Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Model X build quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery on Friday of an August built X75D (which I ordered way back in March). There's several issues that I found that the service center is going to look at on Monday when they come pick it back up from me.

The most severe is the passenger FWD catches on the rear window chrome trim when opening. It occurred during my delivery inspection at the center, but it recurred at home (when the door opened at a different angle than at the center). It bent the chrome trim and ripped a chunk off of the FWD rubber door seal.

The other significant problem is the HVAC makes a lot of noise/vibration, which resonates in the cabin when I first start driving after the car has sat for a while. It goes away after about 3-4 miles and after the cabin has cooled off. The vibration and noise is most noticeable at low speeds, probably because of the road/tire noise covers it up at higher speeds.

There are a few, less severe, but other problems I would like them to look at:
  • The driver's FWD occasionally makes weird noises when opening, again depending on the angle. It's not consistent and difficult to reproduce however.
  • There's a large gap between the interior door panel and metal on the leading edge of the drivers' FWD.
  • The fan for the drivers ventilated seat is loud and has an annoying whine that I do not recall hearing when I sat in an X in the store and tested it. Passenger side seat is much quieter.
  • The passenger front door is slightly misaligned on the leading edge with the front fender. The trailing edge is aligned with the FWD however. Not sure if that means both doors are a little off. Perhaps this is why the door is catching the rear window trim piece.
Overall, you definitely should test open and close both FWDs at multiple angles when doing your delivery inspection. It sucks having to take my X right back after I took delivery and I missed not being able to open the passenger side FWD all weekend.

Curious, was there ever a case of someone picking up their new MX and just driving off into the sunset, only to return for their annual inspection? Or should all new owners count on at least 1 SC visit in the near term.

I bought an MX90D for the wife and 3 kids that we're taking delivery on this week. She was excited and started reading the forums, but now she's terrified of the car. The last thing she wants is to be stuck on the side of the road somewhere (I can't blame her) with the kids because of some malfunction. She has no time to be making numerous SC trips and dealing with loaners, of which might not even be another MX.

I told her forums are like the emergency room where you only really see the patients, but the rest of the world if chugging along just fine. I hope that's the case. TBH, I was in the market for MS for myself, so that's all I've been researching. I made a spur of the moment change and bought something for the family instead without researching to deeply

I'm happy to be part of the Tesla story and work through any issues with them - I just need to ensure it's the right thing, right now for the other 4 of us.

Reactions: davidc18 and Ormond
I'm nervous too. I'm not worried about getting stranded, but would hate to get stuck with a non-Tesla loaner for an extended period. I'd feel foolish for giving up my reliable Mercedes-Benz.

I'm not used to ordering a vehicle and having time to worry and second-guess myself. I hope I'll love it.

Reactions: davidc18
Thank you! This would help me to inspect my Tesla upon delivery. I sincerely hope all of your issues are resolved very soon.

Took delivery on Friday of an August built X75D (which I ordered way back in March). There's several issues that I found that the service center is going to look at on Monday when they come pick it back up from me.

The most severe is the passenger FWD catches on the rear window chrome trim when opening. It occurred during my delivery inspection at the center, but it recurred at home (when the door opened at a different angle than at the center). It bent the chrome trim and ripped a chunk off of the FWD rubber door seal.

The other significant problem is the HVAC makes a lot of noise/vibration, which resonates in the cabin when I first start driving after the car has sat for a while. It goes away after about 3-4 miles and after the cabin has cooled off. The vibration and noise is most noticeable at low speeds, probably because of the road/tire noise covers it up at higher speeds.

There are a few, less severe, but other problems I would like them to look at:
  • The driver's FWD occasionally makes weird noises when opening, again depending on the angle. It's not consistent and difficult to reproduce however.
  • There's a large gap between the interior door panel and metal on the leading edge of the drivers' FWD.
  • The fan for the drivers ventilated seat is loud and has an annoying whine that I do not recall hearing when I sat in an X in the store and tested it. Passenger side seat is much quieter.
  • The passenger front door is slightly misaligned on the leading edge with the front fender. The trailing edge is aligned with the FWD however. Not sure if that means both doors are a little off. Perhaps this is why the door is catching the rear window trim piece.
Overall, you definitely should test open and close both FWDs at multiple angles when doing your delivery inspection. It sucks having to take my X right back after I took delivery and I missed not being able to open the passenger side FWD all weekend.

I was scared to death with the fwd issues as I saw pictures right before I took delivery. But if you think about this you have people take vins <17000-20000+, that's 3000+ MX in a short amount of time and we hear with major issues on roughly 20-30 (just a guess on the forums) with possibly more but rarely hear about those that ride into the sunset. On the other hand the QC for these vehicles should be top notch and shouldn't result to hearing these unfortunate issues for any of these owners.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
You would think they should've solved the FWD issues by now but no, new cars rolling off the line are having new issues (as for cars produced in Sept.). At least the earlier issues were more about obstacles detected preventing the doors to open/close etc. Now, they are opening to scratch off the chrome trim and damaging the door seal that didn't happen before. I was expecting there will be some FWD issue down the road but did not expect it on delivery day. It really disappointed me. It is what it is and I hope everything will be fine afterwards. Delivery center gave me a Model S loaner (no Model X loaner) while they repair it. They will deliver the car to my house.

We will never know what the actual # of people in those 3000+ ride into the sunset or not. I doubt it but I'll never know.

@number12 I think it's the sensor. The Delivery manager said it's the (pinch?) sensor failing. We'll see what comes back when I take re-delivery.

As mentioned before, the FWD did not open fully at the delivery center with high ceiling / open area. That's your first indication the chrome-scratching will occur because that's exactly what happened to mine. My driver side FWD did not open fully during delivery. The DES just said oh you can just override it blah blah. I thought that was odd but then I was focused on other things. Apparently that's your first sign of sensor fail.

I might be the first person to report the actual cause as they already took it back on my delivery day to the shop to fix. ETA Monday but who knows. I should hear back today (Monday).

Last edited:
I think I'll come up with a list of 5 items that must be checked by the DS/SC/EM/Janitor/Whomever before I come down and take delivery. Do you think they'll go for that? Why on earth do they have us come down, sign the papers, then have us point to each obvious issue so that we can immediately setup a SC appointment? Is it that hard to check the FWD's a few times BEFORE having the customer onsite?

I was actually supposed to take delivery on a MS the day I switched to a MX. When I first opened my MS door there was the loudest creaking noise when swinging the door. It sounded worse than the doors on my Grandmothers T-Bird. I thought to myself how in the heck did nobody try to fix this before I got there. Numerous folks had to have driven the car for it to get to various places on the lot. So boom, right there, magic and euphoria is lost. I didn't care much for that MS anymore. That being said, everyone over there is super nice and I don't want to go on ragging. BTW, the SC did fix it in <5min, but still...

Reactions: number12
I think I'll come up with a list of 5 items that must be checked by the DS/SC/EM/Janitor/Whomever before I come down and take delivery. Do you think they'll go for that? Why on earth do they have us come down, sign the papers, then have us point to each obvious issue so that we can immediately setup a SC appointment? Is it that hard to check the FWD's a few times BEFORE having the customer onsite?
If you make a list, please share it with us.

I was actually supposed to take delivery on a MS the day I switched to a MX. When I first opened my MS door there was the loudest creaking noise when swinging the door. It sounded worse than the doors on my Grandmothers T-Bird. I thought to myself how in the heck did nobody try to fix this before I got there. Numerous folks had to have driven the car for it to get to various places on the lot. So boom, right there, magic and euphoria is lost. I didn't care much for that MS anymore. That being said, everyone over there is super nice and I don't want to go on ragging. BTW, the SC did fix it in <5min, but still...

I too was a bit disappointed in the lack of attention to detail and QC check by my local service center team, which has been stellar in the 3 years I had an S prior to getting my X. I think the FWD and HVAC issues I had should have been easily caught, had someone taken the time to perform even a short pre-delivery inspection. I even found some person's hairnet in the closed center console, which tells me: 1) they never even opened it to check, and 2) workers somewhere between the factory and the service center are careless enough to do something stupid like that. I'm hoping its caused by overwork instead of a change in attitude.

You would think they should've solved the FWD issues by now but no, new cars rolling off the line are having new issues (as for cars produced in Sept.). At least the earlier issues were more about obstacles detected preventing the doors to open/close etc. Now, they are opening to scratch off the chrome trim and damaging the door seal that didn't happen before. I was expecting there will be some FWD issue down the road but did not expect it on delivery day. It really disappointed me. It is what it is and I hope everything will be fine afterwards. Delivery center gave me a Model S loaner (no Model X loaner) while they repair it. They will deliver the car to my house.

We will never know what the actual # of people in those 3000+ ride into the sunset or not. I doubt it but I'll never know.

@number12 I think it's the sensor. The Delivery manager said it's the (pinch?) sensor failing. We'll see what comes back when I take re-delivery.

As mentioned before, the FWD did not open fully at the delivery center with high ceiling / open area. That's your first indication the chrome-scratching will occur because that's exactly what happened to mine. My driver side FWD did not open fully during delivery. The DES just said oh you can just override it blah blah. I thought that was odd but then I was focused on other things. Apparently that's your first sign of sensor fail.

I might be the first person to report the actual cause as they already took it back on my delivery day to the shop to fix. ETA Monday but who knows. I should hear back today (Monday).

Just so you know i got my car last friday and the driver side FWD makes a clicking noise when i open it. I have an appointment with the SC tomorrow at 8am... Sucks but i need to say that other then that and maybe a few little things the car is just amazing!

But yeah... for 160k there should not be any issues... but again this company is going through a huge growth period.

Just so you know i got my car last friday and the driver side FWD makes a clicking noise when i open it. I have an appointment with the SC tomorrow at 8am... Sucks but i need to say that other then that and maybe a few little things the car is just amazing!

But yeah... for 160k there should not be any issues... but again this company is going through a huge growth period.
VIN and build date?

Trying to find some rhyme or reason to this clicking? Pre asked my Ds ab it tomorrow and he said he has never heard ab it

Has anyone had spoiler alignment issues addressed? Mine dips on one side and sticks up on the other when stowed. Wondering if it's a big job to adjust. The issue is noticeable enough to bother me, but not sure if I want it fixed if it means a lot of disassembly work. Things tend to never go to back together the same way.