mark Kroeker’s, are being overnight shipped to California for them to figure out what going on.I also am encouraged to hear why a software update is going to make a really big impact immediately for all Y/3 owners (and the update is in progress now, ETA unknown but asap):

1) The heat pump system actually has the ability to work really well, even in temps colder than -30C, because there are two loops that use compression and expansion of the refrigerant (going from liquid to gas to liquid) and those loops can produce heat, even in the extreme cold. The Alaska team has been testing this in super cold, and it does work well. So fundamentally the heat pump can and will work in our climates.

2) One of the observed causes of a climate failure that has been diagnosed is the front air intake flap freezing open, and blasting cold air into the system when driving on the highway, which is preventing the heat pump system ability to work correctly. The cold air passes by a sensor, and tells the climate system it’s failing, and then you get the famous error, and the compressor just stops. One of the things they're potentially going to do with software as a quick win is allow the compressor/system to keep working, even if the flap is not functioning properly. And of course they’re trying to figure out how to prevent this in the first place. Of note, the Tech recommended ensuring the black grill on the front of your car is clean and clear, as snow/ice build up there can cause the flap to not open/close properly. "
Wow Elon replied to those tweets sort of acknowledging the issue:
“Great explanation!”

Reactions: Ruffles
Similar to the diesels of yesteryear to keep the radiators and engine warm in cold winter days, I would not mind having a physical snap-to-grill cover that protect the louvers from snow and ice during cold winter days. Something that fits inside the hole, snaps to the grid and nearly noticeable... No more frozen louver...

I don't know why the press is still covering heat pump failure if it's been solved as of today 1/12/2022:

If it's not fixed, please fix yours before you run out of a 4-year warranty which could cost CA$5,665.81.

Photo credit: Electrek.co
269988192_10166092563380385_6324308542098961501_n.jpeg

I don't know why the press is still covering heat pump failure if it's been solved as of today 1/12/2022:

If it's not fixed, please fix yours before you run out of a 4-year warranty which could cost CA$5,665.81.

Photo credit: Electrek.co
269988192_10166092563380385_6324308542098961501_n.jpeg
this thread is about the heatpump, which your Model X or your 2018 model 3 do not have.

edit: i thought it was your invoice. i realize now it was images from that news article. there is a supposed software fix being deployed to internal testing cars. hopefully we'll see it live soon if it does fix it.

Last edited:
Similar to the diesels of yesteryear to keep the radiators and engine warm in cold winter days, I would not mind having a physical snap-to-grill cover that protect the louvers from snow and ice during cold winter days. Something that fits inside the hole, snaps to the grid and nearly noticeable... No more frozen louver...
Like this one but with more cover...
😂

Reactions: Neo1974