Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The compatibility warning on the website is due to the Sottozero tires not being rated for the top speed of the MYP(155 mph). If you don't plan on going 155 then you should be good.

Haha that makes sense.

I can't imagine going 155 in the MYP, but the Sottozero's are good up to 149mph which should be hopefully enough for anyone here.

I still would recommend going with R241's and saving some cash vs the gemini's though. With some research on this board, people have purchased sets for around 800 with a discount code.

Haha that makes sense.

I can't imagine going 155 in the MYP, but the Sottozero's are good up to 149mph which should be hopefully enough for anyone here.

I still would recommend going with R241's and saving some cash vs the gemini's though. With some research on this board, people have purchased sets for around 800 with a discount code.

Crud. Anyone know a winter tire that WILL do 155?

More importantly, how long does the Tesla train take from Freemont to Chicago and how long does the truck take from there to Devon??? It pinged this morning sitting Cali still...

1659392793849.png

This is the best advice. i've seen a lot of people get upset on here that their car was delivered with PZeros. With some people even going so far as to demand the delivery center swap their tires with another car on the lot that belongs to someone else.

I myself got suckered into believing the AS4 was a superior tire when that is actually subjective and i've grown to like the Pzeros more.

You get what you get. Its a Performance model, after all. I haven't seen such behavior with people picking up their Porsche, Mercedes AMG or BMW M.

Just buy a winter dedicated set of wheels like the rest of the world.
In this price range we should all be able to afford a second set of wheels and tires, $3,000 is not "nothing," but it shouldn't be make or break it with the car. I feel for those in apartments that can't store second sets of wheels... but this is also a nation that LOVES storage units and I wouldn't be surprised if many people already had one (I wouldn't get one JUST for wheels of course).

All seasons are ok, but they're not great. You still can get stuck in snow and still have issues with breaking distance on ice and snow. A dedicated winter set, even "performance" winter tires are MUCH MUCH better, and if safety is number one (or your spouse not getting stuck going up the mountain to ski with their friends or something) a winter tire is way better.

In the same spot, summer tires are fantastic on dry roads with decent temperatures. The stopping distance can NOT be beat by all season. If you're in an emergency braking situation sometimes tens of feet make the difference between hitting something and not and summer tires will shave every last foot off on stopping distance compared to all seasons. Often summer tires can also be BETTER at clearing water from the road compared to all seasons since the full tread can be dedicated to a couple major things (dry performance and wet). All seasons don't have any extra width but have to handle dry, wet, and slush/snow and that's just much harder (less rubber to design specifically for each situation).

If you're dead set on never changing wheels then all seasons are a must over just thinking you can run the summer in the winter and avoid snow. The temperature alone makes them unsafe. But if possibly, I totally would order the Gemini tire package from Tesla if you want OEM look and quality. If not, grab something from TSportline (18s or 19s) with a full winter tire since Tesla only offers a "performance" winter tire. (this is more designed for low temps and light, couple inches, of snow)

Crud. Anyone know a winter tire that WILL do 155?

More importantly, how long does the Tesla train take from Freemont to Chicago and how long does the truck take from there to Devon??? It pinged this morning sitting Cali still...

Continental makes a performance winter tire for Maserati that can do 168 mph.... it's only in a 22 inch though.

Pirelli makes a P Zero winter tire for a couple high end auto brands that also is 168 rated... might be able to fit that on the Tesla with some aftermarket wheels, but I know you're not actually look for that ;)

Well its not like I am turning it down for summer tires.

I saw a thing the Tesla site that said I had to be logged in to see if they would sell me the tires. I logged in and it said you dont have a car yet. I am guessing that is a no on selling me the 'wrong' size tire?

I saw compete sets with the same winter tire on tesla rims new on ebay for like 300 less. Have to look at the other rims too I guess. Well it wont be down to 40 for a while.
I think Tesla will sell you them... try calling your closest service center and requesting it to be purchased via your Tesla account. They'll probably tell you they don't fit, but just tell them you're completely aware of that and you would like them to order it for you anyway. I think they'll do it for you, or at least there have been reports of them doing it in the past.

Smaller wheels are lighter and tires that are more narrow (the 19s are still very wide, but compared to the 21s...) have less rolling resistance. Those two things are major factors that go to a more efficient (longer range from the battery) wheel and tire combo.

There might be some factor with the size of the wheels and the "gearing" that causes... but when the Model 3 was JUST being released, I actually think there was either some youtube engineering channels, Tesla themselves, or someone else fairly credible that showed the motors were actually in a sweet spot with larger (either the 19s or 20s) wheels compared to the others... I don't know if something changed, or the actual tire and tread pattern dragged them down past the 18 aeros that ship on the LR Model 3 or what, but obviously the Performance has shorter range just like it does with the Y.

Speaking of the aero covers, they do improve range. You'll still have a range improvement going from 21s down to 19s (even with winter tires) but you'll also have another little improvement with aero covers compared to without. I want to say some unofficial estimates put it around 5 to 8% better range with the covers on at highway speeds compared to without. On a ~320 mile range that could be somewhere in the 18 to 24 mile range that the aero covers account for (again at highway speeds 60mph+)

(Note; they hang on really well, except in deep standing water of more than a few inches, BUT, they do scratch the wheels. So if you plan on only having them on for road trips and the rest of the winter without, they'll eventually leave some scratch marks on the wheels after a few cycles of on/off)

In this price range we should all be able to afford a second set of wheels and tires, $3,000 is not "nothing," but it shouldn't be make or break it with the car. I feel for those in apartments that can't store second sets of wheels... but this is also a nation that LOVES storage units and I wouldn't be surprised if many people already had one (I wouldn't get one JUST for wheels of course).

All seasons are ok, but they're not great. You still can get stuck in snow and still have issues with breaking distance on ice and snow. A dedicated winter set, even "performance" winter tires are MUCH MUCH better, and if safety is number one (or your spouse not getting stuck going up the mountain to ski with their friends or something) a winter tire is way better.

In the same spot, summer tires are fantastic on dry roads with decent temperatures. The stopping distance can NOT be beat by all season. If you're in an emergency braking situation sometimes tens of feet make the difference between hitting something and not and summer tires will shave every last foot off on stopping distance compared to all seasons. Often summer tires can also be BETTER at clearing water from the road compared to all seasons since the full tread can be dedicated to a couple major things (dry performance and wet). All seasons don't have any extra width but have to handle dry, wet, and slush/snow and that's just much harder (less rubber to design specifically for each situation).

If you're dead set on never changing wheels then all seasons are a must over just thinking you can run the summer in the winter and avoid snow. The temperature alone makes them unsafe. But if possibly, I totally would order the Gemini tire package from Tesla if you want OEM look and quality. If not, grab something from TSportline (18s or 19s) with a full winter tire since Tesla only offers a "performance" winter tire. (this is more designed for low temps and light, couple inches, of snow)
I don't think anyone is complaining about the price, but how nice of you to dictate what others should be able to afford. That statement is ridiculous. Just because you can afford something doesn't make it something you should buy or even want to buy. I have never had anything but all season tires and I live in the Chicago Area. I have never had an issue. Yes snow tires are better, every one knows that, but some people are just looking for a simple driving solution that they have had their whole lives. Perhaps some of us have better things to spend or not spend our money on. "we should all be able to afford it" as reasoning, sounds like horrible reasoning.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the price, but how nice of you to dictate what others should be able to afford. That statement is ridiculous. Just because you can afford something doesn't make it something you should buy or even want to buy. I have never had anything but all season tires and I live in the Chicago Area. I have never had an issue. Yes snow tires are better, every one knows that, but some people are just looking for a simple driving solution that they have had their whole lives. Perhaps some of us have better things to spend or not spend our money on. "we should all be able to afford it" as reasoning, sounds like horrible reasoning.

I think you're taking his message a bit out of context. At the end of the day, it's always your money and your choice. And I have provided some advice on attaining a cheaper set of wheels and tires that would suit your needs, and if you sold your 21's you would likely net zero out of pocket.

It's a little bit extra legwork, but you know what you signed up for in terms of getting a MYP. Again, hopefully you do get the all-seasons, but if you don't, at least myself and others here have provided some viable alternatives for you.

Reverting your order back to an MYLR fixes all of these things, and I do find the MYLR to be a better value personally.

I think you're taking his message a bit out of context. At the end of the day, it's always your money and your choice. And I have provided some advice on attaining a cheaper set of wheels and tires that would suit your needs, and if you sold your 21's you would likely net zero out of pocket.

It's a little bit extra legwork, but you know what you signed up for in terms of getting a MYP. Again, hopefully you do get the all-seasons, but if you don't, at least myself and others here have provided some viable alternatives for you.

Reverting your order back to an MYLR fixes all of these things, and I do find the MYLR to be a better value personally.
I guess I'm a little put off by that statement because I have seen the exact same statement made in the PPF forum and the Ceramic forum. Seems silly to say its a tesla you can afford PPF, it's a Tesla you can afford ceramic, It's a Tesla you can afford a second set of wheels and tires. This tesla is really not that much more expensive then many ford's, chevy's, Honda's, Toyota's etc. It's not a Lambo. Then maybe I would understand the statement. Even still maybe someone wants a Lambo and to put both their kids through college or what ever. Unless you have no spouse or kids, there is always something important to spend money on.

When I "signed up" for the MYP I was specifically told in writing that I would get All Season tires, so not sure what you're referring to

Oh my! Its real!!

Hi congratulations, it's your turn to schedule your Model Y for delivery.

Select your tentative appointment now at tesla.com/schedule/

Appointment will be tentative pending on-time arrival and inspection of your Model Y. We may reach out to schedule a new appointment if your Model Y arrives earlier or later than we currently expect.

Anyone going to Devon on the 11th?

Last edited:

For the record I dont really care which I get. If i het the P zeros' I may buy Just AS tires or I may buy winter and rims. I haven't decided yet. I know what the options are and I am good with the it. I personally want the performance model, Just annoyed that when other people are looking for advice on what their options are and someone says its as tesla you can afford it.

When I "signed up" for the MYP I was specifically told in writing that I would get All Season tires, so not sure what you're referring to

Well good luck because there's no way of guaranteeing that. And if I was your advisor i'd be happy to just keep putting you in the back of the line until one eventually came in.

But i'm sure you'll be the guy that screams at the sales advisors (that didn't assemble your car) about it.