Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Model S Salvage Value Estimates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

What's the best method/resource for determining the salvage value of a Model S?

I'm trying to update my family's long-term budget/planning, so on the vehicle side, I got some trade-in/appraisal numbers for my 5 yr old MCU1 AP1 85D with an accident on record (but with clean/non-salvage title).

The number is much lower than I was expecting, and I think is in the realm of salvage value (because one salesman explicitly said "this vehicle will go straight to auction, so I'm offering around salvage value to guarantee my dealership a profit").

I've heard of copart, but if I'm understanding the website correctly, the only way I see a $$ figure is to watch the auction real-time. Am I missing an aspect of the site?Any other resources available to look at to try and grok what my car's salvage value would be?

Offers: $23-25k
What I Guessed Salvage Value of a Tesla w/ Working HV Battery Was From My Memory of Reading TMC/Youtube: $20k
Actual Salvage Value: ???

Your car is not a salvage car. It's just a used car with used car trade in value. Most 5 year old or older cars go directly to auction. If you want to maximize your selling price, you will need to sell the car yourself.

I'm trying to estimate what the salvage value is of my trim of car (85D, pre-facelift, MCU1, AP1), and how much delta there is between the salvage value and the offers I've gotten.

If your car has a clean title, salvage value should not be relevant regardless of what the dealer may want to offer. However, the car's previous accident history will still affect value. How much so will depend on a few factors including amount/type of damage and total cost of the accident repair. Google "diminished value calculator" and you’ll find a few sites that should be helpful.

Regarding salvage title values, I believe the general rule of thumb is to deduct 20% to 40% or more off clean title value.

If your car has a clean title, salvage value should not be relevant regardless of what the dealer may want to offer. However, the car's previous accident history will still affect value. How much so will depend on a few factors including amount/type of damage and total cost of the accident repair. Google "diminished value calculator" and you’ll find a few sites that should be helpful.

Regarding salvage title values, I believe the general rule of thumb is to deduct 20% to 40% or more off clean title value.

I did go through the DV process already (Collision, Repair and DV/LoU Lawsuit: My Nearly 500 Days of Fun), but that valuation was for 2 yrs ago, so no longer applicable.

To me, the salvage value IS relevant, as it establishes a floor for the car's worth.

Thanks for the rule-of-thumb; looks like 40% off the KBB/Edmunds estimate I have would put the appraisal I got at salvage value.

I can only give you my datapoint.

March/2014 Model S (non-performance, but with all other options, pre-autopilot) with 130k miles.

Was totaled in 3/2020. My insurance sent me a check for almost exactly $30k.

That being said, the used car market is flooded post-Covid. I'm sure I wouldn't get the same now.

Are you selling the car?

We both still enjoy driving the vehicle and it looks great (just yesterday, the tire rotation worker didn't believe me that it was produced prior to the active suspension being standard, he said it looked too nice). So we decided unless something very very bad happens, we'll probably keep the car, do a pre-emptive eMMC swap and re-assess as we near the end of the 8 yr battery warranty.

I can only give you my datapoint.

March/2014 Model S (non-performance, but with all other options, pre-autopilot) with 130k miles.

Was totaled in 3/2020. My insurance sent me a check for almost exactly $30k.

That being said, the used car market is flooded post-Covid. I'm sure I wouldn't get the same now.

Did they mention what the salvage value was? Or did it not matter because the repair estimate by itself pushed it to a total loss (based on your state's total loss threshold)?

Did they mention what the salvage value was? Or did it not matter because the repair estimate by itself pushed it to a total loss (based on your state's total loss threshold)?

Good point. They did not mention the salvage value, just that the car was clearly totaled. Car was not in a fire, just airbags deployed and lots of damage from an impact on the driver's side. It's possible that the batteries were all intact and just shut down.