Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Model S changes reflection of Model 3 options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the Tesla store this last weekend, and the SA noted that delivery times for Model S's is down to 5 weeks (was looking at 60's). When I asked why, he said the factory is ramping up production of Model S's to begin volume testing the Model 3 production line in anticipation of the launch.

Last night, with the discontinuation of the Model S 60, the options have changed a bit. Specifically:

(1) Power liftgate is now standard
(2) No solid roof -- only all glass + panorama as options
(3) No smart air suspension

Here's a theory based wholly on conjecture -- what if they removed these options so that every car that comes off the production line focuses on a feature that the Model 3's can be built with?

This would enable to stress test that they can handle the volume with all different iterations, just on a different body style.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Here's a theory based wholly on conjecture -- what if they removed these options so that every car that comes off the production line focuses on a feature that the Model 3's can be built with?

This would enable to stress test that they can handle the volume with all different iterations, just on a different body style.

That would make sense except that the model S and the model 3 are going to be built on different lines.

Elon stated something to the effect that the MS and MX would exceed the M3 in virtually all aspects (except, of course, price).

So, the now included glass roof and automatic rear hatch on the MS may be clues that these are also included in the base M3. Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly.

Elon stated something to the effect that the MS and MX would exceed the M3 in virtually all aspects (except, of course, price).

So, the now included glass roof and automatic rear hatch on the MS may be clues that these are also included in the base M3. Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly.
The trip to Mars is only one way......No coming back and no Tesla's to drive in there.

I was in the Tesla store this last weekend, and the SA noted that delivery times for Model S's is down to 5 weeks (was looking at 60's). When I asked why, he said the factory is ramping up production of Model S's to begin volume testing the Model 3 production line in anticipation of the launch.

Last night, with the discontinuation of the Model S 60, the options have changed a bit. Specifically:

(1) Power liftgate is now standard
(2) No solid roof -- only all glass + panorama as options
(3) No smart air suspension

1) The Model 3 isn't going to have a liftgate, it will have a trunk. I think they just did it because it was cheaper to install it on all cars and give it away as included.
2) The Model 3 may not have a solid roof option. They have pitched the Model 3 as having a solid glass roof from the start, so it is probable they included it on the Model S to test out any issues that might crop up before the Model 3 starts production.
3) The Model S still has air suspension, it's only available on the 90D and up though. It's standard on the 100D and P100D and an option on the 90D.

As someone else said, the Model 3 will be built on a different production line from the S and X. But it is possible they might be streamlining to consolidate parts suppliers. While there will be little overlap in major parts between the S/X and 3, there will be small parts that will be used across the whole product line.

I also think the Model 3 will have a lot fewer electronic gadgets than the S/X. Things that are now pretty much standard on cars like power door locks and power windows will probably be standard, and things that can be built into the Model 3 cheaply like a nav system will be there, but the doors will have mechanical latches and the trunk may have a power trunk release, but it's going to be much more basic than what you see on the S/X. There will be no power trunk closing for example.

Hmmm. Depends on what you order I guess. I placed an order for a 100D on April 3rd and it's still not in production yet much less anywhere near delivery. I'm hoping I've got the first 2170 battery car off the line and thus the delay:)

Don't hold your breath. Elon has said the Model S/X won't get 2170 batteries until sometime after the Model 3 is in production.

I believe that Model 3 will have a standard glass roof like Model S, because this makes the car easier to build. No need to paint match roof. Another opening for robots to work through during manufacturing.

Here is what I expect as far as options for Model 3:

***Exterior***
Same color palette: black, gray, blue, silver, white, red
Roof: glass, pano
Wheel: 17" standard, 19" upgraded

***Interior***
Upholstery: black fabric, white synthetic leather, black leather

***Battery***
55-60 kWh or 75 kWh

***Autopilot***
AP and Full Self Driving at same activation cost as S and X.

***Options***
(1)Interior upgrade with better trim, lighting, headlights, audio speakers, and biohazard mode.
(2)Cold Weather package

Basically, keep choices on features like wheels to a minimum. No fancy air suspension or tow package.

I believe that Model 3 will have a standard glass roof like Model S, because this makes the car easier to build. No need to paint match roof. Another opening for robots to work through during manufacturing.

Here is what I expect as far as options for Model 3:

***Exterior***
Same color palette: black, gray, blue, silver, white, red
Roof: glass, pano
Wheel: 17" standard, 19" upgraded

***Interior***
Upholstery: black fabric, white synthetic leather, black leather

***Battery***
55-60 kWh or 75 kWh

***Autopilot***
AP and Full Self Driving at same activation cost as S and X.

***Options***
(1)Interior upgrade with better trim, lighting, headlights, audio speakers, and biohazard mode.
(2)Cold Weather package

Basically, keep choices on features like wheels to a minimum. No fancy air suspension or tow package.

Not that plans can't change, but....

tow.png

• Informative
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
Haha, I'd forgotten all about that.
What about Dual motors/drive and performance / ludicrous? Then smart air suspension is needed, or not?
And about interior.......Elon did mention once...vegan material option for the M3, did he not?
Wheels were in the testdrives 18 (and maybe 20 inch)?
And hopefully, but that is dreaming in the sky... ........ maybe, by the end of next year 85kWh, because of an other arrangement (lay-out) of the batteries.

Glass roof is good. I have that in my car right now. Nice and warm. Even in winter it is warmer in the car when you get in. In summer you just open your windows for 1 minute and gone is the heat. Plus you can close your curtain for the glass roof. At least in my Toyota Auris Lease hybrid. Lease stands for the somewhat extra luxurious version. So it is not leased.

Last edited:
What about Dual motors/drive and performance / ludicrous? Then smart air suspension is needed, or not?
And about interior.......Elon did mention once...vegan material option for the M3, did he not?
Wheels were in the testdrives 18 (and maybe 20 inch)?
And hopefully, but that is dreaming in the sky... ........ maybe, by the end of next year 85kWh, because of an other arrangement (lay-out) of the batteries

Elon stated on Twitter that initial Model 3 configurations would be RWD only. AWD dual motor available 6-9 months later.

I don't know whether air suspension or vegan interior will be available at launch, but I believe that the base seat material will be fabric rather than leather.

But as I understood the last half year following all news about the 3 models, not by much. That is.... if you want the full optioned M3 and after taxes in Europe / The Netherlands. A fully loaded M3 can cost you easely Euro 75 to 80.000.
No one knows what any of the options will cost on the model 3 anything you read, other than the base price, is pure speculation.

No one knows what any of the options will cost on the model 3 anything you read, other than the base price, is pure speculation.
You're right but predictions and comparisons from MS and MX were made for the M3. Adding those speculative figures and the fact of the high taxes in The Netherlands I wouldn't be surprised if my speculative price is not that far off.

Elon stated on Twitter that initial Model 3 configurations would be RWD only. AWD dual motor available 6-9 months later.

I don't know whether air suspension or vegan interior will be available at launch, but I believe that the base seat material will be fabric rather than leather.
Off course not at launch. I will get my M3 not sooner than fall 2018. Rather a bit later I think, cause I live in The Netherlands, Europe. So I will be one of the reservationholders who get the car the very last minute. With every product I want/ buy that is the case. The story of my life. In this situation it is in my advantage, though.