Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For everyone saying the MCU doesn’t matter. My brother got the MCU 1 right before MCU 2 was coming out and the infotainment couldn’t be more useless. Very slow and impossible to use apps on. Sometimes the Bluetooth doesn’t work maps don’t show the directions, turns off by itself. Cars a late 2017 build. Obviously intel atom is a lot better than MCU 1 but no way it doesn’t age the way MCU 1 does.
Also waiting for my car and praying it has Ryzen but regardless I can’t cancel even if I wanted to. You have 3 months of holding from order date and that ends on the 25th of January. Plus I’ve been living with one car since October 26th so done waiting. My build is 2500 cheaper than the current price so I’ll see that as getting MCU4 when it does come out lol.
Seems like it’s every 4-5 years there’s a new MCU, people with intel right now show the screen is still running perfectly unlike MCU1.
In 4-5 years I’ll use this 2500 discount to get MCU4 and be happy lol.
The paralysis waiting for new stuff is real and I’m over it.

I am fully aware that 2022 MYPs will continue to function well into the future. That is not my point.

My point was that the Intel Atom will have a noticeably more difficult time running apps than the Ryzen in several years that a potential purchaser will recognize. The fact that additional generations of CPUs will be out in several years seems to just further that point, since that is going to accelerate the "processing gap" between what the Atom can handle versus the future-gen CPUs.

The question then is what kind of apps that will impact? And truth be told, we really don't know. Yes, for now Tesla's big CPU drainers are the "parked apps," but none of us in this forum have any idea where Tesla goes with its apps from here or whether the CPU will play a major factor in other areas of functionality like Maps/Nav/FSD in the future. It certainly seems likely.

I don't know that its "laughable" for people to be concerned about that. Like I said, I'm not rejecting my MYP if it has an Atom. But I also expect it will impact my resale price if I wait beyond two years to sell for the reasons I mentioned, especially if Tesla starts expanding the universe of apps/functionality that heavily rely on faster and faster CPUs.
In addition to what you've said, it's possible that the expected App Store will only be available on Ryzen vehicles. Regardless of what anyone wants to believe, if that ends up being true, that's a huge differentiator and no doubt would set apart an Intel 2022 vs an AMD 2022.

For everyone saying the MCU doesn’t matter. My brother got the MCU 1 right before MCU 2 was coming out and the infotainment couldn’t be more useless. Very slow and impossible to use apps on. Sometimes the Bluetooth doesn’t work maps don’t show the directions, turns off by itself. Cars a late 2017 build. Obviously intel atom is a lot better than MCU 1 but no way it doesn’t age the way MCU 1 does.
Also waiting for my car and praying it has Ryzen but regardless I can’t cancel even if I wanted to. You have 3 months of holding from order date and that ends on the 25th of January. Plus I’ve been living with one car since October 26th so done waiting. My build is 2500 cheaper than the current price so I’ll see that as getting MCU4 when it does come out lol.
Seems like it’s every 4-5 years there’s a new MCU, people with intel right now show the screen is still running perfectly unlike MCU1.
In 4-5 years I’ll use this 2500 discount to get MCU4 and be happy lol.
The paralysis waiting for new stuff is real and I’m over it.
Nobody is saying it doesn't matter. The A/B comparisons done when it turned up over in the China facility showed the primary difference to be application load times, which could just as easily be faster RAM / SSD as anything related to the CPU. It'll certainly matter for gaming, but I don't understand why someone would be super concerned Atom's will suddenly turned into a dog because Ryzen entered the supply chain. They could also offer features / apps that only run on the Ryzen equipped vehicles, in fact it's highly probable.

But then we're back to the main crux of this "new features are coming paralysis mode", and you should just never order or take delivery of a car, because new stuff will start trickling into vehicles, thanks to Tesla's continuous improvement build model.

In 5 years not one person will even know the difference. They will know it as a 2022. Period.
I would agree with you if Tesla didn't manufactured cars with Ryzen chips, but they do. I don't want to be the guy paying Tesla $2k-$3k in three to four years because I can "upgrade" the MCU while Tesla decided to ship about 20%( at this time) of the cars with Ryzen . I disagree with you on "always be a

next thing", at least for the moment. The MY is at the crossroads due to new casting, new battery pack and everything that comes with MY2.0. Let me ask you a question. In 5 years from now, which model Y do you think will sell better as used car? The MY 2022 (with 2020 hardware on it) or MY2022 V2 (new Ryzen, new battery pack and all the goodies)? Like I said, I would take the delivery if it had at least the new Ryzen on it.

Sold our S & X four years later. Everyone was asking if I had MCU1 or MCU2. HW 2, 2.5, or 3. Smart air suspension or no. Not exactly a fair comparison, but you get the idea. Comma.

Last edited:
Sold mind four years later. Everyone was asking if I had MCU1 or MCU2. HW 2, 2.5, or 3. Smart air suspension or no. Not exactly a fair comparison, but you get the idea. Comma.
I think it's a fair comparison and important data point for sure. *If* Tesla starts offering a bunch of functionality unique to the Ryzen *and* offers no MCU upgrade path for Atom owners, it *may* create a sticking point or lower resale value problem for would-be sellers.

That's an awful lot of speculation, and the same questions could be asked for a few key upcoming features that should make everyone who overindexes on resale value concerned. They should halt their order process now and wait for them to ship IMO - front and rear mega castings, new battery tech - to be specific. I'd argue these are a lot more important to consider than an upgradeable (theoretical, but probable based on prior "art" in other Tesla models) Atom -> Ryzen changeover.

I think it's a fair comparison and important data point for sure. *If* Tesla starts offering a bunch of functionality unique to the Ryzen *and* offers no MCU upgrade path for Atom owners, it *may* create a sticking point or lower resale value problem for would-be sellers.

That's an awful lot of speculation, and the same questions could be asked for a few key upcoming features that should make everyone who overindexes on resale value concerned. They should halt their order process now and wait for them to ship IMO - front and rear mega castings, new battery tech - to be specific. I'd argue these are a lot more important to consider than an upgradeable (theoretical, but probable based on prior "art" in other Tesla models) Atom -> Ryzen changeover.

Similar to older 911s and the IMS. Its the first thing that gets asked about for certain year ranges...

Reactions: Dimundz
Sold our S & X four years later. Everyone was asking if I had MCU1 or MCU2. HW 2, 2.5, or 3. Smart air suspension or no. Not exactly a fair comparison, but you get the idea. Comma.
If you say so comparing apples to oranges then please anyone that gets a white on white MYP in the next few days please let your SA know that I will take it. You all can keep waiting for “the next best thing”. In 6 months there will be another announcement of another Tesla upgrade so might as well just keep playing the hold game and watch on the sidelines. I would like to get my damn MYP and start putting miles on it. Oh and by the way they have been making 911’s since 1963 and there were two years on a bad IMS issue. Again comparing apples to oranges. I will make sure I report back here in 3-4 years when I go and sell my 22 “intel” car that will have been kept in perfect condition if that effects my sale price. Peace out.

Similar to older 911s and the IMS. Its the first thing that gets asked about for certain year ranges...
Slightly different in that the IMS bearing failure was just that - a failure - not a component change that may have some impact on features or functionality available to later equipped vehicles. (well okay they made a change but it was to avoid catastrophic (and expensive) failure!)

Raleight and Atlanta are probably close. My EDD is now 1/31-2/28, so very close to you guys as well.

OD: 11/6
MYP MSM / Black / No Tow/ No FSD
Just checked mine:
OD: 12/6
MYP MSM/Black/Tow/No FSD
EDD was 2/4-3/4 and now 2/25-3/25

Sort of a kick in the pants. I actually just spoke w/ a BMW dealership about an IX and they estimate fall if I order one now but then when I asked about ordering an X3M, they said they could get one in 4-6 weeks.....Hmmmm....decisions.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but do you know that for sure? They've all but confirmed production of some pre-production models. These may not be customer delivery cars, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are NOT Austin-produced Ys
Yes. How? I looked at the picture and didn’t just “hope”

Over half of those cars are not Ys. There’s even a BMW i3 in there. The ones that are Ys, a lot have tint on them. And last, there are L2 chargers at those parking spots. So in other words it’s an employee parking lot. And unsurprisingly, a lot of Tesla employees seem to have… Teslas. :cool:

Reactions: Dirtman16