Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

Recent incidence of Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) [not TACC/AP phantom braking]

Sorry for my ignorance here, I am awaiting delivery of my M3. Does this phantom braking only happen with AP on? It sounds quite worrying. I presume autonomous emergency braking when not using AP works differently?

It's mostly when AP is engaged. I did, however, have a very bad instance of autonomous emergency braking when slowing at lights on a roundabout. AP was not on, but the car thought my approach speed to the car in front was too fast (it wasn't). It slammed on the brakes, proper emergency stop. I was very lucky there was no car behind me. It's the only time in 12,000 miles that it has done this though.

Sean.

Jun 30, 2020
Suffolk (UK)
It's mostly when AP is engaged. I did, however, have a very bad instance of autonomous emergency braking when slowing at lights on a roundabout. AP was not on, but the car thought my approach speed to the car in front was too fast (it wasn't). It slammed on the brakes, proper emergency stop. I was very lucky there was no car behind me. It's the only time in 12,000 miles that it has done this though.
First for me the other week too. Then two more occurrences last, so it’s not a coincidence...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rincewind

Sean.

Jun 30, 2020
Suffolk (UK)
Re phantom AEB, or PAEB (I’m coining that one!) I’m booked in for next Thursday @ Heathrow, to have them check things over.

Although PAEB’s occurrence coincided with my last service visit (and upgrade to 2020.36.11), can only think it could either be some sort of camera or radar calibration (affecting my car only) or a “sensitivity” bug - to pedestrians and cyclists in close quarters - contained this last series of SW updates. Seems a few others are seeing this also, in different models but also later SW versions.

Whereas phantom braking on TACC/AP seems to have gotten worse, it’s always been with us, and you can account for it.

PAEB appears to me at least a worrying “new” thing that’s lurking - the concern I suppose is getting a nice rear end shunt around town, if you forget to switch off AEB, given it resets itself to default on each drive.

...sorry it wasn’t me guv, it was the car!!!

Cnixon

Mar 5, 2020
Basingstoke
Not the first time, but today (2020.40.8) I had about 20 of those in succession. Nose to tail traffic about 10 mph, every time I took my foot off the accelerator the car did an emergency stop. The driver behind must have thought..."oh it's a Tesla!" or something like that. As I said before nothing red on screen but I did notice the car in front was displayed a darker grey if that means anything.

I thought I saw a while ago that AEB was mandatory in all new cars - at least in the EU. More generally I think that unwarranted AEB (which generally seems only to happen at relatively low speeds and involves maximum brake application) and Phantom Braking which can happen at any speed but is not ‘emergency braking’ are different phenomena.

Sean.

Jun 30, 2020
Suffolk (UK)
I thought I saw a while ago that AEB was mandatory in all new cars - at least in the EU. More generally I think that unwarranted AEB (which generally seems only to happen at relatively low speeds and involves maximum brake application) and Phantom Braking which can happen at any speed but is not ‘emergency braking’ are different phenomena.
They are quite different. I did try another thread, but the powers that be merged them. Who am I to argue.

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
They are quite different. I did try another thread, but the powers that be merged them. Who am I to argue.

Moderator comment - apologies for previous merge - now split AEB and TACC/AP phantom braking topics

TACC/AP phantom braking remains in
Phantom braking getting bad. (TACC/AP)

If I incorrectly allocated a post, please let me know

Last edited:

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I had my first experience today of emergency auto braking. I was doing about 10 mph, without AP, on a grass field. There were some people milling about but there was no possibility of me hitting anyone, then suddenly - wham, full braking and the car’s wheels locked letting the car slide on the wet surface. TBH, I’m getting fed up with the range of stupid interventions and warnings from it - Forward collision warnings on narrow roads but when there is ample room to pass, Lane departure warnings when I’m simply using the width of the road, or even just changing lane on a motorway too slowly. I wish I could just turn the whole lot off permanently.

Sean.

Jun 30, 2020
Suffolk (UK)
Any more AEB incidents to reports @pdk42 ?

I’m no further with it. Tesla service texted me the morning before my appointment was due last week:

“Good Morning Sean, We're still carrying out Remote Diagnosis on your vehicle. We confirmed Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) triggered with the time and date stamp you've supplied. But can you confirm on what road this was on (location name would be ideal) and any dashcam footage possible? We can see this only happened once and are aware ghost objects can be picked up from the cameras and radar which could implement the AEB. Thank you, Tesla Service.”

That text was sent at 09:18 on the Wednesday and I didn’t have a chance to respond let alone go find footage etc. with their queries by 2pm that day, they then decided to unilaterally bump my appointment.

Sadly I’ve come now to expect this level of *sugar* show “service” from Tesla as the whole game has gone south....

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
Any more AEB incidents to reports @pdk42 ?

I’m no further with it. Tesla service texted me the morning before my appointment was due last week:

“Good Morning Sean, We're still carrying out Remote Diagnosis on your vehicle. We confirmed Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) triggered with the time and date stamp you've supplied. But can you confirm on what road this was on (location name would be ideal) and any dashcam footage possible? We can see this only happened once and are aware ghost objects can be picked up from the cameras and radar which could implement the AEB. Thank you, Tesla Service.”

That text was sent at 09:18 on the Wednesday and I didn’t have a chance to respond let alone go find footage etc. with their queries by 2pm that day, they then decided to unilaterally bump my appointment.

Sadly I’ve come now to expect this level of *sugar* show “service” from Tesla as the whole game has gone south....
You can still reply to the text.

Plagued

Apr 9, 2019
Uk
I've had no further instances of AEB and I can't really see an issue with Tesla's response to a service request. Ultimately unless it's consistently happening and you have multiple data sets they may not be able to identify what triggered the issue. While it shouldn't happen at all, unless there's a clear sensor fault it could be a false detection by the neural net. They see things very differently to humans, you can completely change what they think an object is by placing a single coloured pixel in an image, so I'm sure new revisions of the software will get better or worse at identifying false positives as things progress. It's good to report them as it may possibly help improve the software, but I wouldn't expect any real short term outcome.

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
I had at least one service request postponed the day before (and another if it wasn't the day before it was a few days max) - people like to think that its JIT, but tbh its JTL (just too late) as Tesla don't seem to think that people may be putting themselves out for these things and may have made alternative arrangements to cover.

Reactions: Sean.

Sean.

Jun 30, 2020
Suffolk (UK)
I had at least one service request postponed the day before (and another if it wasn't the day before it was a few days max) - people like to think that its JIT, but tbh its JTL (just too late) as Tesla don't seem to think that people may be putting themselves out for these things and may have made alternative arrangements to cover.
Precisely. We’ve got work commitments, faimilies and a host of other things to consider and juggle. Cancelling an appointment at the last minute and the randomly assigning you a time without asking is just bloody rude.

Well, just had a phantom braking incident. No TACC, just cruising to a stop behind a car at a T junction on country B road. Car got it in to its head that I should be slowing faster (this was not the case in reality, I was already slowing and had plenty of room), slammed on the brakes equivalent to an emergency stop. How the poor car behind me didn't go in to the back of me I don't know - it was very close. This is the second time this has happened to me.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC