Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Model 3/Y Deliveries - re: price cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - early last week, I placed an order for a custom white Model 3 Performance. On Friday, I noticed there was a black version available for local delivery in Tesla’s new inventory. I called to inquire about switching my order and within the afternoon was able to do so. I scheduled delivery for Tuesday and have since taken delivery.

After today’s price cut news, ordering a new identical version today of the car I’ve owned since Tuesday would save ~$9-10k. Additionally, with knowledge of the EV rebate eligibility, waiting on the custom order I originally purchased would save ~$20k.
I spoke to Tesla sales folks several times last week and heard they had been informed by corporate that news of how the EV rebate would work would trickle down from on high within the week. With that in mind, it’s likely that Tesla corporate knew full-well that these price cuts were going to be announced prior to delivering my vehicle.

Under the legal covenant of “good faith and fair dealing,” I may have been entitled to Tesla’s obligation to inform me and let me cancel/reorder or qualify for the new price.

I’m looking for other people in similar situations to mine. Please post here or contact me if you or someone you know is affected by this situation.

• Funny
Reactions: glide
What is the legal covenant of "good faith and fair dealing?"

Reactions: kingkong5

I read through the articles. I'm sorry your new purchase lost so much value so quickly, but I don't think anything Tesla did or didn't do in the course of your purchase agreement kept you from performance of your contract, especially since the contract was executed successfully when they took your money and you got your car. I wish you do get some kind of offering to ease the pain and ill feelings.

Reactions: minortrekkie
I read through the articles. I'm sorry your new purchase lost so much value so quickly, but I don't think anything Tesla did or didn't do in the course of your purchase agreement kept you from performance of your contract, especially since the contract was executed successfully when they took your money and you got your car. I wish you do get some kind of offering to ease the pain and ill feelings.

Totally hear you, and you may be right, but I think the key piece that affects me (and probably a rather small group of others) is that Tesla, Inc. may have been fully aware of plans to execute price cuts prior to delivering my car.

That covenant is vague and open to interpretation, but knowing you’re about to sell some item for $10000 less in 3 days than you just sold it to someone today may very well lie in contradiction to that legal principle.

Hi everyone - early last week, I placed an order for a custom white Model 3 Performance. On Friday, I noticed there was a black version available for local delivery in Tesla’s new inventory. I called to inquire about switching my order and within the afternoon was able to do so. I scheduled delivery for Tuesday and have since taken delivery.

After today’s price cut news, ordering a new identical version today of the car I’ve owned since Tuesday would save ~$9-10k. Additionally, with knowledge of the EV rebate eligibility, waiting on the custom order I originally purchased would save ~$20k.
I spoke to Tesla sales folks several times last week and heard they had been informed by corporate that news of how the EV rebate would work would trickle down from on high within the week. With that in mind, it’s likely that Tesla corporate knew full-well that these price cuts were going to be announced prior to delivering my vehicle.

Under the legal covenant of “good faith and fair dealing,” I may have been entitled to Tesla’s obligation to inform me and let me cancel/reorder or qualify for the new price.

I’m looking for other people in similar situations to mine. Please post here or contact me if you or someone you know is affected by this situation.
Tesla is not required to inform you of impending price changes when you buy your vehicle.

This has nothing to do with “dealing in good faith”. The vehicle was listed at a price, you literally called and requested to buy it, they sold it to you. Transaction complete.