Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal to hear that ticking sound with the heat on I get it all the time
No. Not normal. I have good ears. Only thing that may make noise besides the compressor and radiator fans is the mechanisms that open and close air ducts for the HVAC inside the dash. Even that isn't a ticking noise and this only occurs as the car is reconfiguring the air flow modes so definitely not persistent.

I got a text from SC to bring in the vehicle last Monday. They worked on it, got estimate from the app that supermanifold, heat pump and AC lines need to be replaced. Got the vehicle next day, sure enough, heat is back. Pre-conditioned worked this morning too. So far so good.

I asked SC rep for an explanation of the issue. Rep informed me that the old firmware is taking too much stress on the supermanifold and heatpump when climate control is set to manual around 4+ level. This leads to failure of the parts. The new firmware is suppose to fix this issue, it will try to alleviate the stress by slowly cranking these parts. Also, he said vehicles with heated garage will not have this issue. Our doesn't have the luxury of a heated garage and always parked outside battling the elements.

He suggested to put the climate control to Auto.

I can't fully say that this is the fix for my issue, for now I set my climate to Auto. We've been getting fairly mild weather lately. This weekend should dip to -18 C / 0 F.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoG and DrGriz
I got a text from SC to bring in the vehicle last Monday. They worked on it, got estimate from the app that supermanifold, heat pump and AC lines need to be replaced. Got the vehicle next day, sure enough, heat is back. Pre-conditioned worked this morning too. So far so good.

I asked SC rep for an explanation of the issue. Rep informed me that the old firmware is taking too much stress on the supermanifold and heatpump when climate control is set to manual around 4+ level. This leads to failure of the parts. The new firmware is suppose to fix this issue, it will try to alleviate the stress by slowly cranking these parts. Also, he said vehicles with heated garage will not have this issue. Our doesn't have the luxury of a heated garage and always parked outside battling the elements.

I can't fully say that this is the fix for my issue, for now I set my climate to Auto. We've been getting fairly mild weather lately. This weekend should dip to -18 C / 0 F.
part of me wants to believe that, but i'm torn. I've always had my climate set to auto at 19C. lost heat originally around 7 Jan in -25C temps with software 2021.44.30.?? Got the .6 and .7 updates between then and the service appt. Service appt scheduled for 21 Jan. Got car back 11 days later on 1 Feb. Heat worked until Monday 7 Feb (it did turn off on saturday the 5th, but came back on the next drive that day). currently waiting for my next service appt on 11 March.

I suspect this is mostly related to the recall they just announced: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V050-2023.PDF

In vehicles built with heat pump, the Electronic Expansion Valve (EXV) may experience controller communication interruptions, after which the EXV driver may attempt to realign the EXV rotor by rotating it in a small increment toward the open direction. When heat pump vehicles operating firmware release 2021.44 through 2021.44.30.6 experience such interruptions, the vehicle software does not close the valve, and the accumulation of interruptions and subsequent realignments over extended periods where the vehicle is awake may result in an unintended valve opening event. This, in turn, may trap refrigerant inside the evaporator and may deplete the refrigerant from the active components in the system. The depletion may result in fail-safe compressor stoppage, and cause loss of cabin heating, particularly in temperatures –10 C or colder. While the windshield defrost system continues to operate with the condition present, defrost performance may not fully comply with FMVSS 103.

And when the refrigerant was trapped it may have resulted in damaging the compressor.

I asked SC rep for an explanation of the issue. Rep informed me that the old firmware is taking too much stress on the supermanifold and heatpump when climate control is set to manual around 4+ level. This leads to failure of the parts. The new firmware is suppose to fix this issue, it will try to alleviate the stress by slowly cranking these parts.

Mine was always on Auto, and it found a way to self-destruct while pre-conditioning. I've noticed a much slower ramp up in recent software versions, as you say.

Reactions: BarokPogi

Yeah I mean it sounds partially like the recall notification issued this morning in the US. The part about auto doesn’t make sense, I’ve always had my car on auto climate and it failed. I guess by putting it in auto it puts less stress on the system.. no idea.

that explains a lot and thank you for finding that. i don't understand though that my heat failed again after the hardware was replaced and i've been on .7 since before the hardware swap.
Did they have to replace the compressor/SuperManifold again? If so, maybe there was still contamination in the system from the prior failure and it took out the replacement equipment as well.

that explains a lot and thank you for finding that. i don't understand though that my heat failed again after the hardware was replaced and i've been on .7 since before the hardware swap.
Well the hardware was replaced but the software was still buggy. So isn't it possible that the same software bug destroyed the new hardware too?

I suspect this is mostly related to the recall they just announced: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V050-2023.PDF

And when the refrigerant was trapped it may have resulted in damaging the compressor.

One thing I don't understand:
"In vehicles built with heat pump, the Electronic Expansion Valve (EXV) may experience controller communication interruptions"

Why is the EXV having controller communication interruptions in the first place?

Reactions: DrGriz
Did they have to replace the compressor/SuperManifold again? If so, maybe there was still contamination in the system from the prior failure and it took out the replacement equipment as well.
i installed software .7 around 14 Jan i think. they replaced the compressor/supermanifold and lines between them on 1 Feb. wouldn't think there was still contamination if they had to replace the parts.

Well the hardware was replaced but the software was still buggy. So isn't it possible that the same software bug destroyed the new hardware too?

One thing I don't understand:
"In vehicles built with heat pump, the Electronic Expansion Valve (EXV) may experience controller communication interruptions"

Why is the EXV having controller communication interruptions in the first place?
That’s a good question. Does anyone know the timelines of this issue and if it was occurring before the v11 update? This version is super buggy and laggy and I wonder if the problem is related specifically to that update.

Hello fellow Americans, Canadians, Norwegians, Scandinavians and everyone who suffered from a broken compressor!!!) my MYP has been without use for a week now. I don't want to ride with a cold interior, because my fingers freeze when I play the balalaika ... as soon as I have a new compressor, I will replace it. But I'll tell you right away. I have all possible sw updates installed. And still at -25 the compressor died. If I fix this electric car, I will definitely tell you how to do it. And yet ... if your compressor twitches like in the video and does not start, believe me, no sw will help you. Inside, the spirals are completely destroyed and it can only be thrown away.... Peace you! Friends!

Reactions: DrGriz
Hello fellow Americans, Canadians, Norwegians, Scandinavians and everyone who suffered from a broken compressor!!!) my MYP has been without use for a week now. I don't want to ride with a cold interior, because my fingers freeze when I play the balalaika ... as soon as I have a new compressor, I will replace it. But I'll tell you right away. I have all possible sw updates installed. And still at -25 the compressor died. If I fix this electric car, I will definitely tell you how to do it. And yet ... if your compressor twitches like in the video and does not start, believe me, no sw will help you. Inside, the spirals are completely destroyed and it can only be thrown away.... Peace you!

Hello fellow Americans, Canadians, Norwegians, Scandinavians and everyone who suffered from a broken compressor!!!) my MYP has been without use for a week now. I don't want to ride with a cold interior, because my fingers freeze when I play the balalaika ... as soon as I have a new compressor, I will replace it. But I'll tell you right away. I have all possible sw updates installed. And still at -25 the compressor died. If I fix this electric car, I will definitely tell you how to do it. And yet ... if your compressor twitches like in the video and does not start, believe me, no sw will help you. Inside, the spirals are completely destroyed and it can only be thrown away.... Peace you!
Keep up posted!

B97D5924-F9F8-4EE2-96EF-5D8713E4415E.jpeg