Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just adding an update to my data point. Certainly everyone's case is probably different and likely some hardware vs software issues. My vehicle is currently fixed on the 44.30.7 update (at least -5F/-20C today driving today). I sure hope I don't jinx it by posting this. 2022 Model Y that had the a447 error 4 times while on the 44.30 software.

I hope you all get yours fixed soon.

Ah, it was -18C this morning and its the first time i've felt my steering wheel vibrate, was a little suprised but figured it was the heat pump after turning down my music volume.

Either way, even at this temp I think the heat pump was pretty efficient.
I had a 50 km drive at speeds of 110-130 km/h and still managed 170 wh/km(270 wh/mile)

Just adding an update to my data point. Certainly everyone's case is probably different and likely some hardware vs software issues. My vehicle is currently fixed on the 44.30.7 update (at least -5F/-20C today driving today). I sure hope I don't jinx it by posting this. 2022 Model Y that had the a447 error 4 times while on the 44.30 software.
Both great things to hear!

So do I dare to drive to Collingwood tomorrow, or do I condemn myself to my wife's 2010 minivan? I'm on 30.7.
CleanShot 2022-01-20 at 14.47.00@2x.png

So do I dare to drive to Collingwood tomorrow, or do I condemn myself to my wife's 2010 minivan? I'm on 30.7.View attachment 757999
Based on your signature (Aug 2021 delivery) I'd say your heatpump/supermanifold will likely be fine. I've seen a few people with hardware faults in 2021, but it doesn't seem to be widespread. You have the latest firmware.

If it was me - it would not stop me. I'd want to find out ASAP if I have a problem so I can get it resolved. I wouldn't want to own a car where I was continuously wondering if was going to fail.

Ah, it was -18C this morning and its the first time i've felt my steering wheel vibrate, was a little suprised but figured it was the heat pump after turning down my music volume.

What do you mean by Vibrate? Does the steering wheel vibrate when it is cold out or all the time?
In all my years driving, never had a wheel vibrate unless there was a front end problem.

Based on your signature (Aug 2021 delivery) I'd say your heatpump/supermanifold will likely be fine. I've seen a few people with hardware faults in 2021, but it doesn't seem to be widespread. You have the latest firmware.

If it was me - it would not stop me. I'd want to find out ASAP if I have a problem so I can get it resolved. I wouldn't want to own a car where I was continuously wondering if was going to fail.

I will tell my wife these encouraging words if it goes off the rails. "Better to know, honey, than to be unaware!"

• Funny
Reactions: Tz00
I will tell my wife these encouraging words if it goes off the rails. "Better to know, honey, than to be unaware!"
Also - bring some blankets. Mine failed on a 14 hour roadtrip from Ottawa to New Brunswick and we had 3 hours of no heat at -14C outside. We had two blankets in the back (and I ended up buying two more at a truck stop). Since the issue happened I haven't had the problem again, but now I keep the blankets in the deep trunk of the MY....

At those temps it was uncomfortable in the car, but not dangerously so. I configured the HVAC to blow at the windshield with a medium setting on the fan and that was able to keep it defogged. If it had been snowing or freezing rain then it would have been a major problem to keep the windshield clear.

We timed our return trip based on the weather, but luckily we didn't have any issues on the return trip with either the weather or the heat.

What do you mean by Vibrate? Does the steering wheel vibrate when it is cold out or all the time?
In all my years driving, never had a wheel vibrate unless there was a front end problem.
I had like a 5 min stopover and when I got back in the car the heater kicked back in on high. I could feel the steering wheel lightly vibrating. I stopped noticing it maybe 30 secs later once I was back on the road.
I almost always preheat the car before I get in so I've probably never experienced the heat pump working hard.

• Informative
Reactions: Randy-12
I just installed 2021.44.30.11 on my non-heat pump Model 3. The notes for this update are linked below.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine

You might be right.

I just drove from Guelph to Craigeith. -24C at the start, consistent to about -21c until coming downhill to a balmy -12C.

The heat stayed fine the whole time. I preconditioned for about 30 minutes before departing in a garage. A good sign!

(I won't talk about battery efficiency though LOL!)

Car back from service centre. Replaced supermanifold and compressor and a selection of other parts. Heating working fine now, asked whether the replacement parts were redesigned but given response along the lines of that they are to an extent which doesn’t give much confidence that this won’t happen again.

Reactions: DrGriz