Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent mobile key range poor when walking up to my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure why, but recently (last month or so), my Model 3 stays in sentry mode when I walk up to it. My iPhone mobile is in my front pocket and have never had any issues before unlocking the car.
Now I have to take out my phone from the pocket and hold it or sometimes wait for 10-15 seconds to have the car unlock. This is exceptionally bad because it is cold now in Chicago and my family is often waiting for me to unlock the door when we are freezing outside the parked car.

I first thought it was due to the new cold weather but not sure. Could it be due to the new iPhone 11 pro max (I think it worked fine when I first got it).

Has anyone else noticed this decreased Bluetooth range when approaching the car?

Same with me. mine is an old iphone, but never had to wait near the door as I am doing now. Something seems to have changed in the recent software updates or something. Sometimes it wakes up fine, other times, I have to go to my bluetooth settings and ask the phone to connect to tesla.. i am resolved to blaming my phone because i like my car better :)

I cant say it was perfect ever - but only had the car for a month or two.
I've had mine for more than a year. THere were initial hiccups in the beginning, but for a long while it was perfect, and I never had to think about unlocking the car. Now the problem is quite frequent. Yes, I also think it was something with a recent software update...

I have the same issue. I have been using the same phone (Pixel 2) since I got my car back in 2018 and never had this issue until a few weeks ago. I also turned off battery optimization for the app on my phone, no change.

The fact that it's happening with different phones as stated above (both iOS and Android) makes me think it's a recent software update that is causing this.

I have the same issue. I have been using the same phone (Pixel 2) since I got my car back in 2018 and never had this issue until a few weeks ago. I also turned off battery optimization for the app on my phone, no change.

The fact that it's happening with different phones as stated above (both iOS and Android) makes me think it's a recent software update that is causing this.

I just got the car so i thought there was something wrong with my pixel. The phone key had maybe worked one time in the 36 hours I've owned the car.

I'll try uninstalling the app like suggested above.

I have noticed the same. When the Tesla does not unlock, I twist my body so the phone is closer to the car (I keep the phone in my left front pants pocket). This works immediately and every time. It is odd that the majority of the time, I do not have to this.