Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, problems on models without heat pumps?: Tesla Heat Issue Drags On: Now It's Model 3s With No Heat Pump

It's possible that it's a software/control system issue that is damaging the supermanifold, and that the part revisions have nothing to do with the software issues and only to do with supply chain issues. Otherwise, why would this be happening on models without heat pumps? In any case this doesn't say good things about Tesla's software quality control (but we already knew that they have issues with that).

I dropped off my car there this morning too at 8am and got a call this afternoon too that they’re replacing the compressor that failed, plus super manifold due to that and some lines. Hopefully they’ll get the parts in quick so I can return this ICE rental car
Yes got the same response. Mine is the black m3
I dropped off my car there this morning too at 8am and got a call this afternoon too that they’re replacing the compressor that failed, plus super manifold due to that and some lines. Hopefully they’ll get the parts in quick so I can return this ICE rental car
They told me the same thinh compressor and supermanifold. And waiting for parts. Mine is the Black M3 dropped it off yesterday. Hope this fix works!

For owners that have had hardware replaced (supermanifold and/or compressor), can you please let us know your build/delivery date? I'm wondering whether our Y might also have hardware issues. We have not had a heating problem since -22C weather, but temperature has been above -10C ever since. I don't want to find we still a have a problem next time it gets really cold. Tesla mobile service ran some diagnostics and said everything is fine but I'm skeptical.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
For owners that have had hardware replaced (supermanifold and/or compressor), can you please let us know your build/delivery date? I'm wondering whether our Y might also have hardware issues. We have not had a heating problem since -22C weather, but temperature has been above -10C ever since. I don't want to find we still a have a problem next time it gets really cold. Tesla mobile service ran some diagnostics and said everything is fine but I'm skeptical.
Sept 2021 build model 3 sr+. The compressor failed, so that’s getting replaced. Because it failed, they replace the supermanifold due to possible debris from the failed compressor. Plus some A/C lines. The remote diagnostics they did before, they thought it was just a frozen louvre. So chances are they can’t tell until it actually fails.

Reactions: Vawlkus
My Y has been in service for a week now for the same VCFront_a447 error and they can't figure out what's wrong with it. It spent a day with the Boise service center to try and get a quick fix during our road trip back to Seattle and now that we are home, the Bellevue service center has had it for a week with no idea what's wrong. They say they have a ticket open with the field reps for help. I'm still on 2021.44.25.6 but have 2021.44.30.5 ready to install (appeared while in service). If it was a software issue, they would have pushed the fix and been done with it.
I’m on 2021.44.30.7 and just got the vcfront a447 error. I can’t believe that I’d have to wait until feb 8 for a service job. I’m literally about to get this serviced and sell this piece of crap.

I’m on 2021.44.30.7 and just got the vcfront a447 error. I can’t believe that I’d have to wait until feb 8 for a service job. I’m literally about to get this serviced and sell this piece of crap.
Some SCs allow you to drop in the vehicle earlier than the appointment date if it is an urgent issue. I recommend contacting the local service center over the phone and talking to them.

My 2021 M3 sr+ build feb. 2021 is getting supermanifold and compressor replaced

Sept 2021 build model 3 sr+. The compressor failed, so that’s getting replaced. Because it failed, they replace the supermanifold due to possible debris from the failed compressor. Plus some A/C lines. The remote diagnostics they did before, they thought it was just a frozen louvre. So chances are they can’t tell until it actually fails.
I highly doubt the compressors are faulty; those have been in these cars since the beginning, for the air conditioning (non heat pump) system. Almost sounds like the louvre froze, which caused way too much cold air to go into the radiator, which in turn caused the compressor to get fed too much extremely cold glycol, perhaps to the point where the chiller got so cold, the refrigerant entered the compressor as a liquid instead of a gas, which in turn caused damage to the components.

Questions:
- Does anyone know whether, when the system wants to block the radiator path, is there a physical valve in the glycol system that closes off the radiator, or does it rely entirely on the louvre?

- Were there any heat pump failures reported last winter? I don't recall any, but the Model Y was released prior to last winter. Which suggests that there's at least a software component to the problem. Whether there's a hardware design flaw that allows faulty software to destroy the compressor is a question for the deisgn team.