Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone get their apology or explanation email or text from Tesla? No? Nobody? No one get a "Hey, I know we sent you text's confirming you'd be getting your car in September, and that we assigned you a VIN for a period of time, and our delivery team confirmed you were receiving your car, and then -- it all disappeared and reset. We'd like to apologize for the inconvenience this might've caused you. Here's what happened...."

Did Tesla send ANY communication to ANYONE about what happened and what happens next? Are we guaranteed to be in the next batch? Or are we all back in the giant Bingo hopper (at the mercy of the great algorithm in the sky)?

Asking for a friend.
Deep breaths...

I reached out to my SA when I got bumped early this week. He responded 2 days later. Said it is a system issue when that happens most of the time and they are working to get cars out asap.

Generic. Not really an apology, but I still don't expect to get my car today. I would be blown away if it showed up over the weekend.

Generic. Not really an apology, but I still don't expect to get my car today. I would be blown away if it showed up over the weekend.
I'm beyond expecting or even wanting an apology. I'd do for a simple explanation from a real live person. ... That being said, as the buying experience goes, it's still far better than my Toyota rep said I could expect from the Toyota dealership. For me, it was down to either MYP or RAV4 Prime ... but the latter would have been $60K and a 5-month minimum wait.

Needless to say, that made MYP the easy choice.

I'm beyond expecting or even wanting an apology. I'd do for a simple explanation from a real live person. ... That being said, as the buying experience goes, it's still far better than my Toyota rep said I could expect from the Toyota dealership. For me, it was down to either MYP or RAV4 Prime ... but the latter would have been $60K and a 5-month minimum wait.

I went to check out a the Toyota Highlander and saw a 5k markup. I asked the sales guy what’s up with that, and I got badly toned educated about the recent chip shortage lol

I’ve never got a clear answer on why year matters?
I thought for Tesla it especially DIDNT matter.

but to answer your question. Model year didn’t cross my mind at all, because of ^^. They make updates on their own schedule, and if I waited for every update to order, I’d never order.
I was told November by SA and website.
EDD was then 10/3-11/2.
Now it’s back to Nov, so I can’t be too upset. Just annoyed I got my hopes up.
for those recently ordered and expect Oct-Nov delivery, are you expecting a 2021 or 2022 model? from what I read last year they switched around mid OCtober
Tesla historically begins production of the next model year in October. It seems likely that this trend will continue, but has not been explicitly confirmed. This would imply that initial October deliveries will be 2022 models, but much to @Tabor's point, Tesla implements updates incrementally and those first October builds will likely be nearly identical (if not identical) to 2021 models built at the end of September.

As it pertains to later October or November deliveries, there's a chance that some of these could be "true" 2022 models (as in they do have some of the upgrades Tesla has been planning, primarily the 4680 battery cells) though I wouldn't hold my breath. Due to supply and logistics issues facing the entire industry, Tesla is increasingly behind on using the new battery tech and has publicly stated that they are continuing with the original batteries for the time being. It's unclear when this will change, but I highly doubt they are able to do this at full production scale until weeks into the quarter. If we see that suddenly Cybertrucks and new MX/Ss are in production, that is likely a sign that the new batteries are being produced.

This is all to say that anyone who's bound for an early-mid October delivery should probably assume they're getting essentially a 2021 model perhaps with a superficial year upgrade. For those looking more at a November timeline, the question is relevant but there should be time to for the answer to come into focus before taking delivery. Anyone even further out, maybe even expecting a 2022 delivery, will have the benefit of seeing what people are reporting in the lead up to their delivery.

The group I expect to have the most difficulty mulling this over are people who are slated for a Q1 2022 delivery but get the chance to buy generic inventory some time in Q4. If you're looking at the opportunity to purchase a car months before your EDD, I wouldn't blame you for thinking very seriously about the pros and cons of waiting.

Reactions: Tabor

Tesla definitely knows that despite it's own customer service woes, they still hold leverage over basically all direct competition. This is terrible from a consumer POV, but I guess it is what it is.

When I was considering options before going with MYP, the decision was made simply due to vehicle specs and I knew even then that Tesla would have to truly screw me to change my mind. It doesn't feel good knowing I am at least indirectly fueling this fire, but that hasn't stopped iPhones from being far and away the most common smartphone domestically...

I think I'm going to just remove the dual motor decals, but those are quite nice honestly
I had Auto Armor in San Diego remove mine when they wrapped my T's red. I just ordered the AO version to replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 58
My 9/29-9/30 delivery date got pushed to 10/23-11/12. Also delivery to So Cal, originally ordered 8/24. Silver/black interior. Good luck! Hopefully your delivery date doesn't get pushed back more.

If the order gets pushed back again to mid/late December, I'm thinking of just going with an EV6. I like the look of it more, but didn't want to wait until January for a new car.
The EV6 is really intriguing and I honestly see that as a better competitor to MY than even the Mach-E. The only thing that would make the decision hard in my mind is that the GT model wouldn't be available until late 2022. The AWD version that will immediately be available will still be very powerful, but falls short of a MYP.

The EV6 is really intriguing and I honestly see that as a better competitor to MY than even the Mach-E. The only thing that would make the decision hard in my mind is that the GT model wouldn't be available until late 2022. The AWD version that will immediately be available will still be very powerful, but falls short of a MYP.

The AWD is supposed to get 314 miles, I think that would be good enough for me. I'm a little more worried about the range than the power (since I'm guessing it'll still have more power than my Maxima). Most of the driving I do in traffic can't use it anyways... and it will probably save on getting new tires so often.

Reactions: Ormond
The AWD is supposed to get 314 miles, I think that would be good enough for me. I'm a little more worried about the range than the power (since I'm guessing it'll still have more power than my Maxima). Most of the driving I do in traffic can't use it anyways... and it will probably save on getting new tires so often.
Ironically, I don't think range will ultimately be much of an issue. 314miles puts it on par with MYLR and ahead of MYP on paper and I believe Kia tends to be more like other automakers by advertising a range that is lower than what you can realistically get. In the universe of cars, the amount of power you can get from MYP doesn't really mean much when it comes to urban driving with traffic and the EV6 has plenty for that. In my mind, it's a little bit more related to value; the highest spec EV6 is still about the same cost as a MYLR and close to MYP but without the software, charging network (at least for now), and less power. It's very close though and definitely worth considering depending on the individual and their circumstance.

Reactions: Viv1984
Tesla historically begins production of the next model year in October. It seems likely that this trend will continue, but has not been explicitly confirmed. This would imply that initial October deliveries will be 2022 models, but much to @Tabor's point, Tesla implements updates incrementally and those first October builds will likely be nearly identical (if not identical) to 2021 models built at the end of September.

As it pertains to later October or November deliveries, there's a chance that some of these could be "true" 2022 models (as in they do have some of the upgrades Tesla has been planning, primarily the 4680 battery cells) though I wouldn't hold my breath. Due to supply and logistics issues facing the entire industry, Tesla is increasingly behind on using the new battery tech and has publicly stated that they are continuing with the original batteries for the time being. It's unclear when this will change, but I highly doubt they are able to do this at full production scale until weeks into the quarter. If we see that suddenly Cybertrucks and new MX/Ss are in production, that is likely a sign that the new batteries are being produced.

This is all to say that anyone who's bound for an early-mid October delivery should probably assume they're getting essentially a 2021 model perhaps with a superficial year upgrade. For those looking more at a November timeline, the question is relevant but there should be time to for the answer to come into focus before taking delivery. Anyone even further out, maybe even expecting a 2022 delivery, will have the benefit of seeing what people are reporting in the lead up to their delivery.

The group I expect to have the most difficulty mulling this over are people who are slated for a Q1 2022 delivery but get the chance to buy generic inventory some time in Q4. If you're looking at the opportunity to purchase a car months before your EDD, I wouldn't blame you for thinking very seriously about the pros and cons of waiting.
thanks, I have a MYL on order which I'm planning to switch to performance, but don't really need the car until November/December time and worried that if I switch now, I could potentially miss on a few new features. I'm aware the 4680 battery likely won't happen but there could be smaller handy features that I'd like and miss out on. I tend to keep cars 10-14 years and rarely upgrade so I'd prefer to wait a little if it means more features I can use for 10+ years.

Not sure when I should switch my order as well if I'm looking for end of Nov- end of Dec delivery date (Canada)

Ironically, I don't think range will ultimately be much of an issue. 314miles puts it on par with MYLR and ahead of MYP on paper and I believe Kia tends to be more like other automakers by advertising a range that is lower than what you can realistically get. In the universe of cars, the amount of power you can get from MYP doesn't really mean much when it comes to urban driving with traffic and the EV6 has plenty for that. In my mind, it's a little bit more related to value; the highest spec EV6 is still about the same cost as a MYLR and close to MYP but without the software, charging network (at least for now), and less power. It's very close though and definitely worth considering depending on the individual and their circumstance.
Yeah, if I get the MY by mid November, I'm going to go with it. I like the advantages of the tablet a bit more. But I do like the look of the EV6 more and would probably use the AR more than a lot of Tesla features. I do a 220ish mile round trip 3-4 times a week, so if it lasts for that whole trip I'm good. I don't do very many road trips where I'd need a charger.

I don't find Tesla to be a "car buying experience" per se.... but more like a lottery.

Reactions: Jbapckfan