Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent incidence of Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) [not TACC/AP phantom braking]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the worst kind of phantom braking the other day in a 20 zone, full emergency brake for no reason what so ever. Went back over the dashcam and the only thing I could find was a slightly dark line in the road from a repair, but nothing that the radar would have seen and a lot more subtle than most of the other patchy roads. First time I'd had the car fully slam on the brakes to a complete stop, wasn't helped by having cricked my neck the day before.

Reactions: Sean.
I’ve had two such low speed AEB incidents in the last fortnight...and not a single one the previous three years....

Both instances were with pedestrians at close quarters, not in any danger (my driving is not that bad!:) in the corner periphery at low speed, < 10 mph. Today’s was lucky to not get me rear ended, after setting off at a pedestrian crossing, then AEB immediately slammed the brakes on. Not safe at all.

Car is on 2020.36.11, which may or may not be a coincidence as both instances occurred since the upgrade.

Bit mystified.

Happened again this morning, as I was passing a cyclist waiting to cross the road between two parked cars, her front wheel pointed to the road, she was walking the bike across but stationary and waiting for the traffic. As I was approaching and just about to pass, wham! the AEB slams on the brakes and we come to a juddering almost stop. This is getting ridiculous now.

Could this be a fault with the radar on your car as I have never experienced this happening at low speeds or read about it on the forums. Normally experienced at motorway speeds.
It might be a fault / calibration. There’s no error messages, other than what pops up on the drivers display when EAB is activated. 3 times in 10 days isn’t right, that’s for sure.

Now on 30 minute hold with Tesla...

I had a similar incident about a week ago and I have no idea what caused it. Just beginning to pull away in stop start traffic and the brakes slammed on. Cue honking horn from the driver behind who just avoided rear ending me. It was very unnerving.

I’m well used to frequent, often violent, phantom braking on motorways but this was a first for me.

I had a similar incident about a week ago and I have no idea what caused it. Just beginning to pull away in stop start traffic and the brakes slammed on. Cue honking horn from the driver behind who just avoided rear ending me. It was very unnerving.

I’m well used to frequent, often violent, phantom braking on motorways but this was a first for me.
Not just me then...as said I’ve never before had this in 3 years, 50k miles. Either something is broke or something changed in SW...

Is this in fully manual driving just with AEB active in settings, or in cruise control?
Fully manual driving around town simply with collision avoidance / AEB active. All incidents at low speeds, 10 to 15 mph.

It’s booked in for a check, but they mentioned they’ve had other reports of similar recently, so it’s looking more like an update issue rather than hardware fail or calibration.

Have had the HW3 upgrade, but still running original MCU1.

I’ve logged the dates and times of the AEB incidents on the service appointment. So hopefully they can investigate.

Last edited:
Same here, first time it's ever done it for me (1 year in now). 20 zone no people or cars about, no cyclist and the only thing I could see that may have triggered it was a line in the tarmac where it had been patched. Luckily no one behind me as it stopped pretty quickly. My guess is it's a bug in the last firmware, but I'm onto 2020.40.4 as of yesterday.

• Informative
Same here, first time it's ever done it for me (1 year in now). 20 zone no people or cars about, no cyclist and the only thing I could see that may have triggered it was a line in the tarmac where it had been patched. Luckily no one behind me as it stopped pretty quickly. My guess is it's a bug in the last firmware, but I'm onto 2020.40.4 as of yesterday.
I’m still on 2020.36.11...something is up though. For now until they’ve sussed it, I’ve switched off AEB in the autopilot settings. It’s simply not worth getting rear ended because of a software...err feature.

I’m still on 2020.36.11...something is up though. For now until they’ve sussed it, I’ve switched off AEB in the autopilot settings. It’s simply not worth getting rear ended because of a software...err feature.

I believe that is a per drive setting

upload_2020-10-16_17-20-52.png

• Informative
+1 form me. I had it in Sainsburys car park at the weekend. First time in a year's driving. I got a fair few strange looks!

Sorry for my ignorance here, I am awaiting delivery of my M3. Does this phantom braking only happen with AP on? It sounds quite worrying. I presume autonomous emergency braking when not using AP works differently?

Sorry for my ignorance here, I am awaiting delivery of my M3. Does this phantom braking only happen with AP on? It sounds quite worrying. I presume autonomous emergency braking when not using AP works differently?

Yes. Phantom braking (no obvious reason) affects TACC and by inference Autosteer.

Automatic emergency brake affects manual driving too - seems to be a reason, even if the reason is oversensitive/not an emergency.

There is also forward collision warning, again manual driving, but its only a warning thankfully as fairly common.