Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent people who got Model Y/3...are you still receiving Mobile Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a M3 performance on Jun 2nd, 2022 and it was delivered Jun 25th. It did come with a mobile connector, nema 5-15 adapter, and a j1772 adapter (no 14-50 adapter.) I didn't think it would come with the mobile connector since I was offered to purchase it separately when ordered, in fact I ordered the wall connector thinking this.

I ordered a M3 performance on Jun 2nd, 2022 and it was delivered Jun 25th. It did come with a mobile connector, nema 5-15 adapter, and a j1772 adapter (no 14-50 adapter.) I didn't think it would come with the mobile connector since I was offered to purchase it separately when ordered, in fact I ordered the wall connector thinking this.
Ordered MY LR Jan 13 (Texas USA), Could not find out when it would come or what it would come with. Delivered May 13. Had 14-50 P => 10-30 R and 10-30 P => 5-20 R adapters, so I felt comfortable that I could adapt most anything I would encounter down to 120v 15a. So I also ordered a wall connector and a J1772 adapter to cover me at charging stations. And then Amazon Prime didn't ship the adapter (in stock) for a long time; the car was delivered with a J1772 adapter, and a mobile charging kit, so I canceled the Amazon order. But Tesla couldn't / wouldn't tell me if it would work to use the adapters to connect from a 14-50 R => 5-20 R to the 5-15 P adapter that came with the mobile connector in the charging kit that came with the car. Eventually I was able to buy from Tesla a 14-50 P adapter to the mobile connector. Happily, now I can charge from a 240 50a dryer or RV outlet, any J1772 charger or any residential 120v 15a outlet. No range anxiety here.

It is a little difficult to be unable to determine what will be delivered to you, until you have paid for it and have access to look in the box, but that's how it works. My suggestions to new buyers are:

Be patient and wait and see what you need, before you start buying stuff - there is no way to find out what you are actually going to get.

Wall connectors are wonderful, easy to install and a really nice solution for charging at home, if your situation will accommodate one.

If you didn't get a mobile charging kit with your car, then buy one from Tesla.

When you do get a mobile charging kit, if it didn't include a 120v 15a adapter, buy one from Tesla. If it didn't include a 14-50P adapter, buy one from Tesla.

IMHO, Tesla superchargers are about the same cost as other charging solutions and so much more dependable, available and reliable, there is very little need for a J1772 adapter. If you get one with your kit, great, if not, it's likely a never mind.

Ordered MY LR Jan 13 (Texas USA), Could not find out when it would come or what it would come with. Delivered May 13. Had 14-50 P => 10-30 R and 10-30 P => 5-20 R adapters, so I felt comfortable that I could adapt most anything I would encounter down to 120v 15a. So I also ordered a wall connector and a J1772 adapter to cover me at charging stations. And then Amazon Prime didn't ship the adapter (in stock) for a long time; the car was delivered with a J1772 adapter, and a mobile charging kit, so I canceled the Amazon order. But Tesla couldn't / wouldn't tell me if it would work to use the adapters to connect from a 14-50 R => 5-20 R to the 5-15 P adapter that came with the mobile connector in the charging kit that came with the car. Eventually I was able to buy from Tesla a 14-50 P adapter to the mobile connector. Happily, now I can charge from a 240 50a dryer or RV outlet, any J1772 charger or any residential 120v 15a outlet. No range anxiety here.

It is a little difficult to be unable to determine what will be delivered to you, until you have paid for it and have access to look in the box, but that's how it works. My suggestions to new buyers are:

Be patient and wait and see what you need, before you start buying stuff - there is no way to find out what you are actually going to get.

Wall connectors are wonderful, easy to install and a really nice solution for charging at home, if your situation will accommodate one.

If you didn't get a mobile charging kit with your car, then buy one from Tesla.

When you do get a mobile charging kit, if it didn't include a 120v 15a adapter, buy one from Tesla. If it didn't include a 14-50P adapter, buy one from Tesla.

IMHO, Tesla superchargers are about the same cost as other charging solutions and so much more dependable, available and reliable, there is very little need for a J1772 adapter. If you get one with your kit, great, if not, it's likely a never mind.
I've come across a couple situations in the past 2 years of owning a y where j1772 has been handy like charging while parking at airport or driving a distance for a theme park and seeing only reg ev charging where I was able to get a good enough charge to avoid having to stop on way back at night which is clutch. I wouldn't say a j1772 connector is necessary but I think at under $100 it's a worth while thing to have if you plan on keeping the car for a couple of years. More and more non Tesla chargers seem to be popping up at convenient locations to me

Reactions: legendsk

If you paid $200 for the charge kit then it should have come with the 14-50 adaptor but not the J1772. It sounds like they gave you the old one that was normally included with the car.

If you paid $200 for the charge kit then it should have come with the 14-50 adaptor but not the J1772. It sounds like they gave you the old one that was normally included with the car.
I didn't order the mobile connector kit, this one came free with the car. The mobile connector even shows as included on the MSRP window sticker. I did order the wall connector and that was shipped separately to my house a few days after I ordered the car. Before you finalize ordering the car they give you options to buy the mobile connector and/or the wall connector which is charged to your credit card separately from any financing loan, also it looks like buyers have priority over the Tesla shop inventory that shows these items as out of stock.