Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving from Vancouver to Kelowna in our new Y (two weeks old), our heating failed halfway home, resulting in us having to drive 4 hours with no heat at all. Temperatures were between -5 and -7 Celcius in the car and about -20C outside. Same error message VCFRONT _a447 as other Model 3 and Model Y owners. Our issues was after the recent 2021.44.25.2 update, but not clear if it is limited to the new version.

Just received the following message from Service:

"This is a firmware issue currently under investigation by Tesla as it was recently discovered due to the recent extreme cold climates. There will be improvements with future firmware update as it is currently being developed. Current mitigations are to precondition the vehicle 30-60 min prior to departure, use recirculating air model and use auto mode. Symptoms may still occur when driving in climates -15C and below. If heat does not return please park vehicle in a warmer location and allow vehicle to warm up. '

And "A fix is currently being developed by the software engineering team, and there is no ETA on the firmware version fix."
Are you still having this issue?

Wow, problems on models without heat pumps?: Tesla Heat Issue Drags On: Now It's Model 3s With No Heat Pump

It's possible that it's a software/control system issue that is damaging the supermanifold, and that the part revisions have nothing to do with the software issues and only to do with supply chain issues. Otherwise, why would this be happening on models without heat pumps? In any case this doesn't say good things about Tesla's software quality control (but we already knew that they have issues with that).

Hardware failure had my heat pump and supermanifold fail.

I’m not in Canada but my heat pump failed recently in only 30 degree (F) weather here in South Carolina, so not really cold at all. In fact my car has never even been in weather lower than around 10 degrees (F), which was in late Dec 2022 when we had a unusual deep freeze and that was only a day or two. It rarely gets below 25 degrees (F) in general. Fix appears to be the same as others on here with maybe some part iteration updates, see below.

Any of my friends up north experience any issues since 2022 or so? Or did Tesla actually fix this?

FWIW I have a pretty late model year 2021, manufactured in August 2021.

IMG_5399.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
I’m not in Canada but my heat pump failed recently in only 30 degree (F) weather here in South Carolina, so not really cold at all. In fact my car has never even been in weather lower than around 10 degrees (F), which was in late Dec 2022 when we had a unusual deep freeze and that was only a day or two. It rarely gets below 25 degrees (F) in general. Fix appears to be the same as others on here with maybe some part iteration updates, see below.

Any of my friends up north experience any issues since 2022 or so? Or did Tesla actually fix this?

FWIW I have a pretty late model year 2021, manufactured in August 2021.

View attachment 1000869
I had similar repairs. Don't know the part numbers now. It was done in early 2022.

No issues since, but last winter was relatively warm, not as warm as South Carolina. I'm still nervous about it going. i have about 8k km on the warranty and am hoping we get some -20 weather for a few days in January or February just to test it one more time before my warranty ends.