Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I "signed up" for the MYP I was specifically told in writing that I would get All Season tires, so not sure what you're referring to
I agree, while I wasn't told in writing but I read an article online that said they switched to the AS which appealed to me much more than the summer tires. But since I have come to terms with the fact that it could be either and am preparing for what I'll do in both cases. Good luck getting yours.

For the record I dont really care which I get. If i het the P zeros' I may buy Just AS tires or I may buy winter and rims. I haven't decided yet. I know what the options are and I am good with the it. I personally want the performance model, Just annoyed that when other people are looking for advice on what their options are and someone says its as tesla you can afford it.

Yeah of course there's levels to what people can afford and also what they're willing to buy post-sale. Everyone works hard for their money. I think in terms of what tires actually come on the car we are all well aware that there's no rhyme or reason to how the vehicles are built, but we can deduce that they're making far too many MYP's to stick with only one supplier of tires. Doing so would just prolong the wait period.

I don't blame you for not buying PPF, I do think there's a bit of snake oil also regarding ceramic coating.

Teslas are far too common and parts are in too much abundance to "necessitate" PPF. I gladly paid for both on my Porsche 911, but I usually just wrap my Teslas so I can put them through the cheap car wash and not get swirls.

Reactions: merc65fd
Yeah of course there's levels to what people can afford and also what they're willing to buy post-sale. Everyone works hard for their money. I think in terms of what tires actually come on the car we are all well aware that there's no rhyme or reason to how the vehicles are built, but we can deduce that they're making far too many MYP's to stick with only one supplier of tires. Doing so would just prolong the wait period.

I don't blame you for not buying PPF, I do think there's a bit of snake oil also regarding ceramic coating.

Teslas are far too common and parts are in too much abundance to "necessitate" PPF. I gladly paid for both on my Porsche 911, but I usually just wrap my Teslas so I can put them through the cheap car wash and not get swirls.
I actually have PPF scheduled, But I'm undecided and may cancel. Ceramic looks great but it wears off, I'm out.

I actually have PPF scheduled, But I'm undecided and may cancel. Ceramic looks great but it wears off, I'm out.

Ceramic coating is a huge scam within the industry right now. The truth is it does work, but not in the way that people think. It doesn't protect the car from anything at all. It's just a longer term coat of wax, that offers a deep shine just as wax does.

However, I am seeing lots of people getting ripped off because they are being charged top dollar ($500+) for coatings and all they get is a single stage spray ceramic sealant, or even a consumer grade coating that costs about 50 bucks online. There's no way for the buyer to know, and that's scary.

What we really should be discussing is which floor mats! I'm up in air between Taptes and 3d MAXpider, was considering Tesla Sheild but look like they are redesigning them for the YP and aren't out yet.

I have owned 3D Maxpider's on my 3, Chevy Bolt and Model X. Nowadays I just buy the cheapest chinese replica i can find on amazon that's the same style.

I hate the 3D logo with a passion, and it really cheapens the look of the car IMO.

I have the offbranded maxpiders for my MYP that I paid 99 for and they do the same job as the others, with minor fitment differences but not noticeable after the first day you put them in.

I similarly got an off branded kind for 2022 Model S, and they had perfect fitment. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the off branded ones and utilize amazon's return policy if needed.

Nice price. I wasn't initially looking at trunk and frunk but my trunk area of all my past SUV's seem like they could have benefited. Have you use them?

I purchased the frunk and sub trunk mats on amazon for like 20-30 bucks each.

But I went with the OEM Tesla Textile mat for the trunk. It's about 80 bucks, but by far the best looking option out there for the trunk. The 3D styled trunk mats just don't look great at all in the trunk, and have some strange brick pattern that I couldn't understand.

I guess I tend to be pretty aggressive with tires because to me they are a *huge* part of safety. I see too many people driving on cheap Walmart all seasons (worn at that) at 60+ mph while it’s snowing because they have an all wheel drive SUV or truck. I’ve also seen people here say they only deal with a few days where temperatures get below freezing so they’re probably ok with the summer tires. That compound can crack and become damaged in the low temps and unsafe in normal temperature afterwards.

I guess I’m just really trying to stress buying a second set, even if it means a couple thousand.

(Or all season, but I’m always confused why someone would get the top of the line car and then just a “good” tire instead of great…)

I guess I tend to be pretty aggressive with tires because to me they are a *huge* part of safety. I see too many people driving on cheap Walmart all seasons (worn at that) at 60+ mph while it’s snowing because they have an all wheel drive SUV or truck. I’ve also seen people here say they only deal with a few days where temperatures get below freezing so they’re probably ok with the summer tires. That compound can crack and become damaged in the low temps and unsafe in normal temperature afterwards.

I guess I’m just really trying to stress buying a second set, even if it means a couple thousand.

(Or all season, but I’m always confused why someone would get the top of the line car and then just a “good” tire instead of great…)
I'm more sold on the P zero's than I have been, but I would like to know how the A/S's handle in the Snow (not a foot but a few inches). If I do get the A/S's I'm wondering if I'll want winter tires. I imagine I'll most likely try them this winter to see. I don't think they were around last winter for many opinions. When I test drove I loved the ride but don't remember which tires even though I made it a point to look.

I'm more sold on the P zero's than I have been, but I would like to know how the A/S's handle in the Snow (not a foot but a few inches). If I do get the A/S's I'm wondering if I'll want winter tires. I imagine I'll most likely try them this winter to see. I don't think they were around last winter for many opinions. When I test drove I loved the ride but don't remember which tires even though I made it a point to look.
TireRack has some decent test results.

The Pilot Sport A/S 4 can brake in snow (25-0 mph) in 59 feet and on ice (12-0 mph) in 50 feet. A full winter tire like the VikingContact 7 will stop in 46 feet and 33 feet or a percentage difference of 25% and 33%. The performance Sottozero tire did much worse in the snow (72 feet) but almost as good as the full winter tire when on ice (34 feet). That test is a little harder to compare since it was on a 2012 BMW and the other two were on a 2020 BMW so there could be some updates to suspension and traction control and stuff, but I would bet 80%+ is down to the tires. The Sottozero 3 was also new in 2013/2014, so it's a fairly old tire compared to the VikingContact 7 and the AS 4. I'm actually surprised hey haven't released a new version of it.

For acceleration in snow (0-12 mph) the VikingContact did it in 24 feet, and the A/S 4 were 33 feet (32%).

Now on clear pavement the full snow tires are worse than A/S

50-0 braking dry / wet
A/S 4 83 ft 115 ft
VikingContact 96 ft 136 ft

An RPD of about 16-17%

The best bet if you are on clear pavement a lot but do have some snow (inches, or just ice) would be a performance snow tire, though I would not get the Sottozero (unless you want the ease of getting the tire package from Tesla). Instead I would get the Vredestein Wintrac Pro, a fairly new tire from 2018 that stops in the snow in 55 feet and ice 42 feet. That's a little better than the all season in the snow and 8 feet better (17%) on the ice, but it is almost ten feet worse on the ice than the full winter tire. The real benefit of the performance winter tire is on the clear pavement with dry stopping at 88 feet and in the wet 112 feet. That's just a couple feet longer in the dry than the all season and BETTER in the wet than the all season.

So again, I would invest in winter tires (xIce SNOW or VikingContact7) if you're planning to be in fresh powder that's fairly deep. I had 12 to 14 inches of powder with the xIce SNOW and my Model Y was, undramatic, which is exactly what you want. We don't even have that much ground clearance and I could stop in a completely fresh parking lot and pull away slowly, floor it, or back up and never even felt CLOSE to maybe getting stuck. All those YouTube videos the first winter that Model Y was released showing it getting stuck in parking lots with 4 or 5 inches of snow or a VERY slight grade were because of all season tires. This thing is a BEAST in the winter with good tires. If you're just in a bone chilling area with icing concerns and the occasional trip up the mountain after snow plows have gone by, performance snow tires like the Vredestein Wintrac Pro will absolutely destroy it. If you never see bad weather but just have days of dry 30 to 40 degree temps, then the all seasons at least keep you running year round.

• Informative
Reactions: CVChief
TireRack has some decent test results.

The Pilot Sport A/S 4 can brake in snow (25-0 mph) in 59 feet and on ice (12-0 mph) in 50 feet. A full winter tire like the VikingContact 7 will stop in 46 feet and 33 feet or a percentage difference of 25% and 33%. The performance Sottozero tire did much worse in the snow (72 feet) but almost as good as the full winter tire when on ice (34 feet). That test is a little harder to compare since it was on a 2012 BMW and the other two were on a 2020 BMW so there could be some updates to suspension and traction control and stuff, but I would bet 80%+ is down to the tires. The Sottozero 3 was also new in 2013/2014, so it's a fairly old tire compared to the VikingContact 7 and the AS 4. I'm actually surprised hey haven't released a new version of it.

For acceleration in snow (0-12 mph) the VikingContact did it in 24 feet, and the A/S 4 were 33 feet (32%).

Now on clear pavement the full snow tires are worse than A/S

50-0 braking dry / wet
A/S 4 83 ft 115 ft
VikingContact 96 ft 136 ft

An RPD of about 16-17%

The best bet if you are on clear pavement a lot but do have some snow (inches, or just ice) would be a performance snow tire, though I would not get the Sottozero (unless you want the ease of getting the tire package from Tesla). Instead I would get the Vredestein Wintrac Pro, a fairly new tire from 2018 that stops in the snow in 55 feet and ice 42 feet. That's a little better than the all season in the snow and 8 feet better (17%) on the ice, but it is almost ten feet worse on the ice than the full winter tire. The real benefit of the performance winter tire is on the clear pavement with dry stopping at 88 feet and in the wet 112 feet. That's just a couple feet longer in the dry than the all season and BETTER in the wet than the all season.

So again, I would invest in winter tires (xIce SNOW or VikingContact7) if you're planning to be in fresh powder that's fairly deep. I had 12 to 14 inches of powder with the xIce SNOW and my Model Y was, undramatic, which is exactly what you want. We don't even have that much ground clearance and I could stop in a completely fresh parking lot and pull away slowly, floor it, or back up and never even felt CLOSE to maybe getting stuck. All those YouTube videos the first winter that Model Y was released showing it getting stuck in parking lots with 4 or 5 inches of snow or a VERY slight grade were because of all season tires. This thing is a BEAST in the winter with good tires. If you're just in a bone chilling area with icing concerns and the occasional trip up the mountain after snow plows have gone by, performance snow tires like the Vredestein Wintrac Pro will absolutely destroy it. If you never see bad weather but just have days of dry 30 to 40 degree temps, then the all seasons at least keep you running year round.
Thats some good information. We probably do drive on clean dry roads 90% of the winter but cant control occasionally needing to go out in snow or ice. What rims do you like if you don't go with tesla?

Thats some good information. We probably do drive on clean dry roads 90% of the winter but cant control occasionally needing to go out in snow or ice. What rims do you like if you don't go with tesla?
I originally really liked the idea of Martian wheels because of the fully forged design and extreme light weight. However, they initially under estimated the weight by a pretty decent amount (can’t remember but I want to say they said 18 or 19 pounds per wheel and they now are saying 24 pounds). They never posted that it was an estimate and people didn’t find out about the actual weight until *customers* posted talking about the actual weight, then FINALLY after months they changed it on their web page. That just put a sour taste in my mouth. They might be great wheels, but $2,400 just for the wheels to only save ~5.5 pounds a corner isn’t worth it to me. (That’s still a big savings, but far less than what I thought was going to be like 10 pounds.)

I like the design that TSportline has and that they’ll put together a wheel and tire package for you with the OEM Bluetooth tire pressure sensors and Roadforce balance them and direct ship to your door so all you have to do is bolt them on… prices are pretty dang good too. But I personally don’t have a set. (Likely who I would buy from if I went 3rd party though)

What I like the most is official from Tesla. I like the 19” Gemini with the aero caps to squeeze every little bit of range out of them. That’s what I got for my winter set. Back in October of 2020 Tesla wanted $650 for just the wheel from the parts department. So the winter and tire package is actually a good deal, I just wish they offered a better winter tire. I ended up buying a set from a member here ( @jf64k , literally one of the most awesome guys I’ve dealt with!) that had just pulled them off and got an AMAZING deal at about $1650. (Just wheels & sensors, no tires) Then I got the Michelin XICE SNOW tires and got everything mounted and balanced. That’s my dedicated winter set which I’ll use on the Performance (if I can make this trade/upgrade work).

Ideally my favorite combo would be 20” Induction wheels for spring summer and the 19” Gemini with dedicated snow tires for winter. I would love if Tesla let people pick their wheel for the Performance, even if there was no discount. Loads of people try to sell those Uberturbines and struggle to get more than about $2,000 for them. I hardly see anyone selling Induction wheels here and the occasional Gemini set, but people snag those fast…

I originally really liked the idea of Martian wheels because of the fully forged design and extreme light weight. However, they initially under estimated the weight by a pretty decent amount (can’t remember but I want to say they said 18 or 19 pounds per wheel and they now are saying 24 pounds). They never posted that it was an estimate and people didn’t find out about the actual weight until *customers* posted talking about the actual weight, then FINALLY after months they changed it on their web page. That just put a sour taste in my mouth. They might be great wheels, but $2,400 just for the wheels to only save ~5.5 pounds a corner isn’t worth it to me. (That’s still a big savings, but far less than what I thought was going to be like 10 pounds.)

I like the design that TSportline has and that they’ll put together a wheel and tire package for you with the OEM Bluetooth tire pressure sensors and Roadforce balance them and direct ship to your door so all you have to do is bolt them on… prices are pretty dang good too. But I personally don’t have a set. (Likely who I would buy from if I went 3rd party though)

What I like the most is official from Tesla. I like the 19” Gemini with the aero caps to squeeze every little bit of range out of them. That’s what I got for my winter set. Back in October of 2020 Tesla wanted $650 for just the wheel from the parts department. So the winter and tire package is actually a good deal, I just wish they offered a better winter tire. I ended up buying a set from a member here ( @jf64k , literally one of the most awesome guys I’ve dealt with!) that had just pulled them off and got an AMAZING deal at about $1650. (Just wheels & sensors, no tires) Then I got the Michelin XICE SNOW tires and got everything mounted and balanced. That’s my dedicated winter set which I’ll use on the Performance (if I can make this trade/upgrade work).

Ideally my favorite combo would be 20” Induction wheels for spring summer and the 19” Gemini with dedicated snow tires for winter. I would love if Tesla let people pick their wheel for the Performance, even if there was no discount. Loads of people try to sell those Uberturbines and struggle to get more than about $2,000 for them. I hardly see anyone selling Induction wheels here and the occasional Gemini set, but people snag those fast…
Yeah I expected TSportsline to be cheaper than Tesla. But the tires choices are better.

I ordered Drag DR67 19x8 wheels for our Model Y. They’re $185 ea from Discount Tire. I also ordered Nokian Hakkapeliitta(?) 10 EV studded tires from Point S, 245/45/19 $350ea. I’m not using the TPMS with this set as I’ll only use them in severe weather conditions. They’ll fit both our YLR and YP.