Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something that I do think Tesla should change: lock in when someone will be getting their vehicle as the production date nears, so that even if someone swaps to a P, that person isn't bumped from their place in the queue.

Eg. for all the frustrated folks chiming in today, suppose they enter their first 2-week window. Tesla should commit to building their vehicle, and have the swappers get in line for the next 2-week window.
Then you're just bumping people right outside of that cutoff, still screwing the line at a different point.

To me it would be fair to use the swap date as the new OD on the P queue.

Funny - I actually found the demo MYLR (20" Induction/ Goodyear tires presumably) back in October/Nov 2021 to be bumpier than my MYP (21" Michelin).
A big reason I didn't order a P in the first place was all the stuff I heard about the rough ride.

Test drove it and didn't see what the big deal was. But I guess it's because I look at it as a sports vehicle that just happens to be practical. I've never liked cushy feeling cars. I need information from the road.

Then you're just bumping people right outside of that cutoff, still screwing the line at a different point.

To me it would be fair to use the swap date as the new OD on the P queue.
What I'm implying is that Tesla should lock in a "Guaranteed to be delivered" range for every buyer. Any EDD before that range should be an estimated range, so that people don't start selling their cars and locking in financing rates thinking they'd get their cars imminently.

Using the swap date as OD is not ideal for Tesla. They'd lose all the customers who wanted to swap.

Reactions: robeeen
Really isn’t the entire problem Tesla’s business model? You know, delivery the most they can per quarter and make the most highly profitable cars quicker.

If they were a people oriented company they would try to be as fair as supply supports and once they made and shipped a car give you more than three days to get it or lose it. (It’s not like they don’t have room at the dealerships)

Reactions: gsugators
I think a lot has to do with supply chain and increasing costs associated. So for example - if you ordered in 2021 and are locked into a price range for LR and P and Tesla wasn’t able to manufacture at the pace they expected due to supply constraints - in todays supply costs, Tesla wants to get those orders fulfilled asap be it if the order switched to P or not because the costs of components for those cars have increased (they might have only locked in a certain date range of fixed supply costs themselves.)

This because I’d wager a guess that Tesla is forecasting the component costs to increase further. They’ve already priced this into current orders but they’re in a model where they haven’t priced it into past ones. So they need to get the past ones fulfilled at the cheapest cost possible before the component costs increase further.

There was probably a “happy window” where the difference in price between P and LR mitigated this and allowed for P to be prioritized (Q1) but looking at how they’re bumping the orders it seems this time has passed.

In the end, its lucky us who’ve got the prices locked in because of I’m right they’re forecasting to only go in up direction moving forward. Still wish my 03/04 order would have got a vin by now the way that people who switched from a Nov LR order to P on that date already have though.

I think a lot has to do with supply chain and increasing costs associated. So for example - if you ordered in 2021 and are locked into a price range for LR and P and Tesla wasn’t able to manufacture at the pace they expected due to supply constraints - in todays supply costs, Tesla wants to get those orders fulfilled asap be it if the order switched to P or not because the costs of components for those cars have increased (they might have only locked in a certain date range of fixed supply costs themselves.)

This because I’d wager a guess that Tesla is forecasting the component costs to increase further. They’ve already priced this into current orders but they’re in a model where they haven’t priced it into past ones. So they need to get the past ones fulfilled at the cheapest cost possible before the component costs increase further.

There was probably a “happy window” where the difference in price between P and LR mitigated this and allowed for P to be prioritized (Q1) but looking at how they’re bumping the orders it seems this time has passed.

In the end, its lucky us who’ve got the prices locked in because of I’m right they’re forecasting to only go in up direction moving forward. Still wish my 03/04 order would have got a vin by now the way that people who switched from a Nov LR order to P on that date already have though.
Excellent point! Makes a lot of sense.

Winning Guy,

So, the SC Camarillo, called me that my car would be ready for pick-up Wednesday, I told them do not wash it as it was going straight to get PPFd, and they will review the car and will report back any findings, a few minutes later they called me back and found a chip and a small dent. Rather than having me pick it up, they now are sending it out to get fixed, which pushed my pick-up to Wednesday of next week.

Be sure to go over your car thoroughly, or get someone professional to review it, as I am doing.

-Robert
Professionally review a car? Tesla owners are the craziest for spending money on silly things.

PPF the whole car for $7k!!!! 10 layers of ceramic coat another $2k!!!!

Sometimes I think I’m on a Bugatti forum. Y’all are nuts.